Guest viewing is limited

TKR Woohoo! Now I've got two!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If there is anything I have learned lately, is that things will work out for the best if you just "let it happen". I had lost my job of 6 years that I expected to be at for life and had no idea what to do but then I found a new job online one day and the new job is so much better than the job I left! And in this economy I didn't know what to expect considering so many people were looking for jobs.

Also, i have learned that if you don't like the way that something is in your life, then only you have the power to change it. You either figure out a way to change what it is or you figure out a way to leave it behind for something better.

Life is short and you do not want to live it in misery. You need to leave misery behind and find your happiness.
 
Hi Randi...I've just been calling the knees by when I had them done, but I like the idea of making those their official names. I'm not overly worried about the wrist. No, not true. It's just I'm more worried about work.

Dawn, you are so sweet. I intend to take the high road. Unfortunately, that will likely mean avoidance of my departmental "colleagues" to a large extent. Actually, one is a dear friend, but she's been getting treated pretty shabbily too. In a way I'm lucky that a couple of the courses I teach are stand-alone, in that I'm the only one who teaches them, hence no one to interfere and give me grief. I believe there will be a meeting before I return with me, the new principal, union rep (good), HR person (good), and department head (boo, hiss).

The good news is that I hadn't even thought about my knees this morning until now.

Life is such a balancing act.
Judy, I am sorry it is the grown ups you are fearing. That can cause so much stress! I am glad that you have Union Reps though! :)

Shelly makes an excellent point though! Do you think you could have a meeting w the Department Head before you go back? Talk to her assertively and let her know that you are there to teach the kids. You don't want to have problems with others because the stress isn't in your best interest?

I have been through that mess, and I wish I had handled it differently, for my own sanity!
 
Hmm. I realize that that's a good idea, and that you're studying mediation so you know what you're talking about. However I think it's more than I can do and still retain my composure. She's the main one who's done so many of the nasty things, and I have actually contemplated filing a grievance or three against her. I think, though I could be wrong, that the best thing for me, for my blood pressure, is to avoid her as much as possible. Trust me, though, she has certainly heard my assertive side!

Funny thing... I was reviewing the doctor's restrictions for me at work. He has me walking so little I won't be able to get from my car to my classroom! :xmasgrin:
 
Judy, you know before I started this course I told you I had a HORRIBLE principal? Well, after reading the book Leadership and Self Deception by the Arbinger institute, I realized that I was as much at fault as she was! What I assumed at the time on my part to be assertive, was actually aggressive in her eyes! She was right you know! I blamed her for my misery, all the things that I let get to me and so on... The book gave me a new perspective of how we actually were aggressive towards each other, always blaming the other one for whatever happened.

This probably isn't like your circumstance, but if I knew then, what I know now, she never would have gotten tome. I would not hide but my perspective would change! It's a fantastic book and I bought it on Amazon. It is a fast read and it might help! The sequel is equally as interesting! :happydance:

The last year I taught I sat all the time. My chair could get me anywhere in that tiny closet of a classroom she put me in! As I think about it now, it was an advantage! The new Principal, Shiela, asked how anyone could teach in there? Several teachers told her I was the last one and was great at it! Shiela and I have known each other for 18 years through teaching. She said "yes" I can see Brekke as successful in there, but no other teacher will be cramped in there again! She even called my old principal and asked why I had been stuck in the closet! LOL.
 
I am quite sure my dept head sees me as aggressive at times. I see her as passive aggressive, among other things...

The book sounds like worthwhile reading. I'll check it out.
Thanks.
 
Maybe I should read that book Sonya, sounds interesting. I could have used it 5 years ago!

It's so hard to deal with certain people, especially at work where you often have no choice in who you must interact with. I found that the awful boss I had back then just sparked the worst in me. It was so tough to not completely lose it on her, and trust me, I hate confrontation. A some point I realized that our issues needed fuel to keep burning. I then gave myself an analogy that I still use to this day. Think of a balloon. Then think about how it gets full of air; you blow into it right? No air, no balloon. I decided that as long as I added air to "our" balloon, these things would still bother me to the point of misery. Once I got control of this idea, I stopped playing her game. It wasn't easy and can still get me quickly uptight even thinking about it now, but this technique did help.

I know things will improve Judy. You have a good heart, and good things happen to good people.

Take care,

Dawn
 
The book is great reading for anyone! It will challenge the way you think in relationships, with bosses, co-workers anyone! I wish I had it when I was still teaching! I like your balloon analogy! If they are full of hot air, and you don't fall for their ploys, they become deflated and move on to find someone who will.


Oh and by the way, it has helped me deal with my husband, my friends, and well meaning but misguided people when they want to know, "Why is PT taking so long?" :happydance:
 
Interesting analogy. So, my thought, because I do get upset, is to avoid interaction. Not ignore her, because that would be juvenile, but to minimise contact. (I'm also not thrilled with many of the others in the department who also behaved in an unprofessional and unkind way. Hornets nest). Thanks to you both.

And now, we should focus on the joy of the season, and maybe even knees!
:bells:
 
Funny incident today, at least in retrospect.

