Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Beckaroo's recovery thread

What is tonic water?
 
Here you are - straight from Wikipedia:
"Tonic water (or Indian tonic water) is a carbonated soft drink in which quinine is dissolved. Originally used as a prophylactic against malaria, tonic water usually now has a significantly lower quinine content and is consumed for its distinctive bitter flavor. It is often used in mixed drinks, particularly in gin and tonic."

You should be able to buy it in the supermarket. Some people have found it effective in preventing cramps.
 
Hello @Beckaroo - have you tried magnesium lotion or magnesium oil? I hear you can get really good amounts of magnesium by applying topically - much better than by taking internally.
 
I’m another btkr-er. I did both basically because both of my knees were so shot bone on bone, with every step painful etc.
My left knee is lagging behind my right in healing, which I’ve learned from these forums is not real unusual , but both are progressing. I’m coming up on 10 months, and frankly it seems like I’m healing slower than a lot of folks here, which doesn’t concern me anymore, because I’ve certainly come along way, and I am figuring I am probably going to feel 100% healed at the one-year mark , Or thereabouts, which is January 25.
If you see any of my other dry recent posts, you’ll see that it’s not unusual for me, in the last month, to be sitting standing or walking and just enjoying how healthy my knees/legs are feeling today!
Pretty sweet! On the other hand my old friend swelling has not left me completely! Yes even at 10 months I usually have some swelling, and swelling and stiffness are something that I have had since my surgery and us TKR folks know what the hell knee stiffness is. I’m well over the hump of swelling and stiffness, relative to the worst of it.
Regarding ROM and PT. I kind of took over my own PT, going to the YMCA, what was always stressed by my surgeon and my PTs was, ROM ROM and ROM. They had little concerned about general exercising or walking etc. I was doing pretty good on my ROM, then started ignoring it for more time on the elliptical and bike stationary, and I found that while I was generally getting stronger, I had forgotten to concentrate on my rom. And I lost some degrees. That was about six months in. Since then I’ve continued to work on my general physical strength and my ROM and both are getting better. I personally do not think it’s a good idea to do no physical therapy. But I do know you can overdo it so just listen to your body.
Of course it’s taken me months to figure out what my body is trying to tell me, but I am getting progressively better on regulating walking exercising stretching And rest. One thing is true that I learned in this forum at least for me if you keep working on that ROM seriously it will improve even after six weeks or whatever!
 
You’re far enough out that you should be able to start back on your supplements. Give the OS office a call tomorrow.
 
An exercise I was told about by a fellow BTKR – ER, is this; on your back, get your butt as close to the wall as you can, put your feet/legs straight up against the wall. Just hold this position for a while , just get in this position as a “rest “ position. I have a literally felt swelling drain from my knees doing this for a while. I find this very relaxing as well.
After doing this for a while, I will take a belt, put around the bottom of each foot, one at a time, and stretch my hamstrings. Which by the way, helps with the zero degree extension.
 
@sistersinhim , I really don’t think my OS even cares if I take my supplements or not...they sent papers home after surgery with different information such as; don’t drive on pain meds, don’t go on long trips if possible, don’t attend events where you stand for long periods, etc. When I call the surgery coordinator , who I have to call as the OS doesn’t take messages, they basically say use your best judgement.

So....I’ve begun taking all my supplements at this time. I feel as though I’m healing faster even because of them. Haven’t had any more cramps at this time either!
 
An exercise I was told about by a fellow BTKR – ER, is this; on your back, get your butt as close to the wall as you can, put your feet/legs straight up against the wall. Just hold this position for a while , just get in this position as a “rest “ position. I have a literally felt swelling drain from my knees doing this for a while. I find this very relaxing as well.
After doing this for a while, I will take a belt, put around the bottom of each foot, one at a time, and stretch my hamstrings. Which by the way, helps with the zero degree extension.

Hi rickj! That’s an awesome idea!!! I’m certainly going to give this a try. It makes total sense that gravity, and elevation would take care of the swelling. I’ll let you know how it works for me.
 
I have actually ran into three people in different places, YMCA, resort in Palm Desert, saw a “ supermodel” on TV talking about this exercise, so it’s not a total secret but more than a few people know about it and all have pretty much raved about it! I’d love to hear if it helps you.
 
I have actually ran into three people in different places, YMCA, resort in Palm Desert, saw a “ supermodel” on TV talking about this exercise, so it’s not a total secret but more than a few people know about it and all have pretty much raved about it! I’d love to hear if it helps you.

Well, I only had time to try it once since family soon arrived for the week. I’ll start again and get back to you. The only time I tried it, I love it!!
 
Hello @Beckaroo - have you tried magnesium lotion or magnesium oil? I hear you can get really good amounts of magnesium by applying topically - much better than by taking internally.

I have not tried this! Interesting. I’ve never heard of the lotion or oil, I’m certainly going to look into it. Thank you so much for sharing!
 
7 weeks out!
With a house full of visiting family, I did very well. I was able to do stretching and a few mild exercises. I went with my kids one day to an antique store and did some walking, using my cane. Only needed a pain pill once in the morning to help get the stiffness out and get going. I had some mild swelling, but nothing major. I was able to bend my knees and walk pretty normal.

Then came Thanksgiving Day!!! Oooo boy! I’m an official member of the Over-Do-It-Club!!! My son is a chef, so he helped or I’d have NEVER got it done. Even with he and I making desserts the day before, it wiped me out!! My son has an auto-immune disease and being on his feet kills him too... so together we plowed through and made dinner.

Today, we’ll just let’s say today feels like week two. I am so swollen it’s horrible. Back to square one! Ice, elevate and survival walking! My poor husband is still cleaning and putting things away. He really does deserve an award!

Just want to note... though I’m swollen and stiff, there really is little pain. I know better than to push it more, but I diffently can tell there has been tremendous healing.

Hope all were smarter than me, and had a wonderful holiday! Blessings...
 
It will probably take a few days to recoup. Be sure to ice and elevate as much as you can. But, I bet you say it was worth it to have that wonderful day you had yesterday.
 
The pain seems to radiate from my right hip and runs down the side of my leg to my knee. It throbs if I lay on my right side, making it impossible.

Are you still having pain here? If you had never had “sciatica” like you mentioned, I would think this could be more IT band related. I’m not a doc and not giving medical advice, but the IT band runs in that same area you talk about and I know tight IT bands seem to happen to a lot of us during our recovery. I have been stretching my IT band everyday since returning to PT for some specific issues (IT Band Syndrome was one of them).

Sounds like you made it through the holiday and now it’s time to return to normally scheduled programming... “healing”. :)
 
I have been stretching my IT band everyday since returning to PT for some specific issues (IT Band Syndrome was one of them).

I have no idea! But I’ll certainly look into it. Thank you for mentioning it. I’ve never even heard of an IT band? It been kind of weird since surgery getting any advice or answers to my concerns. PT just brushes any weird aches or pains off, I can’t actually speak to the surgeon... I have to go through her assistant, and she’s very rude...especially about pain meds. My husband says I should just call our regular doctor. I believe I’ll do just that. Thanks again!
 
It will probably take a few days to recoup. Be sure to ice and elevate as much as you can. But, I bet you say it was worth it to have that wonderful day you had yesterday.

Every single minute! :yes!:
 
Here I am, two days out from Thanksgiving ODIC. Yep, thats me. I’m a member. Can barely walk, swollen, aching all over. I’ve been sitting or laying for two days! :groan: I’ve also ran out of my tramadol, which I thought were only for my knees, but have now realized they kept the arthritis in my poor old hands at bay. Was using the narco that the OS had given me, didn’t realize when I stopped my hands would give me fits.

Oh, I’ll NEVER do this again! Ice is my best friend. Brought out the foam wedges to elevate again.
Oooooo me, oooo my. People, don’t do what I did!!
Don’t do it!! :bignono:
 
Yea that’s way too soon. 2 days out I ways totally consumed with the pain and lack of sufficient pain meds I was getting.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom