Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Beckaroo's recovery thread

You know, beckaroo. You and I and all the others in this BoneSmart and beyond, we all know and share the same rough patch. The swelling and the stiffness.for me went on and on and on and on and on but has diminished VERY VERY VERY GRADUALLY. Boy have I learned patience. Mind you, tempered by the fact that while I can always complain,I’m so lucky to have this gift of new knees. And 6 to 12 months isn’t looking like such a long time to pay off.
At this stage officially 10 months, I’m enjoying a new plateau and have been blabbing about it , I think for the last couple weeks. Stiffness and swelling is down to maybe 5% of what it was
I still get some stiffness and a little soreness by days end. But so so much better.
Going to Disneyland with grandkids in a couple weeks. Dreading the crowds but actually looking forward to the chance to do a lot of walking! How’s that for a twist?
 
My official position on my healing has been this. ;
One step forward, 3/4 of a step backwards. But if you think about it, that means I’m still making some progress. I so so understand your story about having to stop what you’re doing because of the darn swelling. Think I could laugh and cry for a long while thinking about swelling. Who knew swollen knee tissue would be my steady companion for so many months!!!
It goes away just like all those before us have said in these forums. Elevate!!!!!!
 
@rickj enjoy Disneyland! Keep us posted on this life adventure. I know I for one seriously enjoy living vicariously through you all who are farther along than I!!! I can’t wait!! Keep the good news coming!
:hiking:
 
You’ll enjoy all those things in good time: trips with the grandkids, long cooking extravaganzas, shopping sprees for hours, and any sports events you wish to watch or participate in. Some members have resumed playing soccer or running/walking long distances. I just got back from a trip where I spent not one minute icing or elevating, and I’m planning to do a local run/walk in a few months. I’m five months ahead of you. So at two months, you are already doing wonderfully!

Kneeling is okay for me. I do it often. It’s not my favorite position. I don’t walk on my knees, for example. I’m careful with them and use either my bed (the usual) or a pad (occasionally, like outside) and so far haven’t had any problems with kneeling at all. I did ask my surgeon first if my implants were okay for this.

Swelling... yeah, I still have a little of that. More if I’ve spent all day on my feet, no elevating/icing. This last trip, my jeans got a tad tight in the knees one night after a long day touring downtown Chagrin Falls, OH, an impressively wonderful little town with a great ice cream shoppe! :snowman: Holiday shopping with the kids! But that kind of thing (swelling and soreness after long days) is going to happen for a while. The thing is my knees are so much better than pre-surgery I don’t mind a little end-of-the-day swelling. But at two months I could never have done a day like that! You days of “hey, my knees are great for the whole day and I’ll put up with this end of the day soreness” are coming. :happydance:
 
9 weeks out from BTKR next Tuesday! It’s hard to believe I’ll be 9 weeks out. This adventure has been really good, and really bad. If that makes sense. I no longer have bone on bone pain and aches that take your breath away. But I do have surgery pain, swelling and aches around the knee. Some days extreme, some days not so much. The worse pain I experience now is the pain in my butt!! Literally!! I’ve done the IT Band and the Siaticia exercises to no avail. I kept researching and have figured out its my Gluteus Maximus! So, today I got on the floor and rolled on a tennis ball until I cried! :dead:
It hurt sooooo GOOOOD! Twice today I’ve done so, and I can now walk pain free! Oh Lord, I pray it’s worked and I’m on the way to better healing.

I have to admit, the boredom is at times overwhelming. And sitting too long also causes me to swell, even with my legs up in the recliner. So, I sit. I walk. I lay down. I go crazy. Before surgery, I’d hear of people going back to work in just a few weeks and I’d think, this will be a walk in the park. It’s certainly not! I’m a pretty upbeat person, my faith in God is strong. Yet there’s times I’ve struggled with feeling the blues. Way before surgery my hubby and I had become de-caffeinated, low carb, and sugar free. Well, let me tell you, since surgery I cleaned out the leftover Holloween candy, got a few Starbucks (with whipped cream) at PT, and put a big dent in leftover rolls from Thanksgiving! I’m an emotional eater, and this surgery has taken its toll on my emotions for sure! How I’ve not gained weight is a miracle. But!!! I’m back on track... life does get better after tkr!! It really does! Thank goodness for Christmas movies to watch! :heehee:

And another thing.... I still can’t sleep with my husband. I’m back to the guest room after our family went home after Thanksgiving. He says I keep him awake! He says I twist and turn, I’m up and down adjusting pillows and blankets. I guess it’s true. Nine weeks out I’m still not able to fully sleep comfortably. I still wake up during the night. My pillows are all over and some nights I feel like a mess. Some nights I can’t stand the covers on me or the feel of pajamas on my legs and end up with them off. I’m pretty sure all of this still puts me in the normal healing process. This too shall pass...

But I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! And I promise it’s not an oncoming train!! It’s being able to walk pain free, it’s being able to ride behind my hubs on his motorcycle, go for walks and play with the grandkids, sit at my sewing machine and sew, bake for our church and friends! Life looks good at the end of this adventure! I’m encouraged every day!
 
Last edited:
I am cleared for a BTKR in January but thinking about just getting RTKR. Everything sounds so scary and I don't know what to do - both or staged? My doctor does NOT want me to have PT until after I see him after surgery 2 weeks after. He feels the Pt will stress me even more and after reading some of these post I must agree.
 
I am cleared for a BTKR in January but thinking about just getting RTKR. Everything sounds so scary and I don't know what to do - both or staged? My doctor does NOT want me to have PT until after I see him after surgery 2 weeks after. He feels the Pt will stress me even more and after reading some of these post I must agree.

@SADD I love this!!! Where do you live!? Your doctor needs to call my doctor!!!
 
I am cleared for a BTKR in January but thinking about just getting RTKR. Everything sounds so scary and I don't know what to do - both or staged? My doctor does NOT want me to have PT until after I see him after surgery 2 weeks after. He feels the Pt will stress me even more and after reading some of these post I must agree.

Hi Sadd! :wave: Don’t be scared. No matter what you decide I’m sure it will be perfect for you. Either way I’m sure you’ll end up just like the rest of us, and do just fine.
Weather to have one knee done or both at the same time is a decision only you can make. At first I was told some folks go back to work after a few weeks, then I found BoneSmart! The recovery for every one is different, but overall recovery from TKR takes a long time to be 100% healed. From what I’ve read here it can take some up to a whole year to be 100%!!
So, I knew right away having both knees done at once was for me. I felt confident with my doctor, knew our insurance covered my surgery 100%, had past surgeries and recovered quickly and didn’t want staged recovery times. I wanted one surgery and be done! Haven’t regretted a thing! But.... it’s only you who can decide. I’m retired so hurrying back to work is not a concern for me. Had it been, I may have considered one knee this year, and one knee next year.
These were the factors I considered making my decision.
That you doctor says no PT the first two weeks is awesome!
I have one knee, right one that’s not up to par with the left knee in ROM. Even though my surgery was bilaterally done. It can’t be my fault , I did the PT the same on both legs, right?! So, I have confidence that as I heal and the swelling goes, I’ll gain that ROM and I’m just not too worried about it! :)
But you have to come to peace with yourself... for me it’s prayer, maybe it’s something different for you. Hopefully, some other Bonesmarties will pipe in and give you some good advice and guidance. You’re in good hands around here. These people ROCK!:thumb:
 
Well, I’m officially 9 weeks post BTKR. This is the 1st day I’ve not had to take any pain medicine!!! Woot!!! I’m not painful, but definitely weak. I have to force myself to get going. I have zero strength! Where’d it go? Seriously, I’m shocked at how much of my energy is gone. Even with bone on bone, I could do so much more. Now, I do stop at the slightest swelling, but even still... I really can do so little. I feel so weak and unmotivated. Not like me. Maybe it’s still the drugs in my system? :shrug: My hubs asked if I am depressed... I’m not at all. So I make myself get up and do something! I feel like it’s time to build some strength or motivation in me. But!!! I also consider the fact IM STILL HEALING! Ice and elevate, I still do!! I guess it’s constantly finding a balance between healing and healed!
Even though my husband has gone back to work now, he helps me so much still. He brought all the Christmas tubs in and decorated the house. I sat in an office chair, rolled around and decorated the bottom half of the tree, he did the top. I couldn’t have done it all without him. It’s just the two of us now, but we always put up a tree. For those of you all alone, it must be so hard. I’d come decorate if only I could! I’d decided to do nothing this year being as how hard it would be... but Rob (husband) said, no way! I’m sooo glad he did! It really boosted my spirits....:chinstroke:maybe I was a tad depressed?
So, my advice... do what you’re able through the holidays, if you celebrate them. Don’t let things get you down... we are all so blessed to have been given a new lease of life!! God bless you all! :tree lights:
 
So much of your energy is going towards healing your knee that there isn’t much left over for much else.

Enjoy those decorations!
:gbh: :snows: :tree lights:
 
Each day continues to improve! I am now at a place where some days I can do quite a lot, but then need more rest, icing and elevating the next day. Even on the days I seem so able to do more, I never go beyond the point of excessive swelling... I’ve seem to figure out when my knees say back off sister, and I stop!! I’m still dragging my cane around :bored: mostly because my husband thinks I need it. It is somewhat reassuring on occasion, but gets less and less useful...

Yesterday I was able to get out and drive, visiting a few friends was such a pick-me-up!! Wow! I’ve really missed my friends! This recovery period is so long that folks get back to their own life’s sooner than you’d like them too! I mean seriously, friends all came earlier on after surgery, and I still get texts, and phone calls, but pretty soon they stop dropping in. I do believe that’s when boredom and depression can set in. Given a chance to be around if one of my friends has this surgery...I’ll be around for the long haul! Thank goodness we have each other on BoneSmart! :loveshwr:
 
You’re having such a great recovery! I’m so happy for you. It’s heartwarming to read reports like yours. :roseshwr:

People do fall away. Life moves on and they have lots happening in their lives. Now you can catch up with them and get back into the stream along with your friends.

Your knees are rewarding you for never letting them get too unhappy. That cane will end up in your car, probably. Mine lives there, handy in case I should need it some day while out. You will realize one day the cane is sitting in some corner, and you will put it in the car. Let your husband know so he can feel better knowing it’s at hand. :)
 
Hey susieshoes,
Look at This beckaroo helping out the new kid ‘sadd’!
I’m just pointing out how looking at this forum it’s so cool seeing the progression of nervous pre-tkr s to “graduates “. Each helping the next. Merry Christmas,all. I’m continuing my message as a 10 month old——(yes,sorry , I wasn’t done at 3 months)
I’m finally enjoying my knees (a lot). I can walk a lot 5 miles at least, can’t recall what bone on bone pain felt like and I probably have about 20% more healing to go. Yes still not done! But it’s nice on the other side. Love to y’all!
 
Your knees are rewarding you for never letting them get too unhappy. That cane will end up in your car, probably. Mine lives there, handy in case I should need it some day while out. You will realize one day the cane is sitting in some corner, and you will put it in the car. Let your husband know so he can feel better knowing it’s at hand. :)

Yes!!! I’m very happy with my journey so far. The cane usually is left in the car!!! I often have my hands full and it hangs on my arm. Too funny. And by the way, you all have no idea what this site has meant to me! God bless you and all for your continued support.
 
Hey susieshoes,
Look at This beckaroo helping out the new kid ‘sadd’!
I’m just pointing out how looking at this forum it’s so cool seeing the progression of nervous pre-tkr s to “graduates “. Each helping the next. Merry Christmas,all.

This is what it’s all about! Wish we could all meet up someday, I’ve saved up lots of hugs for you all. Merry Christmas rickj!!!
 
I myself had BTKR, but I was not the one that originated the question. I had consulted with two different surgeons, and each one calmly turned to me after looking at my x-rays, and asked, do you want to do them both at the same time? My response was —-“only if you feel I am a good candidate for that”.
I can tell you that it’s doable, it’s work for sure. But I would certainly leave that decision up to your surgeon whether to do Bilateral or stage them. It’s turned out great for me to put it crudely, I decided to go through hell and a half once, rather than go through hell twice (hell being a relative term!)
 
Boy @rickj - my surgeon wouldn't do two at the same time but reading about all you BTKR's out there I kind of wish I had as it's going to be quite sometime before I have the gumption to do the other one now!
 
I think for me I had zero tread on either tire so I had to go bilateral
 
I think for me I had zero tread on either tire so I had to go bilateral

That was me, also! Grinding my way through life... I guess I could say right now I’m at the same place I was before BTKR. Go one day, recover two days. Pretty much how I lived before my surgery. It can only get better from here on out! I can hardly wait!
 
Watch for those tiny teeny victories and advances. That’s what we’re building on
 
Back
Top Bottom