Bilateral TKR Beckaroo's recovery thread

I was five weeks out yesterday and am going to give it time before shaving my legs-- underarms are a whole different matter. Let's just say I am thankful for cold weather.:snows:

You are so cute and this really cracked me up!! My daughter inlaw and I have a standing joke about winter hairy legs and our men folk think we are so gross! But yes, we must shave out pitts!!
:rofsign:
 
Thank you! I know when I tell people I am having both done they look at me like I am crazy. I probably am but like you I just want it over with! The time thing is a big factor for me though because I am the most impatient person alive!!! I will have to work hard on that one for sure. Countdown is beginning for me and I am using this time to eat healthy and lose a few pounds and get to the gym at least 5 times a week. Hard with the holidays but figure any amount of weight I lose will be a bonus.
 
Thank you! I know when I tell people I am having both done they look at me like I am crazy. I probably am but like you I just want it over with! The time thing is a big factor for me though because I am the most impatient person alive!!! I will have to work hard on that one for sure. Countdown is beginning for me and I am using this time to eat healthy and lose a few pounds and get to the gym at least 5 times a week. Hard with the holidays but figure any amount of weight I lose will be a bonus.

I totally understand the part of people thinking you’re crazy. I went through the same thing with my family. I’ve had past surgeries, not knees, and healed very quickly. I’m one who usually bounces back pretty good, otherwise I might have considered differently. No.... not true. Just typing that last statement makes me realize how untrue that is. The surgery is a hard recovery, the pain I lived with on a daily basis was outrageous....I still would have done them both for that reason alone!! I could not live with that pain level anymore!

The down time, I mean sleeping time, elevating time, icing time, on you butt doing nothing time, wears on you real good. Plan ahead...best magazines, a good book to read, pre-made meals, your house spic & span if you’re that kind of gal, crafts, letters/cards/stamps (my grandkids loved this part) things to keep you busy. Otherwise, I went looney!

My husband was off three weeks, they approved him due to my surgery being bilateral. And then... he ended up taking another week because I really needed more help... we had recently moved and have 5 little dogs that have to be TAKEN outdoors to do their business. I just wasn’t able to handle that situation yet. Fortunately, he’s saved months worth of sick leave and never missed a paycheck! Had it not been for the pups, I’d have been fine after two weeks if all I had to do was tend to my own needs. So please, seriously consider your support system. Don’t say no to ANY offers... you’ll regret it later. My mother offered to clean for me the other day but lives a distant away. I even considered it!! But said no thank you... I have the time to go slowly and can keep housework in pretty good check... though my floors do need mopped! :giggle:

Even with planning for your down time, it’s so hard not being active. You think your knees have robbed you of life... well, pretty soon they majorly steal the life out of you... but this time....there IS a limit! Because you’ll be on the road to recovery!! Every week gets better!

I ended up cutting out all carbs, ate meat and vegetables, bacon and eggs, etc. just no carbs and lost 15 pounds before surgery. My OS asked me to lose 10. I was about 40 pounds heavier than need be, so I was happy to have the motivation to try and lose. But exercise was out of the question. My daily activities were extremely painful due to my knees and I couldn’t imagine going to a gym! Good for you for going!! I wonder had I exercised prior to surgery what the difference in outcome would have been?

So, again...congratulations!!! You go girl! We’re all here for you for the long haul....hugs!:thumb:
 
Update. Yesterday 8.3 miles walked. (Disneyland with grandkids) I survived!!! Actually my calves and thighs are sore. Knees fine! (They are bionic after all!!)
I think I’ve graduated.....10 months has been the magic month
Still more healing to go I feel like 20% roughly more healing. From my experience I will probably feel like I’m 100 percent healed in 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 months!!!, However. I’m at the end of the tunnel!!!!!!
After walking 8.3 miles in one day and my knees are the least sore thing. FRIKIN YAY!!!!
Looking forward to my 100% whatever that might be. And yours!!!!
Don’t let me fool you too much, I’m elevating! Of course that may be for the rest of my life
 
Update. Yesterday 8.3 miles walked. (Disneyland with grandkids) I survived!!! Actually my calves and thighs are sore. Knees fine! (They are bionic after all!!)
I think I’ve graduated.....10 months has been the magic month
Still more healing to go I feel like 20% roughly more healing. From my experience I will probably feel like I’m 100 percent healed in 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 months!!!, However. I’m at the end of the tunnel!!!!!!
After walking 8.3 miles in one day and my knees are the least sore thing. FRIKIN YAY!!!!
Looking forward to my 100% whatever that might be. And yours!!!!
Don’t let me fool you too much, I’m elevating! Of course that may be for the rest of my life

HOORAY!!!! Oh my goodness, I’m freaking happy for you!!! This is the most awesome thing ever! I can’t imagine! Two years ago my son and his family came down from Oregon to stay with us a couple of days, (we’re half way between Oregon family and Disneyland) on their way to Disneyland. I was invited but had to decline. Didn’t want to be a wheelchair burden. But next time...IM GOING!!
Woot!!

This has made my day! I kid you not, super excited for you!! 8.3 miles!!! In one day! :yes!:

There is light and hope at the end of our tunnels! What a pleasure to journey through with you. We’ve all suffered horribly with our poor wretched knees, we all feel one another’s pain and joys!! Congratulations friend, you’ve clearly made it to the good life side....
 
Just makes my day to see you doing so wonderfully! Having bilateral replacements is a pain at first —literally and in terms of an annoying recovery— but is soooo worth it. Like you say, the pain in my knees was so horrible I could not see continuing to live that way. And now, like Rick, I can walk all day for miles. It’s such a blessing and at this time of year, it really comes home! :santaclap:
 
Just makes my day to see you doing so wonderfully! Having bilateral replacements is a pain at first —literally and in terms of an annoying recovery— but is soooo worth it. Like you say, the pain in my knees was so horrible I could not see continuing to live that way. And now, like Rick, I can walk all day for miles. It’s such a blessing and at this time of year, it really comes home! :santaclap:

SusieShoes, you are so right!! It’s soooo worth all the pain and slow recovery. I can’t wait to join you in your walks. Oh I feel like shouting from the rooftops with just the little success I’ve had already... I’m just waiting for my right knee to catch up and of course I still have quite a bit of swelling after being on my feet for awhile. But just seeing the daily improvement is very encouraging. I can hardly wait to go on walks! I know our pups will love it!

:merryx:
 
I remember the celebrations when I was able to do a 'new' little thing! Before long you'll be doing lots of celebrating!
 
11 weeks on the recovery side! One more week and it’ll be three months. When I reflect back to those days right after surgery...I’ve come a long way in a short time. I feel like I wasted so much life having not done this sooner. Why do we wait so long? I truly wish I’d had surgery 5 years ago! Ok, it’s been 11 weeks, most of them difficult, but not as hard as living with the extreme pain day and night. Oh why did I wait so long?!

This last week I have to admit that there’s not been a huge physical change in my recovery. But something has definitely happened... I’ve gotten my energy and motivation back! It kind of scares me. I have to be very, very careful to not overdo. I’m napping less and less. The last 2 days I’ve required no naps! Now last week I absolutely had to lay down twice a day. I’m feeling a strong urge to return to my normal routines, instead of laying around resting or having no motivation. I’m off all medications and feeling really good. I feel as though I’ve turned a corner. It’s hard to explain, but I think you all know what I mean...

I type up our Pastors notes from books he reads. There was no way I had the energy or motivation to do that... but now I do. I volunteer at our churches preschool office two days a week, and had no desire to go in and work. Now it’s all I can think about. I’m anxious to get on with my life. But the best part is I know soon I can easily do all these things!!

Merry Christmas sweet friends!!! :candle:
 
Fabulous report Beckaroo! You are such an inspiration! Merry Christmas to you too!!!
:tree2;
 
Another great report! You’ve turned a corner, a really good one, but know to beware of the occasional reappearance of the need to nap —it will happen— and that it won’t be a setback, just a catch-up. The energy drain is still there, but it’s become less enough you can work with it. It’s so invigorating to get back to your life as you knew, only it’s better now. For me, it was when I realized grocery shopping was a pleasure, and I didn’t have to plan my aisles for least amount of steps... I could run back to the produce section without dreading it. Silly, right? But that was a moment. And so was the day my brain fog cleared and I had a clear head again! It really helps with paying the bills. :heehee:

You’re on your way. What a wonderful season to enjoy your new knees! :santaclap:
 
For me, it was when I realized grocery shopping was a pleasure, and I didn’t have to plan my aisles for least amount of steps... I could run back to the produce section without dreading it. Silly, right? But that was a moment. And so was the day my brain fog cleared and I had a clear head again! It really helps with paying the bills. :heehee:

You’re on your way. What a wonderful season to enjoy your new knees! :santaclap:

Oh boy have I done the aisle planning before! I never used the electric carts BEFORE surgery. What was I thinking!! Vanity? I still have to use the cart, for the meantime...

You talk about brain fog!!! Like where’s my phone and I’m looking, looking, looking...and I’m on it! I can’t tell you how many times my poor husband has run up and down stairs to bring me stuff I forgot to take with me! We live in a three story house! Thank goodness I’m not in charge of the bills. We’d be in big trouble!! But, is that due to the energy drain, drugs or maybe both?

The energy drain was so bad I couldn’t read, or even concentrate on television, at first. It got better of course, but it was extreme! It appears TKR is a pretty major surgery. How does it compare to other types of major surgery I wonder?

Merry Christmas sweet friend...
 
It wasn't the painkillers with me --I was off oxycodone at three weeks and using only Tylenol. But... having been on drugs, and having our metabolisms and bodies whipsawed all over the place with medications of every kind, probably leaves a lingering effect. At some point, though, our body gets back to a semblance of normal! As for the energy drain, that's definitely a culprit.

I've had other major surgeries --abdominal-- and those were nowhere near as painful as this one. My colon resection, though, was incredibly draining. Because of that, I knew not to fight the energy drain. Only Time can defeat that foe. :bored:
 
I can so relate to looking for my phone while sitting on the couch and realizing it’s right in front of me and I’m using it!!! :rotfl:
 
Should I be concerned? I’m still not able to get full extension on my right leg. I mentioned it to my husband. He asked me if I’m still doing my exercises :whistle:.....no. I do housework! I still have some swelling, even after, say making the bed, or cooking breakfast. It causes me to elevate and rest so I can go on during the day and do other chores.

From what I’ve read here, ROM will come when the swelling is better...

Should I be concerned? :shrug:
 
Beckaroo, you are doing your exercises by all the housework you are doing, so tell your husband you are doing your exercises! And you are correct. You will get a better extension when your swelling calms down. As you know, you are still really early in your recovery, not even 1/4 of the way of a year long recovery. You need to have patience and rest, elevate and ice between your chores.
 
Beckaroo, it is great to be this far along, with the worst behind us. Congratulations and continued success
 
Beckaroo, you are doing your exercises by all the housework you are doing, so tell your husband you are doing your exercises! And you are correct. You will get a better extension when your swelling calms down. As you know, you are still really early in your recovery, not even 1/4 of the way of a year long recovery. You need to have patience and rest, elevate and ice between your chores.

Thank you!! That’s exactly what I’m doing. I ice, elevate and rest between chores. I have some super good days and some more “restful” days. Yes, the recovery time is soooo long I sometimes do get impatient. So I’ll just continue on my merry way... but when trouble knee reaches zero extension I’m going shout so loud you’ll all hear me!!!
:happydance:
 
Often extention comes later. Have you tried stretching your leg between a chair you’re sitting in and a stool or ottoman? A few minutes a day may make a difference. Walking is also great for extention.

Thank you KarriB, I do stretches everyday. Usually the tummy on the bed, legs hanging off the edge. I have gone from a 6 extension to about a 2/3. I can get my fingers under the back of the knee, used to I could get my whole hand under. So I’m getting there. I’m impatient. I know that’s the ONLY thing holding me back right now. My left knee barely swells at all.

I haven’t done much walking, as we’ve recently moved in to this house and I’ve been trying to do the last of the organizing and unpacking. I’ll start walking outside tomorrow. I’ll see if that helps.

Thanks for the link!! Good info.
 
Back
Top Bottom