I was searching for winter boots and the only way to do that was to clean the hall closet. Naturally, I sat on the polished wood floor to do this. Once I finally found a matching pair of boots, all I had to do was get up. Hah! My leg muscles were tired by then from being extended for a long period. (Closet hadn't been sorted through in years) I was wearing socks, and did I mention I was sitting on a wood floor? My usual way of getting up wasn't working because of the tired and sore muscles. I tried kneeling. Ouch!!! Finally I somehow got myself up...sort of. My legs started sliding in opposite directions on that slippery floor. I almost did the splits! So I had to kneel with a plop to prevent that. Then a butt slide to a carpeted area, where the whole thing was much easier. I feel very old. And uncoordinated.
 
I know if you read that previous post, the reason will seem obvious. Nonetheless...

I stayed overnight at my brother's house on Christmas Eve. His house has about 20 steps to the door, all of varying heights and irregularly spaced. I went up pretty well, for me. We went to church that night and I actually went down best in years. Not only did I not need someone by my side, I did not use my cane AND I went down all but the steepest of them in a normal manner! :) although I've been working at the stairs in my house, down remains a challenge.

I was a bit surprised and concerned to find that night that my August knee was hot. It's really given me very little trouble and seems rather after the fact for it to act up now. In the days since, it's been more swollen than in ages. The heat is gone, but it feels off somehow.

On the bright side, February knee's leg is starting to feel a bit better. Not a lot but a bit.
 
Congrats on the 20 steps to your brother's doorJudy! It is challenging when we do things that is not our every day life, however we do tend to meet those challenges and go forward! I think it feels more swollen because you haven't done those stairs in awhile and therefore your muscles aren't used to it, because that's exactly what I felt when we spent a week at our son's house and he had lots of stairs to get to the bedrooms and by the time I got up there I was exhausted! By the end of the week stay my muscles were screaming!
 
Yep, the muscles complain when they are overworked! I was telling Katie that I was having a dull ache in my knee area. She asked me to point it out, and then said "Sonja, that is the muscle that we have been working on!" She said, it had been "dead" for so long I hadn't noticed, and now that it is starting to respond, it is "talking" to me! :happydance:
 
You're doing great. 20 stairs-wow! And I had the same experience trying to get off the floor yesterday and out of the bathtub today. It makes for a great comedy routine, lucky no one is watching. My doc said the knee will be hotter for some time. Go August! Go February! :dancy:
 
Hi Judy,

Great stories! So happy for you that these small challenges are being overcome. Even though you pay the price after, it's good to get in front of hurdles.

My plan today is a massive house cleaning. I really need to get into the cabinet under my sink and the only way to do it is on the floor which is slippery tile. My plan is to have a very low stool to sit on so I don't have to become a contortionist to get back up! Should be interesting, will think fondly of you and your boot search!

Here's wishing you a very happy and healthy new year!

All the best,

Dawn
 
Hi Dawn,
Here's my advice for that slippery tile floor: do you have a small mat, even something like a bathmat, to put on the floor? I've tried sitting on a stool, and for me it just doesn't work to get the work done. Either way, good luck! (Maybe if I did a massive house cleaning once in a while, I wouldn't have had to spend so long searching for a boot! But my closet is now very very tidy.)
 
Yesterday I went to a local mall to exchange something. Within 20 minutes my hip was causing excruciating pain. Physio says it is related to the knee recovery for sure. Tomorrow she'll examine my gait more thoroughly, and yesterday she gave me some harder strengthening exercises, because I really have great range and flexibility now. :-) they're really hard, but obviously I need them! I sure hope they help!

And just to be unpredictable, I walked further today and had no problems at all.

Both times, knees themselves felt pretty good.
 
Ups and downs, it just keeps coming! I hope the exercises really help with the hip, I can imagine you are at bit frustrated.

Hang in there!

Dawn
 
Judy, my hip and hip flexors cause pain and seize up on me but I have found that the stronger I get and the more stretching I do the better it is getting. I don't know if we have the same issues with out hips but I just wanted to mention that. Happy New Year my friend! I hope 2013 is a wonderful year for you. :kittykiss: :friends:
 
Always nice to know I'm not alone. I'm going to look up hip flexors.

I feel reasonably confident about my knees when I go back to work, but I'm really feeling the hip will do me in. And, to be quite honest, I think I'd feel a bit embarrassed to have been off so long and go back unable to do any more than before due to that hip thing.

But did I mention I hit the sales on Boxing Day so at least I feel my wardrobe is ready for work? And I found a lot of forgotten but nice shoes when I cleaned that closet the other day.
 
Judy,

I cleaned closets yesterday. I was able to find three bags full of nice clothing to donate to our local shelter, plus my sister will be getting some really nice shoes and sweaters in the mail. I have a bad habit of accumulating clothes in hopes of getting into them someday. Not anymore though, deciding to be more se,ect with what I buy.

Glad you found some treasures! And I hope the hip issue resolves soon!

Have a great day!

Dawn
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom