TKR Braunzie's Journey on "The Other Side"?

Wonderful to see how well your return to work is going. I am enjoying the heck out of lolling around with a clear conscience. And am also counting down to retirement. I think my date is September 21, 2019, so you are a smidge ahead of me.

Hope you find those magic clothes from your dream!
 
good report, @Braunzie. look forward to hearing your vacation and retirement plans. love to live vicariously.

the silly imp in me wants to encourage you , the next time a co-worker offers to bring you coffee, to insist that they bring it to you "shaken, not stirred."

You may not get the brew you want, but you'll be spreading smiles among the office's James Bond fans.
 
@Wanttobebiking - High five back!!! Does it seem like 12 weeks to you? In some ways it seems MUCH longer and in others, no where near.. But it IS a milestone! Now we can "officially" be cleared for strengthening exercises.. (Yeh.. like I'm finding time / ambition to do those after a full day of work!!! :chinstroke:) I definitely have to work on that!!!

@cairistiona60 - Yes, I went back full time, right out of the gate, but returned on a Thursday, which gave me a couple days with a weekend before REALLY going full time. The first couple days were really just social.. boss was out on vacation and since I had kept up with my emails during my time out, didn't have that to do.... and no one wanted to schedule meetings with me right away - it was pretty easy. I think I left early both days because of that.. and the fact that I COULD! :heehee: What kind of work do you do? Do you like what you do? Do you enjoy the people? I can't say that I'm terribly "motivated" myself, but it's really not my knee's fault. The reorganization that happened while I was out moved about 2/3 of my team to other areas.. A team I had built over 8 years. Still trying to adapt to that.. and I will.. I've gotten good at "adapting" over the last 31 years at this company.. :yes:

@Slainte
I am enjoying the heck out of lolling around with a clear conscience. And am also counting down to retirement. I think my date is September 21, 2019, so you are a smidge ahead of me.
It is great, isn't it! I can say I enjoyed that part as well. In fact, pulling out of the driveway this morning, I was reminiscing a bit about that.. That date of April 22. 2019 is probably not the day I actually leave.. I think if I stay a bit long.. maybe September.. I will get my last bit of "company contribution" to my 401K.. HEY! Maybe we should plan a mutual retirement party!!!! :rotfl: I'm sure I'll have my second knee done by then and we can go hiking Mt. Everest together.. :loll:(NOT!!!!! ) - but maybe strolling the beaches of Florida.. :yes: uh.. wait.. that's hurricane season, isn't it.. well.. we can work on the plans.. :heehee:

@SarahJane -
the next time a co-worker offers to bring you coffee, to insist that they bring it to you "shaken, not stirred."
.... I think most who would offer would know me well enough that they might actually think I'm having a bad day and think I really wanted something "other" than coffee!! :cheers2: ...but that IS the way I like them!:heehee:

In general, getting back to work has been OK. My knee still does hurt at times, mostly getting out of car - just the way I have to bend it, and then getting up from sitting for a while, sitting too long in one position. And I always have the "tight band feeling" - sometimes more so than others.. I feel like an old lady, as I hobble (sometimes more than others) and walk VERY slowly. Today when I was getting coffee (for myself :)), I was getting in line in our deli and my OTHER knee gave me a sharp shooting pain! UGH!!! Almost threw me off balance. (Sign of things to come, I think.... :umm:)

I remember when I used to walk without thinking about it. Maybe one day I'll be there again. - I was actually thinking that today and it caused me to remember when I thought, "I'll be SO glad when I can take a shower by myself again!", and "I'll be SOO happy when I can walk without crutches!", and "It will be SOOOO nice when I can sleep on my side again!".. (the list goes on) and then I thought.. Hmmmm.. I can do ALL those things, so I'll be able to walk without thinking about it... someday.. :yes!:

Tomorrow is Friday! I have a renewed appreciation for them!:wink: Wishing you all the best in your own journeys! :flwrysmile:
 
I have that tight band feeling, too, mostly around the top of my knee, but external swelling - the kind you can see - has gone way down. I think the band will slowly loosen and will be a thing of the past. We'll get there, young lady, and don't you ever doubt it. :old:
 
@Braunzie I'm a personal injury law clerk. I think in the States you would call me a paralegal. I love some aspects of my work but not all. I like the client interaction and I love writing summaries of the files for pre trials or mediations. I was a criminal law investigator in Scotland and the world of personal injury law is a lot different from that. The work I am doing now is not as stressful but my boss has a problem with leaving things to the last second. He may not suffer from stress but he is certainly a carrier! I work with three other clerks and we all get along well so it is quite a nice place to work but it is small and that has its own problems.

My plan is to stay with this firm until the lawyer retires. He turns 60 next year and when I asked him about his future plans he said he had too many kids on the payroll to think about that. Both his kids are in university. I have often thought that a job working where I don't have to think every minute would be awesome. There is a lot to be said for being a greeter at Wal Mart! Wonder if my knee would cope with that.

You have been at Costco for 31 years? Wow! My criminal law job back home was in the civil service and I would have been there for 35 years this past March. I would probably have retired this year if I had stayed there. The pension was quite good. I don't have a pension where I am now so I'm not sure what I will do. Since this is my second marriage and we had to start all over again with buying a house etc, we joke that we are in the freedom 85 group. My hubby has a good pension so I could let him keep me in the comfort to which I would like to become accustomed!

All I know is that my knees have to keep me going for a while yet and I want to travel.
 
Hi Braunzie, I'm not clear on what I should be doing and not doing, thus my constant dilemma with overdoing or not doing enough (thread title). Seems if I don't do anything, I have swelling and aching, and if I do a lot, I have the same swelling and aching. I mentioned to my husband just other day that at this point, I don't think it really matters what I do or don't do, I am still going to have the same minor swelling and aching. That said, I can't go much over 10,000 total daily steps on my garmin vivofit before I pay the price. But doing nothing for a day except sitting at my desk seems to hurt even worse. I really thought I would be further along than I am at 3 months, so now I am looking forward to 4 months to see how that feels.

Guess that really didn't answer your question. Yes it seems like longer ago than 12 weeks, and yes it seems like forever, but mostly it seems like it wasn't really that much time to give up to have a better knee. So I guess I'm getting to the point where I'm happy I did it. Big for me.
 
Happy Friday, Mary! I am so proud of you for your progress! You've made a smooth transition!
Now, you can really look forward to the weekends again! I'm still on that roller coaster, but its getting shorter with every ride! I look to you as my "role model"! :ok:
 
That said, I can't go much over 10,000 total daily steps on my garmin vivofit before I pay the price. But doing nothing for a day except sitting at my desk seems to hurt even worse
What you may not realize is that sitting can be just as tough on a new knee than a lot of exercise. You are sitting still and not moving your leg much to keep fluids moving (that's why we tell people to get up and walk around for 5 minutes out of every hour). And when you are in this "resting" position, your leg is down. That is tough on a new knee. You might be better off if you could elevate your knee while you're doing whatever it is you do when sitting for these long periods.

All this will be much improved at the 6 or 9 month mark. Sorry, but it really can take this amount of time to get to a more "normal" state.
 
Seems if I don't do anything, I have swelling and aching, and if I do a lot, I have the same swelling and aching.

I'm about a week behind you, and I feel exactly the same way. When I'm working and traveling for work, my knee is sore and swollen. When I'm at home for a few days and don't do as much, it's still swollen and achy. I'm so tired after work that I don't do any exercises, probably should be as my ROM hasn't improved any and at times the aching and stiffness make it feel like I've regressed.

I did say to someone the other day that I think I'm glad I had the replacement ... someday I won't be saying "I think".
 
I'm right there with you gals! My knee swells no matter what I do or do NOT do! Ugh! But, I believe this too shall pass and we WILL be glad we did this!! My "old" knee already feels worse than my "new" one, especially on stairs. That confirms that this was the right move. So, hang on, we are not there yet!
 
I'm so tired after work that I don't do any exercises, probably should be as my ROM hasn't improved any and at times the aching and stiffness make it feel like I've regressed.
I feel the same way. My ROM ranges between 124 and 133, but it seems like I don't hit 133 as often since I graduated from PT. I'm seeing my OS's PA in a couple of weeks, and I am going to talk to him about it. I do stretches but probably not as often as I should. I think my ROM issues might have more due to tight quads, calves, and IT band than swelling. Swelling is really minimal. I see you leapfrogged over Minnesota to root for the Packers. Actually, I like the Packers, too. The Vikes always seem to disappoint.

@Thesoutherncook My other knee is acting up, too, and I wonder if it is because I am walking differently now that my left leg is straight. Arrrgh.

@Braunze, I met all my deadlines, but my knee paid a price being kept captive under my desk. Going to work from my laptop next week. Hope you are recouping from your first full week of work.
 
Feeling a bit down this weekend.. Can't really put my finger on it.. Could be change in weather - from sunny (We had a FABULOUS spring/ summer!) to rainy and dreary.. could be realizing that- yep - I'm back to work.. could be I'm caught up in the "empty nest" thing.. and I'm missing my baby who went off to college.. Could be I'm just DONE with this knee and tired of not doing what I really WANT to do when I WANT to do it.. :tantrum2: Just in general.. I'm kind of BLECH.... (I'm still on the rollercoaster, I'm thinking.. ) That being said, I REALLY am so BLESSED and fortunate in so many things in my life! I'm really trying to focus on those things and get a grip on my frame of mind.. I'm "sure" I'll come around.. sometime... REALLY!!! :yes!:

Weekend was pretty normal.. Trying to catch up on housework; paid bills, cleaned out a closet (with the help of my darling husband), doing laundry, swept the laundry room, did the dishes- a few times, swept the kitchen, working on bathrooms.. (so much left to do!!!) Did shopping, including TWO trips to Costco (one for us, one for the parish's Octoberfest). Really exciting stuff!!! hahaha! :heehee:

Knee has been hurting more (Thought I was passed this part!) @Wanttobebiking, @Thesoutherncook, and @SDkate. I'm with you all! Knee seems to hurt regardless of what I do, so, I've decided to just get on with life. That being said, haven't spent a bunch of time icing and/or elevating lately.. pretty much not at all, except for a bit today. Hard to find time to sit in a chair.. I have THINGS to do!!!! :nah:

@cairistiona60 - Yes, I started out with Price Club in San Diego (when I was in kindergarten...:rotfl:) , and when they merged with Costco, they relocated me to Washington. I've thought about staying on as "greeter" at Costco to maintain benefits after I technically retire, but we'll have to see how it goes. (PS.. Costco is better than Walmart.. "just sayin'".. hahaha! :heehee: Had to say that! Hope I didn't just offend someone.. :loll:) - I think I've been in a Walmart about 3 times in my life.. so I'm not sure about them, but we have folks in wheelchairs as greeters at Costco, so you really don't need good knees.... :yes:) My advice to you is to let your husband "keep" you.. :heehee: - but only if he really likes his job.. :) Travel is definitely on our list!!! Hoping my knees will carry me through. :fingersx:

@Wanttobebiking
I can't go much over 10,000 total daily steps on my garmin vivofit before I pay the price.
WOW!! Every day? I'm lucky if I make it to 5000.. What are you doing and how are you able to find the time? Would love to know your secret!!! :wink:

I thought I would be further along by now as well. Oh yeh.. I think it's that "PATIENCE" thing again. I need to find a Patience ATM...... :rofsign:

Glad you met all your deadlines! That is awesome! Somehow I knew you would do that! Nice job!!! :yes!:

I'm not "happy" I had the knee replacement yet, but I know I really didn't have a choice. Still waiting for the 'HAPPY" part.. :)

@Thesoutherncook - Thanks so much for your positive reinforcement! I guess the transition has been pretty smooth, as transitions go. I'm realizing how much I really enjoyed NOT going to work - for a number of different reasons.. I know I have to get passed that. And yes, I'm really going to be enjoying my weekends.. or really TRYING TO! Clearly, the rollercoaster is not over yet.. (bummer)

I have trouble with stairs, partly because of my "old" knee as well. Eventually we will get there!!! :yes:

I was talking with my husband, and told him I thought the 3.5 years was a LONG time before I could retire. He told me it would go really quickly. He reminded me when I started counting down retirement when I had 500 weeks left.. hahaha! Yes.. I did.. :rotfl: I had been marking off the weeks.. and then for whatever reason stopped.. He asked me, "How many weeks do you have left now?".... Ok.. I'm at "only" 182.... That's a bit better than 500.. I have to admit it! Still.. it seems like a long time.. chip, chip, chip..

