Braunzie
graduate
- Joined
- May 13, 2015
- Messages
- 575
- Age
- 65
- Location
- Woodinville, WA
- Gender
- Female
- Country
United States
I said it before, but I'll say it again.. I really miss my BS friends..
@SarahJane - Haven't done enough detailed research, but I'll be sure to check into the Crazy Horse Sculpture in SD.. there is definitely time..
@cairistiona60 - what kind of work do you do? I'm fortunate that usually I have a good balance between sitting and walking around.. (usually sitting too much though, if I had my choice.. ) @Slainte - How you're doing what you're doing with a TKR on 10/1, I have no idea.. You are the new SUPER WOMAN! I applaud you!!!.. @cpd599 - Glad your weather is holding out.. ours has turned mostly to grey and rain.. 'Tis the season in "the Great Northwest".. Enjoy your sun!!!!
@Thesoutherncook and @wings - thanks for checking in..
All.. going to try to catch up on everyone's thread.. But first.. just a brief update.. (Hopefully this will be helpful to those who are following after me - There is hope, but not nirvana.. YET
.... )
I'm at week SEVENTEEN! (Boy, time flies when you're HAVING FUN, doesn't it??? )
That is just about 4 months out. Definitely thought I would be more consistently "pain free" than I am right now. Mostly, but routinely, feel pain getting up after sitting for a while.. I need to "hobble out of it" for about 20 steps or so.. After that, I can walk "normally" (aka, without a limp), but my gate is still slower than it used to be.. Trying to get back to the rate of walking again where I would hire myself if I were to interview myself.. (if you don't get that, read my thread, or.. you can ask me and I'll tell you..
) I pretty much stopped taking all pain meds, except on very rare occasion, weeks ago.. doesn't seem to do much good to take Ibuprofen or Naproxen. (Haven't taken the "real" pain meds for a long time. -But I still know they are there if I need them.)
When I wake up at night, sometimes I feel my knee aching, so I stretch it out. But I can sleep on my sides and ON MY STOMACH ...... I can get GLORIOUS sleep now!!!! (and I have for a few weeks now, for which I am SOOOO grateful!!!)
Getting out of bed in the am is better .. more confident from the onset than I was for some time, but still not "not conscience" of my knee from the outset in the AM.. (SOOOOO can't wait for that to happen.. will it EVER???)
Really need to find more time to WALK longer distances at a time. Between work on weekdays and "chores" on weekends, I need to find time to test my stamina.. I'm "working" on that.. always too many "must dos".. Yes. .. I hear you. That needs to be a "must do"..
Started working longer times on the stationery bike and found my "other" knee didn't like it..
... Really??? Hopefully that won't be the case with just walking longer distances..
Went to visit friends at their cabin this weekend (and had a blast!
) and it was really the first time "walking up hill" since my surgery and I would give my knee KUDOS! Very happy with that.. pain free, relatively easy, though it wasn't for really any distance at all.. Going downhill.. MUCH BETTER!!! Last time I was there was before surgery and I was in so much pain going down, I had to "baby step" side steps, holding on to my husband for dear life... it was pretty scary (and sad)... This time... still held my husband's hand, but walked straight down hill with NO PAIN.
(PS.. I hold my husband's hand even when I don't have too..
)
All in all.. I have never regretted getting my new knee.. REAL "recovery" is longer than I expected.. but I have come to realize (as with anything) it all depends on how "expectations" are set to begin with. I will know MUCH MORE what to "expect" with my next knee.. cuz I know that's coming.. at some point..
Oh.. and still down 22 pounds since before surgery.. TRYING to keep it off and go for more, but definitely getting harder..
All my best to my BS friends.. (that wasn't very "brief", was it??? ... sorry!!!
)
@SarahJane - Haven't done enough detailed research, but I'll be sure to check into the Crazy Horse Sculpture in SD.. there is definitely time..
@Thesoutherncook and @wings - thanks for checking in..

All.. going to try to catch up on everyone's thread.. But first.. just a brief update.. (Hopefully this will be helpful to those who are following after me - There is hope, but not nirvana.. YET
.... )I'm at week SEVENTEEN! (Boy, time flies when you're HAVING FUN, doesn't it??? )
That is just about 4 months out. Definitely thought I would be more consistently "pain free" than I am right now. Mostly, but routinely, feel pain getting up after sitting for a while.. I need to "hobble out of it" for about 20 steps or so.. After that, I can walk "normally" (aka, without a limp), but my gate is still slower than it used to be.. Trying to get back to the rate of walking again where I would hire myself if I were to interview myself.. (if you don't get that, read my thread, or.. you can ask me and I'll tell you..
) I pretty much stopped taking all pain meds, except on very rare occasion, weeks ago.. doesn't seem to do much good to take Ibuprofen or Naproxen. (Haven't taken the "real" pain meds for a long time. -But I still know they are there if I need them.) When I wake up at night, sometimes I feel my knee aching, so I stretch it out. But I can sleep on my sides and ON MY STOMACH ...... I can get GLORIOUS sleep now!!!! (and I have for a few weeks now, for which I am SOOOO grateful!!!)
Getting out of bed in the am is better .. more confident from the onset than I was for some time, but still not "not conscience" of my knee from the outset in the AM.. (SOOOOO can't wait for that to happen.. will it EVER???) Really need to find more time to WALK longer distances at a time. Between work on weekdays and "chores" on weekends, I need to find time to test my stamina.. I'm "working" on that.. always too many "must dos".. Yes. .. I hear you. That needs to be a "must do"..
Started working longer times on the stationery bike and found my "other" knee didn't like it..
... Really??? Hopefully that won't be the case with just walking longer distances..
Went to visit friends at their cabin this weekend (and had a blast!
) and it was really the first time "walking up hill" since my surgery and I would give my knee KUDOS! Very happy with that.. pain free, relatively easy, though it wasn't for really any distance at all.. Going downhill.. MUCH BETTER!!! Last time I was there was before surgery and I was in so much pain going down, I had to "baby step" side steps, holding on to my husband for dear life... it was pretty scary (and sad)... This time... still held my husband's hand, but walked straight down hill with NO PAIN.
(PS.. I hold my husband's hand even when I don't have too..
)All in all.. I have never regretted getting my new knee.. REAL "recovery" is longer than I expected.. but I have come to realize (as with anything) it all depends on how "expectations" are set to begin with. I will know MUCH MORE what to "expect" with my next knee.. cuz I know that's coming.. at some point..
Oh.. and still down 22 pounds since before surgery.. TRYING to keep it off and go for more, but definitely getting harder..

All my best to my BS friends.. (that wasn't very "brief", was it??? ... sorry!!!
)

) , but at least I know what I'm doing and I'm trying to do more each day.. By the time I get home, I still need to do more "work", and be wife and mother.. ... I love it when I break 5000! That's usually on the weekends when I do housework and go to Costco.. 
