Bilateral TKR Beckaroo's recovery thread

Sorry about the ODIC, but the holidays are a great temptation to overdo. While it might feel a little silly or overcautious to limit oneself per a schedule or plan, that’s really the best way to not end up in pain. So sorry you are paying the consequences, but it does sound Ike you had an amazing Thanksgiving meal!
 
Yea that’s way too soon. 2 days out I ways totally consumed with the pain and lack of sufficient pain meds I was getting.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal

Actually, I’m 7 weeks out from surgery. I was two days out from Thanksgiving and suffering like no tomorrow!! Over did Thanksgiving Day!! Whew...beginning to feel more normal today. But I agree, there’s absolutely no way I could have done a thing two days out of surgery.
 
@rickj just wanted to let you know, I tried that exercise. The one where you put your legs up the wall...well, let’s just say I’ve not had such a good laugh in a long time!! I physically am incapable of getting my bottom to the wall!!! How in the world do you do it!? :rofsign:I got on the floor and slithered on my back till I practically lost my shirt! My husband and literally laughed and laughed until we cried. So....I tried on the bed!! It was hysterical! :rotfl: No, this ones for someone in better physical shape than this grandma!!
 
So funny! Btw. I never said,I don’t think , that my butt touched the wall!!! I just get as vertical as possible! I probably dream I’m that flexible!!
 
My husband and literally laughed and laughed until we cried.
This is so good for you! Just think of those muscles you exercised while laughing, not to mention how good it felt to your spirit! BTW, how did you get off the floor? I was unable to do that for about 6 months.
 
So funny! Btw. I never said,I don’t think , that my butt touched the wall!!! I just get as vertical as possible! I probably dream I’m that flexible!!

Hahahaaa!!! Had it in my head my butt needed to be right against the wall!!! Too funny!
 
This is so good for you! Just think of those muscles you exercised while laughing, not to mention how good it felt to your spirit! BTW, how did you get off the floor? I was unable to do that for about 6 months.

Now that’s funny too! I get up on my toes and walk myself up with my hands as far as I can go. Somehow it works for me. Same way I get out of the bathtub. My husband says I’ve got some wild moves! :heehee:
:eyebrows:
 
Graduation from Physical Therapy!!!
They let me go today... left leg is 130/2!! That’s a 2 PLUS! I can hyperextend my left leg!!! Yippie!!
Right leg is 105/-5. But that an improvement! I have pretty good balance also and they left the cane optional. So no more getting up at the crack of dawn to drive an hour both ways to PT! My husband is very happy as he works nights. As a side note, I’m done taking Norco and now back on Tramadol for the osteoarthritis in my hands. Was hoping to not take anything, but when opening a door or holding a coffee cup is so painful...you need something I guess.
The pain meds make me feel creepy in my own body, glad to be done with that one.
 
I get up on my toes and walk myself up with my hands as far as I can go.
I'm unable to do that unless I lean on a knee first. Do you push from your hands and toes for that first move? I have to turn around on the floor, lean on my left knee and then get on my feet and walk up with my hands. I'm going to have to try your way. When I have lefty replaced I won't be able to lean on it anymore!

That’s a 2 PLUS! I can hyperextend my left leg!!!
After you go past straight, it's goes into negative numbers, so you are a -2! For less than 2 months you are doing amazingly! And best of all, no more PT! Yippee!
 
I needed a break today while cleaning the master bathroom and my dog was downstairs so I tried the wall for awhile - it felt pretty good. Just laid there telling my leg to drain lol.
 
Your post Made me think of how graceful I must look getting down on the floor then up! It ain’t pretty!
I have to bend over and go into a push-up kind of position, then sort of drop down on my side. I dare not lean on a knee !
I’ve actually decided that I would wait a year before even asking my Surgeon if I can ever kneel again
Anyway, getting up is just as graceful.
I roll into a push-up position , then scoot feet and hands into a standing position. All the while quietly grunting!
 
I'm unable to do that unless I lean on a knee first. Do you push from your hands and toes for that first move? I have to turn around on the floor, lean on my left knee and then get on my feet and walk up with my hands. I'm going to have to try your way. When I have lefty replaced I won't be able to lean on it anymore!

After you go past straight, it's goes into negative numbers, so you are a -2! For less than 2 months you are doing amazingly! And best of all, no more PT! Yippee!
After you go past straight, it's goes into negative numbers, so you are a -2!

Now I asked and asked to be sure about the negative or plus numbers, and was told over and over that until I straightened to a zero any bend is considered a negative number and hypertension is a plus? But I put my trust in you Bonesmarties! Those therapists wanting you to bend a swollen knee are just crazy!
:no-fin:
Also, in my much younger days I had pretty amazing upper body strength for a girl. I was the odd girl in high school that could beat the boys at chin ups! So I’ve pretty much always been able to get myself up and out of tight situations using upper body strength.
You’d never know I was able to do such things by looking at me now, but I guess I’ve still got enough to get up off the floor without using my knees!
 
@Beckaroo, here's Josephine's explanation on how to measure ROM.
ttps://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/rom-range-of-motion-information.3730/

I'm sure your strong upper body strength is a huge help in being able to keep yourself off of your knees when getting up off the floor! With touchy shoulders, I don't have that blessing.
 
I needed a break today while cleaning the master bathroom and my dog was downstairs so I tried the wall for awhile - it felt pretty good. Just laid there telling my leg to drain lol.

You did it! Ok, I must keep trying!!! I want to experience this...
 
I’ve actually decided that I would wait a year before even asking my Surgeon if I can ever kneel again.

Can you get on your knees on the bed. I can. It feels kind of weird, but makes me think when all healing is completely done I’ll be able to get down on one of those foam garden pads. I hope anyways. Just for the occasional time I need to get my big pots out from the back cupboard...
 
Honestly I think I’m being a weenie, because I haven’t asked my surgeon if it’s doable, and I was going to wait till my one year anniversary January 25 to even ask him . And I can guarantee you though, if I can, I’m going to start like you suggested, on a mattress and then from there kneepads etc. it would be nice to be able to occasionally Kneel!
I’m comfortable on a ladder and get down on the floor and up. It’s just without touching a knee to the floor. So you can use your imagination on how graceful and glamorous I must appear getting up-and-down from the floor!!
 
I’m comfortable on a ladder and get down on the floor and up. It’s just without touching a knee to the floor. So you can use your imagination on how graceful and glamorous I must appear getting up-and-down from the floor!!

I get up and down off the floor easily enough without using my knees at only two months out. It’s pretty funny to see! So I can imagine how glamorous YOU are!! :heehee: But hey, we get the job done!
Wow! I can’t wait to be a year out. My husband is a die-hard motorcycle enthusiast. He commutes to work 2 hours a day, rain or sun. I ride behind him and our favorite place to travel to is Death Valley in the Fall. He’s promised me a trip next fall. It’ll be a year, I can’t imagine how it’ll be to be a whole year out?! Fabulous I hope.
 
I will say at 10 months I have occasional spells of “mmmm. My legs feel good ,healthy. Boy that’s sweet.!
I really don’t miss that bone on bone every darn step pain!!!!!!
I’m starting to enjoy walking farther and farther. 4.5 miles one day last month walk in Carmel with grandkids!
And I noticed today,while walking on uneven ground (3months ago I was like a 100year old man so cautious on less than flat ground!! Today I was VERY mindful of my steps, but DELIBERATE,as opposed to super cautious.
So yeah it’s getting better SLOWLY. But you at 2 months!!! Me at 2 months was a BTKR Percocet BLUR!!!!
I think you’re ahead of where I was at 2 months!!
I so wish you the best. Yeah by a year it will be fabulous for all of us!
At 10 months I’m pretty darn happy while still feeling 80% healed. I’m definitely not 100% healed but 80ish % is feeling good. By next fall you’ll be smiling wide in Death Valley!
 
I’m starting to enjoy walking farther and farther. 4.5 miles one day last month walk in Carmel with grandkids!

I can wait to go walk with the grandkids! 4.5 miles is amazing!! I just tried to cook breakfast for my husband and myself, he had to finish... the swelling began.... that’s what keeps me down. Swelling. If only I didn’t swell. But I understand, it’s necessary to ice and rest as I’m NOT yet healed. You’re in California too! Carmel is beautiful!! Lucky you!! Sounds like your days of even thinking about bone on bone are falling away day by day.
 
Back
Top Bottom