Guest viewing is limited

TKR Chugging Down the Track to Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats on both fronts! Wow! Praying for you Paul, today.
 
bottomshollow;

Hi there Judy, just noticed you are online... How did Paul go with his second surgery?

Sending hugs xx
 
Thanks for asking. Second surgery went just great. Actually he was more alert and together after this one than the first. Now is has two new knees and no hyper-extension or knocked knees----so it's on to learning how to walk all over again. Couldn't stand after first surgery---so hoping with two done he'll be able to at least stand in place today when they get him up.

We'll be talking rehab with case worker today and get that lined up. I am thinking they will discharge him from hospital tomorrow and because he is not really mobile, they will transport him to the rehab center. Medicare will pay for 60 days of rehab. I hope he won't need to be there that long---but he needs to be pretty mobile before he comes home.

I am going to need a month's vacation----doing nothing but lots of sleeping, lying around, etc. to get over all of this. Gotta run, he'll be waiting for me to be there for breakfast. Again, thanks to everyone for your good wishes and prayers.
 
:yay: Judy, :goodpost: thank you for taking the time to post! This will be such a God sent for both of you! Get lots of well deserved rest my friend. :sleep:

We all know you are a positive thing person, so stay well and stay strong!

Paul, welcome to the other side! :thumb: Stay well and stay positive my BoneSmartie friend for soon you will be driving that pickup truck of yours! :friends:
 
Got a small set back today. Paul was not able to stand on his own and will have to go to an acute rehab center which is a bit further away from home, but has a very good reputation. They don't have a bed now---are hoping for one on Monday, so he will stay in the hospital 'til then. Since he is not mobile, the hospital will provide ambulance transportation for him.

He has not been able to actually stand up straight for quite some time, and his OS's PA explained to us that his hyper-extension was causing really bad erosion of the bone surfaces. He did have to have a unit of blood today, but is doing well otherwise. He really has experienced very little pain, has a good appetite, and nausea is under control also. Once we talked about how long it took him to get in the condition he is, we both realized that the recovery is going to be the long, long haul for us. But the end result for him will make all the hard work ahead of us worthwhile. So when I left the hospital tonight, he was in pretty good spirits.



Please continue to pray for us. Don't know when I'll be back on the forum full time----but as soon as I can I'm going for part time at least. So if I don't respond to tags, please know it's not because I don't care---each of you should know that I care very much about every member of the forum.
 
:cheers2:on the grandkid. Good wishes to Paul.
 
Hi Judy

You just concentrate on Paul and yourself honey.. Don't worry about the forum, it will be still around.. The pair of you have waited so long for this.. Take all the recovery time you both need.. sending Poppet to look after you [Bonesmart.org] Chugging Down the Track to Recovery

xoxoxoxoxox
 
Judy, you and Paul will be just fine and as you said it will take a lot of hard work from both of you. As far as you being on the forum? Well my dear you will always be on this forum and in our hearts. You have helped so many with your positive attitude, myself included, and we wish the best for you and Paul!

Stay well and stay positive my friend! :friends:
 
Today was a quiet day---Paul is the only patient on his hall--and it rained all day. He watched his Fox News and I read Windows 7 for Dummies. He told me that he felt better today than any day since he came to the hospital. All his vitals are good and his mood was much improved over yesterday.

I think that once he is able to stand and take a step or two, he will really be on his way. He realizes that his self-confidence is just not there, he can't seen to get coordinated when two PTs try to hold him up, and he is so afraid of falling.

I feel a bit more rested today than any day this week. I managed not to have to take so many long walks down hospital halls today, and as I said, just sat and read and talked quietly most of the day. I don't have much energy to do much now that I'm at home. And I plan to hit the hay no later than 10PM.

Hope to see my great-grandson Monday evening after I get Paul into rehab. And once he is in rehab, I will be spending a little more time at home trying to get things squared away for his return---I'm thinking at this point it will be at least 2 weeks and could be 3. Again, thanks to all of you for all your good wishes and prayers---I know they've helped.
 
:goodpost: It looks like things are moving toward the positive side. I don't blame him for being afraid to stand, because he's he'll fall, it's been so long since he has experienced standing unaided.

I'm glad that you were able to take today easy, somewhat. Rest as much as you can, because in reality you are experiencing as much if not more stress then Paul is. You are not lucky enough to have the heavy duty drugs that he is getting right now that allows him to rest. Your mind is very alert and very worried. He is in the best care so please try and rest your mind at ease.

Stay well and stay positive my friend. :friends:
 
Without having his history, even I was unable to take those first steps for a good week after surgery. He may just need those few extra days of healing like I did.
 
Bless you both! Hug that new great-grand baby, and get some much needed rest. :angel: :angel:
 
As you say - it took Paul a long time to get where his is today. It may just take awhile before things start clicking along. Hang in there Judy! Sending Paul some positive (((((((vibes))))))))! That fear of falling is a hard one!
 
Day 2 in rehab--got Paul up with a sara hoist (Google it, it's an interesting device). He had three hours total of occupational and physical therapy. Was pretty tired. He was unhappy with the fact that he has not had a BM since he went to the hospital on Sept. 24 in spite of having 4 laxative doses in the past 3 days. Rehab doc said they would give him a dynamite laxative that evening.

Today--day 3 in rehab and Paul's 69th birthday. Talked with him on the phone around 7am. He was upset that the laxative still has not produced results. I had to tell him to stop saying he is "fine" everything any of the rehab personnel ask him how he is. Told him he had to let them know when he is not "fine" and why and to demand some action. So today he was given 2 enemas---which only partially worked---had some more dynamite laxative after supper---no results so far---and will get another enema with some other ingredients tomorrow if this does not work tonight. Also discovered today that he has a UTI probably from the catheters. Goes without saying that his is a very unhappy camper right now. He did not do PT or anything else today. And did not enjoy is birthday!

On day 2, PT measured ROM-right knee is 83 flexion and -3 extension (this knee was -17extension before surgery) and left knee is 78 flexion and 0 extension (this knee was -14 extension before surgery). I think these are very good numbers for someone who is unable at the present time to stand on his own and has had very little exercise to bend and stretch over a two week period.

If the constipation issue is finally resolved tomorrow, therapy can really get underway---this has been really hard for Paul, and it is hard for me to have to just watch from the sidelines knowing there is nothing I can really do to change matters. But we knew it would be a long trip, and this is just the beginning, albeit a rough start, and we will make it to the end!

Again, I want to thank you all for your good wishes and encouragement---it means a lot.
 
Oh, bless both your hearts. Please wish Paul a happy birthday from all of us here. It wasn't a great one for him, but let him know he is in our thoughts as are you. I can imagine how helpless you feel to watch your husband struggle so and not be able to help.
He will feel so much better when he finally stands on his new knees for the first time.
Prayers going up for both of you dear heart. We are rooting for you both. :friends:
 
Here is a picture of our new great-grandson, Ethan Paul, who we are so proud of---and really just gaga over!

[Bonesmart.org] Chugging Down the Track to Recovery
 
Hope tomorrow is a productive day for Paul! You know these are the early days and can be ugly, but you also know it will get better. It must be hard to watch him go through this phase knowing first hand how difficult it can be. Easier to take it on ourselves sometime. My husband has no idea what I went through. Once I was in rehab, I only saw him at dinner time. Paul is lucky to have you there, of all people.
 
Judy,
He is absolutelt adorable, would just love to squeeze those chubby little cheeks. You have every right to be so crazy about him.
 
Oh, my goodness, he is so precious!!!
 
Hang in there Paul - good days are coming your way!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom