Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Beckaroo's recovery thread

Perfect time to have surgery? Never. I waited two full years too long waiting for the perfect time... it never came. Finally one day you just collapse in tears and say, "I need to have the surgery." And you do. And you wonder why you waited so long. The perfect time is whatever time you have it.

Sounds like you're doing just fine. You are in the weeks of temptation, when you feel pretty good and the knees are doing better, and you think... maybe. Maybe you can do a little (or a lot) more. Maybe you can push the envelope. Because healthy people do that, they push themselves, and it's all good because healthy people have enormous reserves of energy and, well, health. But you don't. Not yet. People at six weeks of recovery, and bilateral maybe more than single knees (because they're healing for two), have teeny-tiny reserves. Just enough, and not much more than that. So these are the weeks of the Over Did It Club.

The good thing: You know to expect this. So keep your hand firmly on the reins and take things slow. Slow and steady really does win this race.

You can still do lots of things, especially if you make adjustments in how you do them. We humans are terribly inventive. Plus, people like to help, really they do. Consider delegating. :wave:
 
Perfect time to have surgery? Never. I waited two full years too long waiting for the perfect time... it never came. Finally one day you just collapse in tears and say, "I need to have the surgery." And you do. And you wonder why you waited so long. The perfect time is whatever time you have it.

I remember asking my doctor, “When will I know it’s time?” I’ll never forget his response... “You’ll wake up one day and say you’re DONE! Then is the time”. He was RIGHT! All the injections, pain pills, therapy, etc. stopped working. My knee have sucked the life out of me long enough!! Onward to surgery I went!! :fasthorse: And, if your investigating this site, more than likely, you’re ready...

Question....how do I change my post titles to different titles like you all do? Example, yours says week one, week two, etc.
Thanks for directing me!! This place and you all ROCK!
 
Had PT again today. Measured Left 110/0, and Right was 97/-7.... Week 6, almost week 7 and I STILL can’t get zero extension on my right leg! :groan: What am I to do!!?? It just is sooo much more swollen than the left knee and refusing to go straight. It’s now been three weeks with no change for the better.

My PT is a bit concerned and wanted me to use an exercise band today. To be honest... I did a few, wrote down I completed them and moved on... thanks to Bonesmarties, I KNOW I’m not ready for exercise bands! I’m off PT all next week, because family is coming and my PT “warned” me I better be improved when I come back! She wanted to know what I do at home at 6 weeks out... umm, make my bed, shower, take the dogs out and sit in the sun, get my coffee/food when hubs is working.... not much! It’s PT that’s making my knees swell, not what I do at home!

So, I’ll take time for extra icing and elevation and wait for the swelling to go. Feeling encouraged, in spite of it all... we’ll see what the future measurements hold...:spin:
 
What am I to do!!??
You'll not going to sweat it! Extension for most of us, came slower, but it does come. If you try and force it, is going to swell more and your numbers get worse.

I’m off PT all next week, because family is coming and my PT “warned” me I better be improved when I come back!
And what is PT going to do if you're not improved? Are they going to fire you? You should be so lucky. It's not therapy that improves ROM, it's getting that swelling down!

It’s PT that’s making my knees swell, not what I do at home!
Well, there's your answer. PT is making you worse. It is not helping you at all. Only allowing your knee to heal is what will help you, not exercise.
 
Extention or straightness often comes later in recovery. I found it helped for me to sit in my chair and stretch my leg over to the ottoman a few times a week. Walking also helps to stretch out those muscles for extention. But truly just work atbot slowly with stretches, it really isn’t anything to stress over. Remember, this recovery can take up to a year. Check out the link about extention.

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/extension-how-to-estimate-it-and-ways-to-improve-it.9529/
 
Well, there's your answer. PT is making you worse. It is not helping you at all. Only allowing your knee to heal is what will help you, not exercise.

This made me laugh...:idea: HELLO!!! I really needed to hear this!!! I think in my heart I’ve known this, but well... they scare you! Why don’t the therapist know these things!? Well, I suppose they then might not have jobs?!

I am taking this next week off, but I’m probably going to over do a tad bit. I’m being honest here... I know myself. For example, after an hour of PT this morning, which included an hour drive (by husband) both ways, I rode the motor-cart at Walmart shopping for an hour, came home iced, took the pups out, fried two chickens, made scalloped potatoes (family coming) and pretty much cleaned the kitchen. Was hurting pretty bad by then. We’ve got a jetted-bathtub...so I decided to give heat a try instead of icing. Soaked a good long time, and you know if felt pretty darn good! :bath:

The one thing I noticed tonight is that my right knee, the one with poor extension had a clunk to it when I walk. That’s new to this knee, like it loosened up! Hopefully, I’m not kidding myself, but I’m pretty sure it’s clunking now just like the left (good) one!!

Thank you again for helping me see T R U T H right in front of my face!! Feeling sleepy with meds, so good night and God bless!
 
Wow @Beckaroo ! A hot tub? How long did you stay in? My doc said no hot tubs or sauna for 3 months at least. Did it swell? Did you have to ice afterwards? I SO want to get in my sauna so I'm interested in your experience. Thank you...
 
Why don’t the therapist know these things!? Well, I suppose they then might not have jobs?!
I think you hit it on the head. It's a financial thing.

How did you do after the soaking in the hot tub? We don't recommend it this early in your recovery because it usually causes more swelling.
 
Wow @Beckaroo ! A hot tub? How long did you stay in? My doc said no hot tubs or sauna for 3 months at least. Did it swell? Did you have to ice afterwards? I SO want to get in my sauna so I'm interested in your experience. Thank you...

Hi Funkymuse! :wave:
It wasn’t a hot tub, I wish I had one, it was just our jetted bathtub. :bath:

I ran the water very warm but not at all the kind of heat that makes your butt red. So it was delightful! The jets were adjusted to jet water to the outside of my “bad” knee and it was like a water massage. Heavenly! No swelling happened, and it was probably the best night I’ve slept.

I’ve been thinking I have sciatica, not sure but whatever is causing the pain that runs down from my butt to my calf, didn’t hurt last night. Hopefully, it’s gone... but I’m not holding my breath! :nah:
 
How did you do after the soaking in the hot tub? We don't recommend it this early in your recovery because it usually causes more swelling.

I was telling Funkymuse, I wish it was a hot tub. Just my jetted bathtub. Hot tubs usually are hotter, right? Hotter than a bath? I’d say I just used bath water temperature... nothing to drastic. I was more interested in the jets, and boy did they do the job! Hopefully, it’ll work tonight!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Beckaroo's recovery thread
Well, I just might be a member of the over-do-it-club. How does one qualify? Made my bed, two loads of laundry, folded and put away, baked cookies, cleaned bathrooms, dusted, hubs vacuumed, I mopped and we took our little Pomeranian to be groomed! And now.... going grocery shopping!!! On a motor cart of course! Feeling great, extremely low swelling, only once pain meds early on because getting up is always hard till I get going! I’ll let you all know how it goes tonight when I lay down and you can really feel the pain!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure if a hot tub is hotter than a regular tub or not. The one I had heated the water while it circulated. If you were distressed by your soak, then you're probably OK. I was always afraid I couldn't get back out, so I never tried!

You did way too much yesterday. You become a member of the ODIC if you get much worse pain from your over active day. You do not want to go there. Usually, it takes just one visit and you'll never go back! I hope you didn't get a visit there. If so, I'm not surprised. It will take at least a few days of doing nothing to recoup. Please slow down those activities and give your knees a break!
 
Boy.. you are rocking your recovery... I can't even stand in the kitchen yet for a few minutes without swelling and pain and having to run to a chair to put my leg up! I'm sure looking forward to getting to where you are!
 
Ok. So. Another uneventful night. I slept through the night and it was wonderful. The sciatica is getting less painful as time goes by, but something else has happened!

My leg cramps have returned!!! Woke up this morning pain free, laying there nice and comfy and then here it comes. CRAMPS! I usually take magnesium and potassium for them, and hadn’t since knee surgery. Could this mean my nerves are healing?

Well, my new knees definitely want to be used. So far I’ve had little swelling, and it seems a good icing seems to take care of it.

I’ll see what tonight brings..
 
@Beckaroo - Did you have swelling and stiffness in the early weeks? When you are doing all that work on your feet does your knee swell? I can't get up for 2 minutes before mine starts in! As far as leg cramps, since I've stopped the OXY mine have been sneaking in here and there so it may be a part of withdrawal if you have been cutting down on your meds.... not sure. But what I do is get up and work my calf muscles for about 5 minutes, walking, stretching and the like; and also I find rubbing a good cream or lotion deeply into the calf muscles really works at settling them down. I can't stand them, they are just awful!
 
By cramps do you mean sharp shooting quick pains? I experienced “zingers” which were surprising, but lasted for short periods of time.
 
@funkymuse , I had bad swelling and stiffness early on. So much so, I had to walk stiff legged! It’s only gotten “this good” this last week. My left leg hardly swells at all. But my right still gives me troubles. I also want to clarify something... between the things I’m doing, I also include plenty of icing and elevating. Tomorrow I’ll be 7 weeks out from surgery.
 
:):):)
By cramps do you mean sharp shooting quick pains? I experienced “zingers” which were surprising, but lasted for short periods of time.

Hi KarriB!
In 2006 I had weight loss surgery. I’ve kept 130 pounds off and managed to stay between a size 14-16. I hate to weigh. I have to take magnesium and potassium daily or I suffer. My body doesn’t hold on to certain nutrients well anymore. I never had them until after WLS. But that’s exactly where the cramps come from! They are in my inner thighs and they are excruciating! My muscle tightens up and wakes me out of a sound sleep. I could scream they hurt so bad. Even with taking supplements, I’d have them fairly often... but not the last few weeks since BTKR. I’d hoped it was because of the knee surgery, with the nerves being cut. But I guess not, being as they’re back. :gaah:
 
No two knees are the same and your right one must have had more work done. They always say to not compare knees, even on the same body!

If I were you, I'd call my OS and ask if you can go back on your supplements. At seven weeks, I bet you can. The magnesium and potassium will probably knock out those muscle cramps. I've also read that tonic water is good for them.
 
Yes, call about the supplements. I bet you can take them again now. And I second the nod for tonic water. I have a tendency to get foot cramps rarely, but painfully, and tonic water helps them go away never to return (well, at least for a few months or more).

Your strategy of icing and elevating after every round of exercise (however brief or non-strenuous) is a good one. At least, it worked for me! Knees like themselves a little TLC.

Oh, and you asked earlier about post titles... there are none unless you make your own. Just format the first line of any post and make it your title.

Month 2: What In the World Did I Think I Was Doing?

Instant Title! :happydance:
 
Back
Top Bottom