Revision TKR Beginning my recovery.

Sending positive thoughts your way for an uneventful surgery, see you here tomorrow.
 
Best wishes for a success surgery tomorrow. Even though it's a spacer exchange you'll need to ice and elevate this time too. Break out your ice machine!
 
Wish I had an ice machine. I get to ice with an ice pack thing. But it works. And I've bought the extra pillows for elevating.

This npo after midnight is crazy for an afternoon surgery I'm starving and thirsty. Ugh


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
As far as I know surgery went fine. I keep falling asleep off and in. The pain is about a 3-4. They have me on a cpm machine right now. I will let you know more in the morning. I can barely hold my eyes open.


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
This is the part that I don't miss. Even with just the spacer replacer I am waking up every hour or so. They are giving me hydromorphone thru the pain pump and that is all that I am receiving. My pain is around a 4. At about 5am they will starry me on norco and do away with the pain pump. I have be en able to sleep on my sides. I have had a hard time holding food do. They have me ver something or other and also so attivan with the attivan I was able to hold down the jello.


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
I'm walking great I don't think I will need my walker. When I get home I'll try it out with the cane. The pt here said I'm out walk I got my walker. It feels nice to have stability in my knee


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Good news about walking well! Saying healing and comfort prayers for you.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
Glad to read that you got through the surgery OK!

This npo after midnight is crazy for an afternoon surgery I'm starving and thirsty. Ugh
I always hated that aspect, and I always hoped to get in on the first surgery of the day...
the pt here said I'm out walk I got my walker.
Many of us want to ditch the walking aids ASAP. It is better to use them a day or two too long than to toss them aside too early. When yo go out, the walker does not only add stability, but it sends a message to those around you to stay clear to give you room.
 
Getting discharged within next few minutes. They are sending me home with Percocet for the first week and also the norco. I will start with out patient therapy instead of doing home care. Have a great day everyone.


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Yes I'm much happier about that. The in home was not benificial to me.


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
So I'm at home now. Sitting in bed icing and elevating. Got a little bit behind on pain due to the norco wearing off. But it is getting better since I took the percocete. I can get around much better this time compared to last surgery. The home care nurse will come out tomorrow to take off the bandage that was over the drain tube.


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
I'm glad you're home safely.

Just as a reminder, here is the recovery reading list again:
First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist (PT) - to do it to you. exercise only gently
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lie down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs

Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Activity progression for TKRs
Heel slides and how to do them

Extension: how to estimate it and ways to improve it

Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

When you get a little stronger, please will you revise Signature, to include your knee revision and its date in full?
Hover over your username, top right of the page, and select Signature from the drop-down box. Enter your surgery details and then save. This article also explains how to do it:
How to create a signature
If you can’t do it, please let us know, so that we can do it for you. Thank you. :flwrysmile:
 
Celle I tried but it won't let me thru the app.


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
I figured it out using safari. Thank you again for the reading list.


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom