TKR Braunzie's Journey on "The Other Side"?

@cairistiona60 - haha.. Actually, I hate shopping too, except at Costco! :) MUCH of my purchases are on line.. I LOVE Amazon!!! I am one of their most loyal customers! (My husband always shakes his head when he sees an Amazon box at the door.. and I just smile back at him... haha! :heehee: )
 
Happy Friday! Hope your work week has flown by and you have something fun and restful planned for the weekend!
I had my last PT appt yesterday! Hurrraaahhhh! Now I can plan my days around something besides going to PT !
I'll start back to the gym 3x a week and can go there without makeup! Lol! :heehee: Ahhhhh.... When you're retired, it's the little things that make you happy!

Funny story about shopping online.... We shop online so much that one day the UPS truck came roaring up our drive and when my DH went out to retrieve the pkg from the driver he just shook his head and said he had nothing for us - his truck was so accustomed to coming to our house, it just came up on its own. :rotfl:
 
@Braunzie i haven't been in the boards much since starting work but you are doing very well!! Don't worry, one day you'll be walking around the office and suddenly realize that you haven't thought of your knee all day! That is unless the other knee is vying for your attention lol!!
 
@Thesoutherncook - Congrats on the last PT! :happydance: And good for you for going to the gym 3 x per week! :yay:
I'm looking forward to not having to do makeup and hair everyday, so I really appreciate what you're saying there!!! Not really sure if that's a "little thing".. hahahaha! :loll:
Side note for you.. (or any others who want to chime in!) :) .. We may be taking a vacation to North Carolina/ Tennessee / Virginia area next June.. Not sure if you can answer this (because if people asked me where the best place to go in Oregon or Idaho, I certainly wouldn't know enough to answer.. :heehee:) But here goes: If we have never been to the area, what is the best place to spend a week and do day trips to see the "must sees" of the region? Considering history, wildlife, scenery (there are photographers in our group), state-related specialties (like air-boat rides, visiting the Everglades, ( in Florida), French Qtr in New Orleans, the bayous, (in Louisiana), slot canyons and Lake Powel (in Arizona..) ... I know.. tough question, but just thought I would ask, as we need to narrow our target..:yes:

@bdink21 - Good to see you! Funny... I had one of my staff walking toward me in one of the hallways today and she said it was good to see me "gliding".. :rotfl: - From my perspective, I still have a noticeable limp - sometimes more than others! But.. it has been good to hear comments like that.. I think others may see more improvement than I'm feeling.. but .. "gliding"??? NO.. :sigh:
 
Whew! Yes, you do need to narrow your target since each state is very different and quite spread out. We are in the farthest western part of NC and 500 miles from the Outer Banks - from one side of the state to the other!
TN and Va are much the same... Nashville is a great city, but nowhere near the mountains. Virginia, of course, has many historic sites but they are generally not near the mtns either. Give me a little more idea of what you want to see and do. And where are you thinking of staying? Rustic cabin in the mtns? B&B close to a city?? Have you given any thought to Asheville, NC?? My DH is retired from National Park Service and we will help you in any way we can.
 
I think the Outer Banks of North Carolina would be a top destination. The Smoky Mountains in Tennessee are also stunning, and Williamsburg, Virginia, is fun. Sounds like a great and well-deserved trip. I leave for Florida in about 10 days. I can't wait for the downtime.
 
Side note for you.. (or any others who want to chime in!) :) .. We may be taking a vacation to North Carolina/ Tennessee / Virginia area next June.. Not sure if you can answer this (because if people asked me where the best place to go in Oregon or Idaho, I certainly wouldn't know enough to answer.. :heehee:) But here goes: If we have never been to the area, what is the best place to spend a week and do day trips to see the "must sees" of the region? Considering history, wildlife, scenery (there are photographers in our group), state-related specialties (like air-boat rides, visiting the Everglades, ( in Florida), French Qtr in New Orleans, the bayous, (in Louisiana), slot canyons and Lake Powel (in Arizona..) ... I know.. tough question, but just thought I would ask, as we need to narrow our target..:yes:
If you pick Tennessee, Nashville is smack in the middle. You can drive west to the Memphis area and see Elvis' Graceland home, Beale Street, the Big Muddy (Mississippi River), and lots of flat land planted in rice and cotton; you can drive east and see the Smoky Mountains (Dollywood, etc.); you can drive south and see the beautiful Chattanooga area, including Lookout Mountain, the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum, etc.; and drive north to see some Kentucky bluegrass country and Louisville (Churchill Downs, Kentucky Derby Museum, Louisville Slugger Museum and Factory (baseball fans), Muhammad Ali Center, etc.). Nashville also houses the Opryland Resort, Opryland USA, Andrew Jackson's home (The Hermitage), the Parthenon, Belle Meade Plantation, and Ryman Auditorium, a must for any country and western music fan. I'm partial to the Memphis area for personal reasons, but Nashville is a smoking hot city these days and has attractions galore.

That's about all I know about our long and slender state. Hope this helps.[/user]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It most surely is an up and down ride. I like you get swelling no matter what I do
They say it can last 6-12 months

Patience is the key word
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well, hello my friend! So sorry I have been absent for so long. Just caught up with your thread - had to go back to September 20th - eek! So much of what you have been feeling/saying these past few weeks resonates with me. It took me until about week 12-13 to feel like I could "walk without thinking" and this was mainly because I was using an elasticated knee support. It really helped to give me confidence that I wasn't going to fall and that my knee wasn't going to give way. I am trying to use it less and less now as I think it could become something that I rely on if I use it too often. I am still not great going down the stairs. I can do them "normally" but I do have to hang onto the handrail for dear life. I'm sure we'll both continue to improve at this as the weeks go by. You'll also find that you are suddenly walking without much of a limp and faster than a snail. I know I did. I can't say when this happened but it just did. I put a lot of my increased confidence and increased mobility down to the two conferences I did in September - everything has improved vastly since then. I also have the tight band feeling all of the time, sometimes worse than others. I try my best to ignore it and just get on with things. I guess you and I are two knee patients who will have this nuisance for several months to come but as long as it goes eventually I am ok putting up with it for now. My OS told me 6-9 months until all will feel completely back to normal when I saw him on September 22nd. My other knee is hurting too - shall we make a pact to coordinate our schedules and go through this again together at some point in the future??! I also have pain still, not a great deal and it is more soreness and mild discomfort, I certainly don't need any meds these days - how about you? Like you I still have many "blech" moments but they are decreasing and they mainly occur now when I am suffering from - guess what?? - yep, lack of patience - this has been a bit of a theme for us hasn't it? Am I 100% happy I had the surgery? Not yet, but I am definitely getting there and I certainly don't regret it like I did a few weeks ago. Keep up and good work and I will do my very best to keep up-to-date with your thread! Hope work continues to be ok, it does help to distract the mind from the knee, doesn't it? Oh yeah, feel free to put London into your vacation plans, lol ! Take care and hugs.
 
@Raffs i am in your tight band club. I'm almost 14 weeks out. Just out of blue started to feel it again. Not sure why
 
Hi @Raffs ! :) Just got caught up on your thread tonight as well. I'm just 14 weeks out and I am still "thinking" about my knee - mostly when I walk, but sometimes when I'm sitting for a while. It feels stable enough that I don't feel I need a knee support as you have described, but I guess I think about it because I want to walk FASTER. I have places to go, people to see and things to get done!!! :rotfl:.... oh yeh.. that PATIENCE thing again!!!!!! Actually, there are times when I catch myself not limping (though I can still "feel" my knee with the tight band thing happening), and other times when I limp very noticeably.. - getting out of the car after an hour commute.. :nah:Or getting up from sitting in a meeting for an hour or more.. :oyvey: But then I "walk it off" and I'm relatively "OK" until I sit again for a while.. Most of the time it's not enough to get irritated about.. It's just "part of the process".. I look forward to being "normal" again and not standing out .... I'm not one for the extra attention....
I'm making progress on going up stairs like a grown up.. Needing the handrail less and less.. but downstairs is a different story.. Working on that, but I find that my un-operated knee gives me occasional twinges that really inhibits building confidence, as well as a bit of pain in my operated knee trying to go down like a 'normal' person.. (yes, I realize 'normal' is a relative term... :heehee:)
I still have the tight band feeling too, but like you described, it is less and less.. I've not ever NOT felt it, but it is less intense sometimes, so I KNOW I'm on the road to recovery on that note..:happydance: Like you, I just ignore it and try to just do what I need to do..
HEY!! If we can coordinate KNEE #2 at the same time, I'm ALL IN!! But we have to make sure we can accommodate any vacations first.. hahaha! (if we can walk!!):rotfl: And speaking of vacations, while I have been to London (once when I was just a young pup.. age 23), my husband has never been. Who knows?? Once we get past the 2nd knee (together) and have time for recovery.. that may be just in time for us to retire and he and I can take a European vacation to celebrate!!! You would DEFINITELY be on the list! :yes!: That being said, have you ever been to "the states"? You should come and visit the Seattle area.. we have lots of gloomy weather, just like you!!! It would feel like home.. :loll:

@Rob 68 - Thank you SOOOO much for the vacation suggestions!!! While Tennessee is still on the radar, there has been some discussion of moving a bit more Northeast.. (coordinating with 7 adults can be more difficult that coordinating with 7 children.. - just sayin'.... :rotfl:) There is talk now about New York or DC or.. who knows.. I will need to do more interrogating, investigating and researching.. I guess the good news is we're not going until June of next year.. so I have time.. We wanted to see the Smoky Mountains, and my sister was looking at places closer to there.. but your suggestions broaden the possibilities in terms of places to see and things to do.. One thing that is not always easy is finding a house to rent that will accommodate a group our size.. usually a 5 bedroom/ 5 bath house.. My sister actually found some really beautiful accommodations that would work for a group our size, but most of them were 3 story "cabins".. (3500 - 6000 sq ft don't really seem like 'cabins' to me, but..... ) I'm thinking stairs are not really my "friend" at this point.. Maybe that won't be an issue is June?? I keep thinking "it will all work out.. one way or the other".. :yes:
 
Hey! Lay off the British weather....!!!! LOL. You are quite right and today it is very gloomy. I have been to the States. Florida (7 times!), Las Vegas (twice), Anaheim, California and NYC. I would love to see more of the country though. Nashville is definitely on my list, mainly due to the TV series which I love. New England, Washington DC, Boston, New Orleans, Memphis, more of California and, now - Seattle! I'll let you know when to expect us!!!

Our recovery stories are very similar - not the best, not the worst, just what they are. Been a pleasure and privilege to share with you this far and looking forward to the day when we can both say we don't think about our knees at all!
 
Haven't caught up on everyone's threads yet.. which I normally try to do before posting, but I just had to say I'm now officially back in the TGIF club!!! ..... and TGIF!!!!! Completed my 3rd full week back at work.. and doing OK.. I have a story though...

One of our corporate buildings that I visit very occasionally has 6 floors (thinking of you, @Raffs, only we have elevators.. :yes:) .. I was there early in the week and my boss headed to the stairs and I had to say.. "Uh.. I don't want to fall on my face, so I'm taking the elevator." BTW - she's SUPERWOMAN :P , so it was just a bit humbling to have to succumb to my physical weakness in front of her.. :gaah:

At the same time, I thought to myself.. "It would not be good to be here and have either an earthquake or a fire."

Yesterday I was there again for a meeting on the 4th floor... And guess what.. the FIRE ALARMS went off!!! DARN IT.. (not exactly the word I was thinking :yikes:) Didn't have a choice, so I headed for the stairs.. So.. Not only were there people piling into the stairwell from my floor, but also the 2 floors above us.. (No stress... ) I started down .. one step, one step, one step.. DEFINITELY too slow!!! So, fortunately, someone asked if they could help and I gave them my laptop and note pad. Freeing up my hands, I grabbed the handrail with BOTH hands and started down 1-2 step, 1-2 step.. (Kind of like a normal person, but not really :heehee: ) I was so waiting for the pain.. and it didn't come.. :happydance:... so I progressed, slowly, but surely (faster than the 1 step, but still slower than everyone else) down all FOUR floors.. (feeling like I was holding up everyone behind me, but there was really nothing I could do.. ) Some people were coming down on the left and then no one was.. then there were more.. UGH!!!!! I almost felt close to tears at one point, but fortunately was able to just "suck it up and get it done"..:yes!:

So... HORRIBLE experience, but the upside is that I know now I can do it if I have to.. I'm not going to die if the building catches on fire!!! :rotfl: (Maybe not funny, but that idea makes me kinda happy..... :egypdance: )

As it turns out, it was no drill.. Someone had brought in a popcorn machine for community use on the 6th floor and it didn't have the appropriate ventilation.. hahaha!!! :heehee: What was a bit ironic, is the person who did that, got a big 'atta-boy' and his face was posted on all the TV communication screens around the office.. Wonder if he has to pay for the Firemen to come out for no "real" reason.. :loll:

I am so ready for the weekend!!! Will be catching up with everyone and doing more research for my "sibling vacation".. Coordinating something for seven adults is not unlike trying to manage seven small children.. Just sayin'.. :heehee:

As Arnold said, "I'lllllllll be baaaaaaack!" :rotfl:
 
Well, you passed the test. I think might have hid in an office rather than face those stairs. Until the flames started licking at the door!

Washington DC is a fun place to visit. If you decide to go contact your congressman (or woman) and get passes to the White House, the Treasury, and Congress. All the Smithsonian museums are free and public transportation is very good. You will walk a lot though. We went three years ago, and one day we figured we walked 7 miles.
 
I had to walk down the stairs when we had a fire alarm go off a few weeks before my surgery. I had to walk down 5 flights. Luckily people helped carry my stuff and I had cane in one hand, railing in the other. A few years ago I had to walk down 30 flights and I thought I was going to die. I don't know what I'd do if we had a fire alarm now. I guess I would have to wait for a burly fireman to carry me down. Hmmmmmm that might be worth the risk!
 
Ugh! What a good attitude you have concerning this debacle! I'm afraid I'd be ready to throttle the popcorn culprit!
 
@Braunzie - My, you lead such an interesting life. You should join the Trick or Treaters next Saturday dressed as Wonder Woman. And I agree with @Slainte on D.C.; was stationed there for my first Navy duty tour back in the day (when you could still walk up the stairs inside the Washington Monument) and spent another 8 years there (2003-2011) working for the federal government (Dept. of Agriculture and the State Department). As Gertrude Stein might say, "There is a lot of there there." And don't bother reading my thread; haven't posted there for a while. Prefer to visit our July colleagues' threads for conversation. My recovery is in the boring stage, anyway; just walking our Fiona, hitting tennis balls, and riding my bike.
 
Back
Top Bottom