TKR June 14th Surgery Done

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmps

junior member
Joined
May 21, 2012
Messages
31
Location
United States
I had my right knee done and am already feeling good about it. The PT and nurse came by today. I came home yesterday afternoon. I am trying to discover a routine and looking forward to improvements. My ROM is 72 and flex is -5.

I got an iPad for fathers day and think I'll be using a lot while icing. :-)
John
 
Welcome to the "other side" and welcome to the forum! The routine is ice/elevate/rest----and repeat! Gentle stretches will help out early, and those improvement will certainly come over time---just take it easy now and be patient!

Please keep coming back and let us know how things are going!out---the more you know about recovery

Here are some articles from the forum library that should really help you understand what recovery most likely will be like----normally, it takes longer than we would like it to, so patience is the key:

The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Progression of activity for TKRs
Knee Replacement - Where Am I in Recovery?
So What Is It Going to Take? The Five “P’s” of Knee Recovery
Work “Smarter” and not “Harder”
About recovering a knee - from one who knows!
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
Myth busting: The "window of opportunity"

MUA (manipulation under anaesthetic) and adhesions
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's Worth the Wait for ROM
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it


you have found a site with many wonderful and compassionate people who have great knowledge about what you are going through. I had a BTKR going on five years ago----recovery, for me, was challenging at times, but, in the end, it was very, very much worth it.


Please take a look at the articles and ask any questions or pose any concerns that you may have!
 
Congrats on having your knee replaced!! It sounds like you are doing just fine. Remember to rest, ice, elevate and take your pain meds on schedule! I'll look forward to hearing your progress when you post on your new iPad!!:SUNsmile:
 
Welcome to the other side. It is a wonderful feeling to have that surgery behind you, and only good things to come.
Do take your pain meds, and don't let the pain get ahead of you.
 
Congrats adn welcome to the other side. Definitely make sure you take your pain meds on a regular schedule. I missed a dose once and the pain took over it took a while for the pain meds to kick in and take the pain away. Just follow the mantra rest, ice, elevate and medicate
 
Congratulations on your new knee! Wishes for a speedy recovery!
 
Welcome, John, to the wonderful world of recovery with its ups :yay: and its downs :sorry:. Please read the links Tim has given you. There's a lot of info there that will go a long way toward making your recovery have more ups than downs. And please follow the BoneSmart mantra (particularly during the first 3 weeks): take pain meds on a schedule, get lots of rest, elevate operated leg (toes above nose), and ice, ice, ice. Keep all exercise to gentle, easy bends and stretches. Your knee needs time to start healing and aggressive PT is counterproductive. Once the "angry soft tissue" stage passes (at least 3 weeks) things will really start to look up. So be kind to your knee so that it will be kind to you. Take care of yourself, keep us posted, we care.
 
Thanks everyone! I feel what you mean about the meds on a schedule. I didn't take one in the middle of the night and it was hurting pretty good. The PT is coming and I took one an hour before. Is it OK to sleep on your side with a pillow between my legs? Laying on my back for too long hurts. Today is my first real session and am anxious to see how it goes.
 
Yes, John, you can sleep on your side, with or without the pillow. Best to use a combo of on your back and on your side, so that part of the night legs are straight and part they are bent.
 
Welcome to recovery, John. I put some pillows behind my back as well as between my legs and then kind of leaned into the back pillows so that I was sort of on my side and sort of on my back. It seemed to be comfortable most of the time.
 
bottomshollow said:
Yes, John, you can sleep on your side, with or without the pillow. Best to use a combo of on your back and on your side, so that part of the night legs are straight and part they are bent.

Maybe because I had both done, but using a pillow between my legs was one of three instructions I remember getting. The other two being avoid pivoting and don't lift more than 10 pounds.
 
Sorry, I didn't properly say hello! Welcome John! My surgery was two weeks ago yesterday, bilateral, and I just came home from rehab yesterday. I hope you have an eventful recovery, as in Look What I Can Do Now!!
 
Very wise to take those pain meds at that time before PT---remember, though, PT should take you to the point of discomfort, and no further.

You should try to take the pain meds on the clock at this time in your recovery so you do not have to deal with the pain issues. Some people use a variety of methods to remind themselves to take the pain meds regularly.

Please keep posting and let us know of your progress; I am looking forward to what the PT has to say and what they had you do.
 
Sorry, I didn't properly say hello! Welcome John! My surgery was two weeks ago yesterday, bilateral, and I just came home from rehab yesterday. I hope you have an eventful recovery, as in Look What I Can Do Now!!

Thanks Janet and best wishes to you on your recovery. My daughters and wife are around enough that I could come straight home a skip rehab.

Referee54 I did some straightens and bends today. Along the lines of the exercises listed here. It is amazing to me how quickly I get tired. As you all say this is a long process.
 
I was stunned at how quickly I tired after what appeared to be very simple and mundane exercises! In the early days of recovery, your body is sending large amounts of energy to the healing of the surgical area, and it is absolutely normal to be exhausted after doing your stretches, etc!
 
I have been off caffeine and salt during recovery and my bloodpressure is going too low. I am talking to my doctor about lowering my meds. This will be a great side effect of eating better. I hope to lose weight and have lost some already. Tkr is good motivation.
 
Hello John, I'm Rita - LTKR on 6/6/12 & like you had low sodium levels. At 3am one morning had a 'light bulb' moment & realised that Tramadol + low sodium = low blood pressure & dizziness. Hubby brought me toast & marmite (do you have marmite in US?) & I haven't looked back. You're doing good, follow everyone's advice, slow & steady, pain = no gain etc etc. I try to post most days so you can seee my first 2 weeks progress at 'Rita's Recovery'. Good luck :thumb:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom