Guest viewing is limited

THR anitawants2tango is taking first steps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anita, the stamina issue is sometimes the biggest hurdle to jump for Smarties. Your body takes awhile to recover from all the trauma and the drugs. Don't worry - just got with the flow as Sandy says. Rest when you need to.
 
Hey Anita -

Enjoyed reading your most recent update about your holiday meal, cake, walking more confidently now, PT, etc. I can relate to your wavering energy levels - I have had similar experience, probably due to the 3 reasons you mentioned. Our bodies did take quite a shock ! I do notice week-to-week that it's improving. I went to donate blood for my next surgery and my hematocrit was quite a bit lower than the first time around - my wifey says this is probably due to the surgery and the body is still recovering. They recommended Iron supplements which I take only occasionally because I'm not fond of the constipation side effect (hey I guess we can talk about this stuff since we are surgical siblings?). Anyway hopefully you (and I) will have more energy each week we recover.

Happy New Year to you !

Kevin
 
Dear Plinej, Sandy, Jaycey and Kevin,
Thanks so very much for the reality checks. On some level I "knew" what you all underscored about the body still very much healing, but it was still hard to reconcile how physically normal I feel with how fatigued I would become. For me it takes the form of unbelievable bodily heaviness and the desire to just sit and stare at the wall! With the wisdom of your guidance I will, as Sandy put it, "go with the flow" and trust that not too far down the road the fatigue will diminish.

Sandy, that was also a very good point you made to remind me that my work is more draining than just the physical effort of being there. I can forget that.

Plinej, I can so relate to your disappointment about not being able to go out with your daughter as usual. I've now broken several dates with my boyfriend - I make them in the morning but when it's time to get dressed to go out, just the idea of picking out an outfit seems like too much effort, never mind actually getting dressed and putting on makeup. The other day I managed to put on mascara and lipstick and was pretty impressed with that Herculean accomplishment.

Kevin, Yes, it's all acceptable here. BTW, I had an iron supplement that was non-constipating that I got at a health food store. And I have to say that the manufacturers were true to their word. Might help with the next go round.
 
Anita,

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you! Sounds like you are doing well and figuring out how much you can do. It took me about 7 months to feel really well and more normal without getting tired after my first THR. Then I started back to work after summer vacation (teaching) and I still got more tired than I used to. It will come, we will get there.
 
Hi Anita,

I'm behind writing you a note. I've been following your thread and always enjoy your outlook and happy, positive updates! Plus you really have been one of my role models to follow. Wait theres more just knowing you live in NY and ride the subway WOW if I lived there I would have to conquer that eventually, I'm still farting around going down one curb "go figure" my stairs skills will come back soon! Thank you for the kind words on my thread...very appreciated and yes I do feel good with my recovery. We really have a fabulous support group here, I just adore everyone!

Happy Happy New Year to you and your loved ones!

Love,

Sarah

xxooxx
 
Sarah, can you come to OZ? I am desperately in need of a full makeover?
Sandy
 
Anita, well done with your progress. I am 10 weeks and back at work, I do notice the fitness is not what it used to be. I think you realise what a hit your body has taken and don't over do things. After the first two weeks back at work I was glad when it came to my days off. Happy new year to you.:thumb:
 
Hi Anita,
I just went through your whole thread for inspiration and got it! I had a rough day today, feeling impatient and discouraged. It was great to watch your steady progress evolve. Thanks for making of available to all of us!
 
Finally got around to watching your last video and wow! You are walking so well - really pleased for you:biggrin:
 
Hi everyone and thanks for all the supportive, and wise, posts.

Just wanted to quickly post that the magic moment finally arrived - no, not tango yet - I can finally do the straight leg lifts!! :yes 4: Get about a foot off the floor and then drop the leg pretty much like a lead balloon, but it feels really good to have the sensation back that I can control the leg. Looking forward to when I can hold it there for 5 seconds like Plinej - that seems really impressive.

Just a quick update for now. Good night.
 
Whooot! Whoot! Anita....time to celebrate MORE than just the coming New Year! Congratulations!!!!:dancy:
 
Anita, my PT's suggestion on the leg lifts really helped a lot to get over the hump. Doing a few reps and switching to something else and working my way up to 10. The gradual approach gave me amazingly quick improvement!! My knee still wants to bend a little and I have been working on that, but I don't dread doing them anymore!! I take it you are talking about the standing ones - how are the laying down ones? I find them more of a challenge although I can't go too high on the standing ones - been trying to work at not hunching over when I do them standing and keeping my hips level instead of working for height.

I does feel like a really accomplishment doesn't it? I am so glad to hear you are making steady progress. I love to hear the milestone reports!!!
 
Hi Anita,

I'm a bit confused (as usual!!).

That's the second reference to "straight leg lifts" I've read recently ..... eeerrm what are they? :scratch:

I want to try them!!!

Charlie
 
Morning Charlie,

I want to know as well, I probably could google but it would be more fun if someone could describe hehehehehe they sound painful though maybe that's just in the beginning?

Happy New Year Charlie!

xxooxx
 
Hi Sarah & Jo,

Thanks I've looked them up I've just started them in the last few days .... now I know what they're called!!:loll:

I also do a variation .... at the top of the lift I bend my knee and straighten again before lowering ... that really works my quads:rolleyespink:
I think I'll call it "the CC variation" :th_heehee:

Charlie

Happy New Year to all reading this thread!!
 
Wow, Charlie, making them more challenging already!? I definitely feel them in my quads but at least they are bearable now.
 
Hi AnitaWTT, Judy, Charlie, Sarah and others, well I know I'm supposed to be resting but I got fed up with reading about you all doing straight leg lifts and other exciting things, so I looked them up too and thought to myself, hey I've been doing those while lying in bed without thinking about it. I think Tai Chi must have made my legs quite strong anyway. So I lay on the floor and did some, slow and controlled, have to say found them more comfy with the good leg bent, as it eases the lower back. So then I got cocky and tried to do the clam shells. Now that's something else!!! I could only open my thigh about 1cm, ha ha! EEEaawww, ow, ow!! That sure put me in my place. Now I think I'll go and take another rest.....
 
We love you Josephine thank you!

I'm shocked because sincerely I'm not the big work out excercise princess, however I'm proud to report like Jane I've been doing these on my own!

Thank you for sharing!

xxooxx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom