Guest viewing is limited

TKR Braunzie's Journey on "The Other Side"?

Great report of your first day back. I feel like such a wimp. My graduated return is more graduated than I had hoped. I keep calling in sick. I go in today and that will make only three days this week. My brain is not coping well with getting back into the routine. Your dream was really funny, you must have been sooooooo bummed to wake up and not be ready to go.
 
Hey Braunzie, great report for your first day back to work. To answer you questions, I am a freelance writer/editor and I have been working since the second week post-op. If I don't work, I don't get paid. The second week post-op, I worked 5 hours from bed on my laptop and on oxycodone. The client I worked for that week, didn't mention that my work was sloppy, so hopefully I did okay. (And she is still a client.) The following five weeks or so, I also worked from bed on my laptop, gradually increasing the hours each week. While work was actually a nice diversion from focusing on my knee, I have to say I would not do it again. Working from bed is not very ergonomic. I'd wait at least three weeks to do any work, and then ratchet it up slowly from there each week. It is the blessing and curse of being a freelancer and working from home. My clients know that I'm just lying around, and thus think why can't I spend a few hours on their project? Some clients were more patient than others, waiting for me to get back to work full-time. I also kept reminding them in emails that I was still suffering. However, I think that got old to them after about a month to six weeks. Plus I didn't want to do too much whining in a professional setting. At about six weeks, I ventured back into my office and to my desktop computer for an hour or so at a time.

But now life seems to be crashing in all around me. I have several hard deadlines next week and find myself in my office for most of the day sitting at my desk, which my knee likes only for awhile. I do, however, still make my knee my priority, but even my retired husband has moved on. He used to walk with me three times a day, but now I do most of my therapy walks alone. I guess we can only get so much attention for so long.

Nice of your work crew to give you flowers. I love Costco and its products. And I am glad you only have to work two days this week. It is hard to get back to work full-time. Loved your dream.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Wanttobebiking - Hang in there through next week! I know what you mean about sitting at a desk for a while. I started catching up on my photo editing at about 8 weeks (can't do that on my laptop), and starting out just an hour or so at a time.. Last week, though, I has some marathon days - trying to get it done before going back to work. The knee does NOT like that! Even getting up everyone once in a while to stretch.. (I just feel so fortunate that I got as much time off work to recover as I did. Costco is very good to its employees.)

One day we'll be able to do it and not even think about the knee!!! :fingersx:

I think you need to go take your retired husband by the hand, give him a kiss and tell him you want to keep up with the quality time taking walks. Maybe he just needs a bit of reinforcement that you enjoyed it as much as needed it? :yes: Good luck!!
 
Hi again, I am now working from bed on my laptop. Long day. Just wanted to clarify that the reason my husband is not walking three times a day with me anymore is that he's making the best possible use he can of his golf clubs before the snow flies here in the great white north. And truth told, I'm glad he is because he really gave me his all during the first six weeks, cleaning, cooking, setting the alarm in the middle of the night to give me meds. I proved early on that I could not be trusted with the meds. Once I was on them, I had no idea whether I had taken them or when I needed to take them again.

Speaking of walks, I am concerned about the snow season. While I curl and cross-country ski, it won't be as easy to walk through the snow and ice, and I do need my walks to keep my knee loose. Think I'll take one now.
 
Good to hear your return to work went so well. Normal life will be resuming soon.
 
There's a YouTube video for walking in place at home (or anywhere else for that matter). I don't have the link handy, but it's not bad.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
@Wanttobebiking
There's a YouTube video for walking in place at home (or anywhere else for that matter). I don't have the link handy, but it's not bad.
I have also found there are DVDs that guide through walking in place at home when you can't get out. (I have one, but couldn't find it to let you know the title of it.... :nah: ) Like Polarbear60 says, they are not bad. If you can't get out to walk, it might be an alternative to consider.. :eyebrows: ..... :)
 
@Wanttobebiking you have some wonderful shopping malls in the Minneapolis – St. Paul area. I know it's a pain to have to drive somewhere to take a walk, but the malls where I live have walking groups in the morning before most of the stores open.
 
I'm glad I had the use of FMLA. Could have used 12 weeks, but went back in 10. All of my focus is on spring break in march. I have a condo rented on the beach in Siesta Key. Can't wait to walk the beach and ride a bicycle all over the place ! We'll be 8 months out then, better be able to do it.
 
I think we all need a vacation, and I'm taking one Nov. 1-14. I too am going to spend time on the beach in Florida, walking, swimming, and biking. I will be 3.5 months by then and it will be one of the most well-deserved vacations I have ever had. :swim: :surfer: :realing: :walking::capn: :biking:

Braunzie, hope this week goes well for you. The first full week could be tough. Listen to @Thesoutherncook.
 
@Braunzie, miss you :sad:, but it's great you continue to mark off those days to retirement :yes:. When you get a chance, please give us an update!


@Wanttobebiking :thumb::thumb: On your vacation plans! Maybe, just maybe I'll make it to the beach in 2-3 weeks. When I get there, my fat tire bike will be waiting. Too soon I know, but it will make me smile just to see it.

@Thesoutherncook, your post made me laugh:rotfl: . Your little guy is running fast, I hope Braunzie doesn't get into a race with him.

It doesn't take much to give me the giggles these days. I think I'm bored.

:sneaker:
 
Hey there!!! :wave:

Yes, I'm surviving work! Knee is still quite stiff and I hobble when I get up from my chair, but my brain is getting back in the groove.. kind of like I never left! (Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing!) Met with my boss for the first time this AM (we have a really good relationship) and got a bit more "direction" (LOOSE use of the word!!) about how to approach the significant reorganization that took place while I was gone where 2/3 of my team doesn't report to me anymore.. :sad: Most people might be happy with that, cuz it was a lot of work.. but it was MY organization that I've grown over the last 8 years.. they were MY partners and MY team. (sulking a bit about that, as we had made HUGE strides even in just the last two years.. ) But .. I'll get over it. After all, I am a SEASONED professional!!!! :heehee:

And yes, @wings - still counting the days.. April 22, 2019.... :loll: Sorry you are bored.. I completely understand!! You are doing so well.. the days of boredom will not last as long for you as they have for some others! (silver lining??) :wink:

@Wanttobebiking - Your Florida trip sounds great! And yes, we ALL need a vacation! I checked today and I still have 20 days left to use before March 26!! .. :yes: (more days I'm counting, apparently!- One thing about being on medical leave for 3 months, you don't USE vacation days, so you have more left to use than you might otherwise at any time of the year! ) On the OTHER hand, when on medical leave, we don't accrue vacation time for next year.. THAT'S a bummer! - I already checked to see how many I lost - about 4 days from next year.. What does THAT tell you about me? :beer:
Wouldn't it be fun to have a Bonesmart Vacation Meetup?? That would be an absolute HOOT! :giggle:

@Thesoutherncook - Believe me, I'm not "racing" with anyone. That's one thing that is frustrating at work, is I can't walk as fast as I used to. And I often have people offering to get me things (like coffee) when they know where I'm headed. That is SO sweet of them, but I'm pretty darn independent and I also don't want to put other people out. I have to balance that with knowing that it probably makes them feel good to help.. so I often let them.. (and then have to drink the coffee as they make it!! :rotfl:)

Two days down this week.. three to go. Knee is doing "OK". Haven't had to ice yet - either at work or when I get home.. (surprising) . Still have the tight band feeling, still have some pain where I can't "forget" my knee. When I wake up in the AM is when the knee hurts most consistently. Need to stretch and bend to get it ready for the day. Starting to be able to go up stairs pretty normally, still relying on the banister a bit, but less than even a few days ago. Still can't go down "normally", but that will come. I'm counting on work helping the days go faster so the recovery "seems" faster.. We'll see..

Hoping all my Bonesmart friends are doing well themselves!!! :flwrysmile:

Now.. how am I going to spend those TWENTY days????? :happydance:
 
Did you back to full time straight away? I'm on a graduated return and next week I'm supposed to do three days at 8 hours per day. I'm dreading it. I just can't get up in the morning. I'm still taking Percocet at night and it makes me very groggy first thing. I was at work today and although I was there in body, I was not there in spirit. I am supposed to log 5 to 6 hours of billable time per day and I can't see my brain being able to cope with that. My boss is okay about it but I'm a kind of all or nothing gal, with a tendency to the latter these days.

You are doing really well and your surgery was 9 days before mine. Maybe in 9 days I'll find my motivation. If anyone sees it before then could you send it over?
 
Florida is a great idea, I am actually from Daytona Beach, FL. Best beaches are south of there in holly hill and Ormand, much less crowded and no cars on the beach like in Daytona. Sand is very nice to walk on and easy in the knees.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Back
Top Bottom