TKR Chugging Down the Track to Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yippee.... Go Paul!

Wonderful news Judy :)
 
Wow Paul and Judy, you've come a long way!:thumb: Starting to stand on ones own after such a challenging beginning is absolutely exciting!

Stay well and stay strong my BoneSmartie friends, positive things are happening!

Thanks for the report Judy, you are a wonderful woman and Paul is lucky to have you by his side!:friends:
 
Had to go hunting for your thread Judy.. How is Paul progressing ? And also how are you coping?

Sending much love from down under :)
 
[Bonesmart.org] Chugging Down the Track to Recovery Paul had his 4 week appointment with his OS. Click the thumbnail for a larger view of his new knees and his nice straight legs. He is working very hard on standing using the parallel bars. He was able to stand for 3 minutes and 10 seconds yesterday before his doctor's appointment. There is a lot of muscle strengthening that has to be accomplished before he will be able to take steps. His OS told him that recovery was going to take at least a year and possibly longer given his physical condition before surgery. He's dealing with the reality of this right now and is feeling a bit discouraged. But he's a fighter and this will pass as he continues to improve.

He will be coming home on November 6th. We have ordered a sit to stand power lift to transfer him from bed to wheelchair and wheelchair to recliner and vice versa until he is able to do so himself. Once we don't need it, I'll let our oldest son put it on E-bay along with the ice machines and whatever else equipment we don't need.

I really believe that both he and I will feel much better once he's home. Spending 9 hours a day away from home has been wearing for me, and Paul has always been a homebody. I'm also hoping I'll be able to get back on the forum on a regular basis and start moderating again. I have missed all of my BoneSmartie friends. Keep us in your prayers---we need all we can get.
 
I can't tell you how happy I am for you both!! It will be so good when you are both able to be home.
Bless both of you!!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Chugging Down the Track to Recovery Paul had his 4 week appointment with his OS. Click the thumbnail for a larger view of his new knees and his nice straight legs.
I really believe that both he and I will feel much better once he's home.


What a fantastic report!
And I am always amazed at the before and after pics of crooked vs. straight legs.

I fully expect that you and he will be dancing next year. It may be a slow dance, but you'll be leaning and clinging to one another because you want to, not because you need the support to stand up. :thumb:
 
Awe Judy, it's starting to look brighter and I can only imagine how tired you are, mentally and physically! You and Paul have come a long way with lots of progressive achievements, and there are more challenges ahead, however try and keep in mind where you both started and how much more ahead you are. I so wish I could be there and give you both a huge hug! :console2: Hang in there Paul and Judy, life changing day are coming your way! :friends:
 
Very fine X-rays Of Paul's knees Judy.. How are you doing?

Sending love and hugs xx
 
Sending good wishes that Paul and you are doing well!! :SUNsmile:
 
Judy, I hope all is well now that Paul is home, hopefully all went without a hitch!

Wishing you and Paul the best!

Stay well my friends, many people are rooting for the two of you! :friends:
 
Yes, Judy, we are rooting for the two of you!! Please check in when you are able and give us an update.

My very, very, best to both of you. (((((((((((HUGS)))))))))
 
Judy & Paul I hope all is well and you're adjust to being home together. I also hope home rehab is going well.

Stay well and stay positive my friends! :friends:
 
Thanks for caring. Paul is not home yet. His PT and OT talked with admin and they made some special arrangements with us so Paul could stay a bit longer and get stronger. So he will finally come home on November 16---this coming Friday. He will get a regular wheelchair with arms that can be removed so he can transfer to another surface, a transfer board to do that on, and a new walker. I have ordered a battery powered "sit to stand" patient lift to be sure we can move him wherever he needs to be until he is able to walk with his walker without any assistance for long periods of time.

When Paul saw his OS, the OS told him he could expect total recovery to take at least a year and possibly longer considering all his issues. So we've been mentally, emotionally, and physically adjusting ourselves for the long haul. Paul will have been away from home for 8 weeks, and he is really, really, really ready to come home. And I am really, really, really ready from him to get here.

I try to check in with the forum in the mornings before I leave for the skilled care facility and again briefly in the evenings when I get home. I just don't have the time or energy at the moment to keep up like I should and it makes be feel a bit guilty. But once Paul is home and we get settled in, I believe that after Thanksgiving I will be able to get back to business as usual here on the forum. I am missing all of you, again thanks for caring, it means the world.
 
We're always glad to hear any update you have time to squeeze in Judy! I thought of Paul the other day, when Sonja again posted a photo of her in her anti gravity treadmill, thinking this might be something helpful to Paul at some point in his progress. A year or two seems a long time, but you've made the choice and committed to it. The alternative was to be in the very same spot in a year or two as where he's been all along. You'll think about that in a couple of years, hopefully, and be so thankful for the route you've gone!
 
Thanks for the update Judy! We all know how long a year + can seem to be, however we also know the older we get the faster time goes, unless of course when we are in the thick of things as you and Paul are.

Please stay positive and well you two, better days will be yours! :thumb:
 
Well it took me 1 year + to fully recover and I didn't have the issues that Paul is dealing with. Seems like things are starting to fall into place now - that's great! Hope you aren't wearing yourself out with all this Judy. Take some time for yourself if you can.
 
Judy, honey....please don't feel at all guilty. Life happens to us and things like this must take priority over BoneSmart. We are with you in spirit. You're doing a great job. Things will settle eventually and....BoneSmart will always be here! Do take care of yourself too. Sometimes it's easy to wear yourself to a nub during these stressful times.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom