Guest viewing is limited

TKR Chugging Down the Track to Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Judy, you and Paul are being challenged to the enth degree! Hopefully the BM issue straightens out so you can move on with the recovery process and not feel so miserable and helpless.

Paul, I'm sorry that your birthday turned out to be a bad day for you, but just keep in mind all the wonderful birthdays you'll have once you get over this hurdle. It is a tough road you travel my friend, harder than for most, however please keep in mind that the road you were traveling before your TKRs was also tough with no improvement in sight. Please try and think positive, you'll need all your positive strength to recovery. Judy is there for you and she needs you there for her. Stay strong my friend good things have yet to come!
The numbers, flexion and extention, look very promising and positive!

Your new great-grandson, Ethan Paul, is absolutely gorgeous! It will be such fun to watch him grow! Congratulations!:thumb:

Here's wishing you both well and positive thoughts are being sent your way!:friends:
 
Thanks, Jacky, you are always so positive and upbeat---helps keep me there, too! I will give Paul your message. I talked with him early this morning and he said he was feeling more positive himself---will see him after lunch---

I'm afraid that Ethan (my hubby loves nicknames---so he will call him Scooter) will be spoiled by all of us---but I'm opposed to allowing bad behavior no matter how cute you are---and I think his mom is too---so I'm hopeful that handsome is as handsome does will be his motto as he grows up.

Will update this evening when I get back from the rehab center.
 
Well, the saga continues----Paul did finally empty out this morning, after having another enema. Was feeling pooped but better when the doctor came in the afternoon and determined that he had excessive swelling so he will be taking a low dose of Lasix for the next week. He also had ambulance from hospital come and get him and take him over to have an xray of his stomach to be sure there was no blockage of any kind. Paul is really stressed out over all of this---nerves are frayed---and he just feels like crying. Now he's worried that he may have stomach problems. Won't know results 'til tomorrow.

He still cannot get up on his own, was given no exercise the past two days, and today a PT (a small young lady) came in and wanted to sit him up---he looked at her and said "No way!" It is almost impossible to get some of these younger folks to understand his ataxia (lack of balance). She proceeded to do leg exercises with him lying on the bed---which would have been fine except she wanted to force his bend---and there he is with very swollen legs and knees. She caused him pain one time---and that was it. We had a few words---she insists that he won't be able to get flexion if he doesn't push now. I told her in no uncertain terms that she didn't know what she was talking about. And that we would go along with discomfort but NO PAIN. And that when the swelling goes down, there will be more flexion. She agreed reluctantly to accept our way.

He is becoming very discouraged. So I am working hard to keep him entertained when I am there and to look on the positive side of things. If we could just get past all these things we weren't counting on and get him on his feet, the world would become a much brighter place for him.

As you can see, I need this forum as much as anyone---I feel better just sharing this. Thanks for listening.
 
Aww Judy I have had my head buried is woe is me of late and missed this post, I am sooo sorry. Praying Paul finally gets that BM (that hurts when you can't go) and is able to get back to his PT. I will definetly keep him AND you in my prayers.

Ethan is absolutely gorgeous! I have 6 grandkids and they are the best! Big hugs and take good care of you too, you are important to us too. Hugs!
 
Judy, you are doing all you can as Paul's advocate, however it is understandable how hard this is on both of you. Things come up that we don't understand or expect, but we have to deal with. Not fair to say the least! Paul is lucky he has you by his side and are there to speak for him. That's what marriage is all about, we cover each others back!
Stay strong my friend, it's got to get better for two great people who love each other! :thumb:
 
I'm so sorry this has been so hard. I hope and pray things begin to improve....NOW!
 
You are amazing Judy!

Paul will stand, he will recover, you will rest and recover, you will have a better life together... We are all believing that and won't accept anything less...

Rest well yourself :)
 
Once again, thanks to each of you for your support and encouragement and positive vibes----it makes all the difference to know others care and are concerned. I am managing to get more hours of sleep and rest which is helping my outlook a lot. Am praying that the rest of this week Paul's swelling will diminish, his UTI resolve, and his outlook brighten.
 
Judy, life is just one thing after another!! I am sorry that Paul is having such a difficult recovery. I would love to have seen you dress down the pt!! I know that you are a good caregiver and I am also glad that you are taking time to rest yourself. k
 
Friday was a much better day for Paul. They got him up and helped him dress. He had breakfast and went to physical therapy in the morning. He had lunch and went back for more physical therapy. He was in PT when I got there. They have determined what they need to do to get muscles strong enough and reeducated enough for him to stand---may be late next week before that happens. His right knee bends 92 degrees, his left about 86 and extension is no problem.The lasix has helped and swelling has gone down quite a bit which is also a help.

His mood and outlook is improving a bit, too. A few more good PT sessions and finding things a bit easier each time will really help him begin to feel he'll get there. He sat up with me when he got back from PT until about 4:15pm--he'd been up since 5:30am--so he was pretty pooped. I left after he had supper---he did not call me, so he must have gone right to sleep.

I usually go visit after lunch, but today I'll be there by 9:00am---today is going to be nice and there will be rain tomorrow and the grass has GOT to be cut----and I'm the only one here to do it---although my grandson said he would try to get over and help me if he could. But I really LIKE to mow the grass anyway, so if I have to do it alone it's okay. More later.
 
:goodpost: Wonderful report Judy! :thumb: I am sure he will smile to himself every time he does one ste forward in recovery! I know I did!

Stay well my friends and stay positive! :friends:
 
JUdy, I am glad to hear that things are smoothing out for Paul. It is hard seeing your husband struggling, but it seems like he is on the recovery road right now. K
 
Catching up on this thread too. Judy you are such a good advocate for Paul. I hope all will start to improve with him soon. Your great grandson is just delicious looking. I can't wait for my second grandbaby. Hope to find out what it is in a few weeks.
 
Good to hear that he is doing better.

Like you, I like mowing the lawn myself (got me in trouble though mowing it at 3 weeks post-op, :whistle:!) Next I will (maybe) know better...hahahaha!

Hope you both have a good weekend...T.
 
Judy,
So happy to hear that Paul is doing better. Sounds like things are going in the right direction now. Still saying prayers for both of you for a progressive recovery. Just need that patience and small steps forward to brighten anyones outlook.
 
Judy, of course we know that you care for us all, just as we care for you and Paul. So sorry he's had a rocky road, but so glad to hear things are now gradually getting better. His flexion and extension are excellent, so he's doing really well.

Prayers and good wishes are sent your way :flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom