Oh, I am so glad Paul is going well. This time next year I think he will be happy with his new knees!!
Now as far as the constipation, have him take the Miralax every day. It is not habit forming and he will not develop
a physical dependency on it like other laxative type products. My Dr said it can be taken long term too unlike the others!!
I had terrible constipation after my replacement.. Lasted for a couple of months because of the pain meds. In Paul's case, it can also be because he is not physically active yet, and,that really slows down intestinal transit. My Dr is the one who told me to take it every day
and I did. It was the only thing that kept me regular those two months or so. My Dr said that stool softeners soften the stool, but don't really help with the slow intestinal transit that pain meds and immobility cause, so to stop them. They also contain sodium which isn't good for you on a regular basis. The active ingredient in Miralax is also used in some food products and candies! Believe it or not!!
The Miralax EVERY DAY, will not give him diarrhea or cramping either. If in doubt, just give him half a dose every day. It takes a couple of days for Miralax to work so taking a half dose every day will keep things regular.
It worked wonders for me..
If he is having an immediate problem, try the cocktail the nurse gave me!! She said they use it in the hospital for people that are very bound up after surgeries and such.. It is 4-5 ounces of a prune juice, one dose of Phillips Milk of Magnesia, and some 7-up all mixed in a glass. If a patient coudn't stand the taste, then just take the ingredient one right after the other..the Phillips MO, then drink down the prune juice, and follow it with the 7-up to kind of clear the taste.
I almost had to go to the ER after I got home from the hospital because of the constipation.. When she told me about this cocktail, my,husband went straight to the store while she was here visiting me and bought all the ingredients. She mixed it in a glass for me, I drank it, and within a few hours, it worked wonders!!!