TKR Chugging Down the Track to Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paul's weekend was the best 2 days he's had since surgery. Getting up with the sara lift is becoming easier each time--in PT they get him up and have him stand for 30 seconds then sit him down. Do this at least 3 time. Doesn't sound like much, but for him it's really good. He is close to 85% upright currently. Doing the standard glute squeezes, quad push downs, leg lifts, heel slides (as usual the least favorite), and abductor slides. Latest measurements are right knee-90 and -3, left knee 94 and 0. Spends 1 1/2 hours a day on PT and has 1 1/2 hours on OT each day. And he is staying up in his wheel chair most of the day. He gets his lower calf area wrapped with ace type bandages each morning---the TEDS were just too tight even though they were an extra large.

I took a copy of the pictures of his knees that I posted here---and everyone in PT and OT could hardly believe how bad the hyper-extension was. His inability to stand on his own with his walker is the result of lack of muscle strength and muscle memory. PT said that what little standing he did was supported more my ligaments than muscle. Once muscles are strengthened and his brain adjust to new body alignment, things will begin to progress along more normal lines.

He was on oxygen for over a week---took him off Friday after I left and has been off ever since. UTI is about taken care of, but was still having frequent bladder urges---so is now on medication to calm bladder spasms. He is beginning to feel much better about his situation. Think he has finally realized what bad shape he was in before surgery and accepted that this is going to be a much longer journey that either of us anticipated at first. PTs are excellent and are doing a lot to help him feel good about the improvements he's making slowly but surely. This will definitely be a snail's pace recovery---but it will be a recovery!

[Bonesmart.org] Chugging Down the Track to Recovery SNAILS ROCK!!!!!
 
So glad to hear he had a good weekend. Slow and steady wins the race.
His numbers are really good, considering how bad the hyper extension was. Good luck to you both with his recovery.
 
That's such encouraging news! It makes perfect sense that this is going to take Paul extra time, but there is so much to look forward to given time to heal and then time to build strength and balance! Time, time, time... Snails are tough!
 
Wow Judy this is such a positive outcome and yes I agree snails are great! You both must be so pleased every time Paul accomplishes a new task, as you should be!:thumb: I hope you're both taking some really nice deep breathes.

Stay well my friends and stay positive!:friends:
 
Just catching up, what wonderful progress. Doesn't matter if it's slow as long as it's progress. Praying for you both.
 
Judy,
So glad to hear about Paul improvements, and that his PT is working with him so well to gain the success he has had. Slow and steady will win the race as we all know, his recovery may be a bit slower but with you by his side he will get there.
 
Sheryl, Kathy, Janet, Jacky, KayeKaye, and Rose----thanks so much for you concern and kindness----it's just so nice to know that my fellow BoneSmarties are on the look out for my reports on Paul and are out there supporting both of us.

Today was another pretty good one. We have discovered that Paul needs to have his PT in the mornings and his OT in the afternoon. OT is working his upper body, arms, and shoulders pretty hard. So, if he has OT in the morning, he doesn't have the arm and shoulder strength he needs in the afternoon for PT when they get him up on the sara lift and want him to stand supported but with a lot of weight on his legs for 30 to 45 seconds. So we requested that make the change for us.

New numbers today are right knee 96 and left 98. So they are increasing a little each day--and swelling is decreasing as well. Ah, well tomorrow is another day!
 
Glad to hear his recovery is going so well. Sounds like each day it gets better and better for him. Big hugs for you too!
 
Glad to hear that Paul is moving forward. You will have to be patient, but really he needed this surgery. Kelly
 
Bottomshollo, how is Paul? Haven't seen an update. Is all OK?
 
Thanks for asking. Paul is improving slowly but steadily. Building muscle strength is not an overnight thing--he is getting stronger but still is unable to stand under his own power. The rehab center he's in is the perfect one for him, but Medicare may make it necessary for him to go to a skilled nursing facility where he'll get only 1/2 the rehab time he's getting now. Which means to me that it will take twice as long to get where he needs to get and cost just as much as if he stayed where he is.

He cannot come home until is he is able to stand and transfer himself from bed to wheelchair and wheelchair to recliner and to bathroom and into the car. Once he can do this, we can move on to outpatient PT as long as he needs it.

I am spending a lot of time with him at the rehab facility--he wants me there for his PT and OT sessions--I really don't think my house will ever get a good cleaning until he gets home. By the time I get back home and do the absolutely necessary things, I just have no energy or desire to do more. I am a morning person and if I don't get started early on things, they somehow never seem to get done---and I am never home in the mornings anymore.