@SDkate - I haven't been doing any exercises either. (Unless you count really focusing on doing stairs the "right" way.) I'm feeling a bit guilty about it too. (sigh).. As I said, my knee has been hurting more than I expected, especially when I wake up in the AM. I haven't really "done" anything to deserve entry into the IODIC club...... Really need to find that ATM for the Patience Bank! :wink:
 
I felt the same way going back to work. I did look forward to being useful, but getting up early (5:30) and being tired in the evening has me thinking of retirement in a few years. Grass is always greener I guess...
 
It's that darn rollercoaster! :treadmill: Kinda' like a treadmill....you walk and walk and don't seem to get anywhere then you realize you actually have gotten stronger, can walk farther, have more stamina.. Etc. etc.! Too bad we don't all live close enough to get together occasionally! But, aren't we lucky to have each other AND
Bonesmart?!!! What DO people do who don't know about this wonderful support community? I, for one, would be miserable! Especially since we live in isolation! Although, I looked around at church today and there were 4 of us sitting one behind the other who had ALL had TKR! It helps to live amongst other retired folks! :wink:

That being said, you WILL get to that magical retirement date and it WILL be sooner rather than later! Just think, your knee(s) will be ready for travel and you can enjoy it! We have travled extensively over the past 8 years ( my DH retired, I just quit work and moved to the mtn with him! ) but on most of the trips I was in terrible pain! I have sat in beautiful places in the world with ice on my knee! I look forward in 2016 to traveling with NO pain! Even if that means I have to get TKR #2 first!

So, my new friend, tie a knot in the end of that rope and hang on! You're doing GREAT! And you WILL continue to improve every week! :dancy: ( I always wanted to be a cheerleader! ) AND you have many friends on here who support you!
Big 'ole Southern mama hug!
 
Hi again. I rarely make it to 10,000 steps. I think I have done that twice since surgery. Both times it seemed like too much, so I try to stay under 10,000 steps. Biking is great exercise and the steps don't add up as much as when walking because I can coast a lot. My goal is 6,500 steps a day, but I am getting an average of 7,000 a day, and that seems to work for me. Finding the time, well, hey, that is the good part about being a freelancer. I try to walk or go to the gym three times a day. I can go anytime. If I feel the need to walk, I just leave my desk and go. But my closets are still a mess. My husband and I talk about cleaning them out, but that's as far as we get. And remember that golfing husband of mine? His course is only a couple of miles from Costco, so I hardly ever have to go to Costco (although I like to sometimes). He makes the runs. He's also a pretty good cook, and while I'm still working and he's not, he's graciously picked up a lot of that type of stuff, which frees me up to get those steps in, and leaves our weekends free for biking. Not sure what I'll do when the snow flies. But like SDKate said, we do have plenty of indoor malls in Minneapolis but that won't be quite so convenient. My gym also has a walking track, but talk about boring--it's pretty short.

It sounds like you have a lot going on. Empty nester! First week of getting back to work full time! I'm not surprised you feel a bit down. I remember my first week of full-time desk work. Not happy that my life seemed all knee and work and no play. That's why I scheduled a real vacation for November. It has been a long three months.

Also, I am not always happy about having the TKR yet, but somedays I am, which is huge for me. Everyday for the first 2.5 months I would ask my husband if he thought I made the right decision. And everyday day he would say, yes. I think had I not had his reassurance, I would have been very depressed. Hang in there. You'll get used to the work thing and I assume your fledging will be home soon for the holidays.
 
Hope you are feeling better today. Like wanttobebiking said, the holidays will be extra special with your daughter coming home. Take it easy at work. After the first couple of weeks it got easier for me, but I was really tired at first. Hugs!
 
@Braunzie I would love it if my husband kept me, but we have to start by getting my number two step son off the payroll. Maybe then we could afford to think about retiring. All my friends back home who have been in the same jobs for years are retiring but I'm still glad I came over here.

Costco sounds like a wonderful employer. I rarely go because I find big stores like that overwhelming. I would love to buy 500 rolls of toilet paper, but have no room to store it. I don't like WalMart either, in fact I hate shopping, which is why I buy most of my stuff on line nowadays. When we do go shopping my husband loves it because I go out with a plan, get what I want and go home.

Hope your work week is going well!
 
Back
Top Bottom