Overall, Paul is in good spirits and recognizes how far he's come in the past couple of weeks---but still has moments of being really down and feeling that things won't get better. My being with him seems to help him a lot----so the dust bunnies just have free range to grow large and prosper.

 
I'm glad Paul's spirits are good. We are all rooting for both of you. I can imagine how tired you must be, and yes, the dust bunnies are not important right now. How long will Medicare allow him to stay where he currently is? Sometimes they are penny wise and pound foolish with their rules and regulations. I certainly hope Paul can improve enough to come home and not be sent to a skilled nursing facility. Some of them are not that great, and he won't get the kind of rehab and PT he needs.
I know he has the best advocate in the world for his care in you.
Has the surgeon or PT said anything about a time frame? Of course that is a tough call, but with his progress they must know something.
Is standing getting easier for him overall? I think about the both of you, and so want to see a post that says Paul stood on,his own!
This must be so frustrating for him and you too, but you know what recovery is like first hand and I know you will keep him from getting down hearted.
Bless you both, and please keep us informed. Let Paul know that he has folks here that are wishing him the very best, and there will be a collective cheer when he is on his feet, no matter how long it takes :happydance:
 
Judy, Dust bunnies? Not to worry just think of it as something the kitty can play with.:heehee: You and Paul have a long road ahead as you both know, and you have a lot of BoneSmart friends rooting for you both, as well!:friends:
Judy, please take time for yourself or you'll burn out! I know you may think it would be selfish to do so, but trust me
it's not!:console2: If you burn out it won't be any good for you or Paul. Take a day off, Paul will be in good hands, go out with a friend or just sit at home in your most comfortable spot and reflect, or read or just nap, do something for just you. But, one thing you can't do is clean house!
Remember, you can't keep Pauls spirits up if your spirit is low, "Put your life vest on, before you help someone else", "Put your oxygen mask on first before you help someone else", and so on and so forth. You get the idea!

Stay well, stay positive and stay strong my friend, you have helped so many others through rough patches, and now we all want the same for you!:friends: Prayers and well wishes are sent to you and Paul! Let us know how you and Paul are doing when you can. We'll always be here for you both!:angel:
 
Judy,
As I was reading your post, I thought the same as Jacky, that you need to take time out for yourself to recharge. The dust bunnies are a minor thing. After my first TKR, I had the windows open on the first warm day. There was a nice breeze, so I could watch the little dust bunnies and tufts of cat fur skitter across the floor. Yes, I had company too. But we just laughed and compared my home to a Wild West ghost town with tumbling tumbleweed. When time and energy were sufficient, the little things got taken care of. You are not a little thing, nor is Paul. Both need taking care of, not just one. Please.
Judy
 
I agree, Judy. Do be sure you're allowing some "me time" in there somewhere. It's hard work being a caregiver. Sometimes you have to put yourself first and get some needed rest or diversion so that your mind clears. I'm praying for you both!!!
 
Judy, I will give you an experience of mine. Bob was in the hospital for bypass surgery, he was in 10 days. He wanted me there for everything. I slept there in an uncomfortable chair, I was woken up 10 times each night. But, I kept on going.
Then one night, I realized that Bob was taking my presence for granted---I was just there. I got up and went into town and went to a movie, by myself. It was that cinderella movie with Drew Barrymore.

When I came out, I felt wonderful!!! I then went, got a hotel room, Visited Bob and slept for 13 hours. By the way, he still takes me for granted----BUT I don't take myself for granted any more. Kelly
 
Thanks to all of you for caring and being concerned for me. I'm getting a bit more time at home now and getting a good night's sleep every night.

Paul will be moved to a skilled nursing facility when a bed is available. His case worker made it pretty clear in a round-about way that Paul's staying longer would not look good on an audit for turnover time. Although it's a really good rehab facility, my lasting impression will be that looking like you're moving patients in and out at a good clip is more important than a patient who needs more time.

What this means for Paul and me is that we will have to do PT in his room on our own for at least 1 1/2 hours each day to make up for the time he won't get in the skilled nursing facility. We need to get him standing and being able to transfer himself so I can bring him home---so we will do everything we can to get there sooner rather than later.

I am a bit upset at the moment about this situation, but I know that after a night's sleep, things will look and feel better in the morning. And we will do what we have to do to get him up and moving on his own.
 
Hang in there. :console2:Keep on chugging, Paul.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom