Guest viewing is limited

TKR Woohoo! Now I've got two!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was a kid, sitting cross-legged on the floor, my mother would warn me it was bad for my knees. But it was just so comfortable I ignored her. Of course, she seems to have been proven right. And the past couple of years I could not possibly bend my poor knees enough to sit that way.

Today at physio, I was a bit bored, so I thought, what the heck, and gave it a try.

I can sit cross-legged! There's some "soft tissue" in the way, but the knees can do it. Okay, it hurt, but I can do it. The PT was really impressed. And my extension is now 0 on both legs :xmasgrin:

No hip pain at all today. Felt the best I have in years, probably. :xmasdance: ......

Until I saw a different OS, who operated on my wrist 17 months ago and thinks I likely need more surgery. :sigh:
 
Such good news on the knees and hips! Congrats! I would love to be able to sit Indian style but have no courage to try just yet. I hope there is no more surgery for you for a while!

Be well,

Dawn
 
Coolbeans on sitting like you did. I don't think I could do that yet. My family doc and I were talking yesterday, and he told me no more surgeries for you for awhile, and I said never if I have any say:) Hugs!
 
Yep, I definitely need more wrist surgery. At least I know I'm not a hypochondriac. I need to see the hand super-specialist after the holidays some time for further details, but it doesn't sound fun. Sigh.

Has anyone else noticed that so many of the people on here seem to have a disproportionate, or unfair, number of things wrong with them? The bad knees seem to be just part of a bigger picture.
 
Well I did try the cross leg position but no chance. Perhaps a little too early yet for me. I always used to sit like that also as a child. Is it arthritis in your wrists. Some of my fingers have become swollen and quite sore to touch. Last time I asked my doctor about it he said it wasnt osteo arthritis like in my knees it was a viral kind. I didnt know there was such a thing. My husband has carpel tunnel because he works with a lot of tools. Becoming very painful for him but he wont wear the straps the doctor gave him. Said they make it worse.
 
Well, I seem to be doing that darned recovery polka Dawn (dhare63) was talking about. I was doing some needlework for a while tonight. Made sure to move a bit, switch legs up and down. But I finally had to stop because the pain in my February knee became so intense. It's been a good while since I've felt teary from pain, but it hit tonight. Icing it now, took two Tylenol xs. C'mon, knee! For crying out loud it's been TEN months. Enough of this nonsense. My August knee is behaving itself, at least.
 
Is it arthritis in your wrists?
Thanks for asking, Patricia. It's a very weird thing in my left wrist. Almost two years ago I was using a lint roller, the kind with sticky paper that you peel off when its sticky is gone. Well, as I was peeling, there was a loud snap from my wrist and a whole lot of pain. Turns out I had shredded a couple of ligaments. it took quite a while to get the tests done and be diagnosed (I'm told it was as severe as if I'd fallen off a motorcycle at 100mph). Seventeen months ago I had ligament reconstruction on one side of the wrist and debridement on the other side. Five incisions and over 50 staples. Well, it seems the ligament reconstruction has failed. So as the pain from that often out-ouches my knees, even immediately post-op, I need to get that fixed somehow. If they can.
There's that cloud knitter4444 talked about, eh? But it could always be worse, I guess.
 
Yep, I definitely need more wrist surgery. At least I know I'm not a hypochondriac. I need to see the hand super-specialist after the holidays some time for further details, but it doesn't sound fun. Sigh.

Has anyone else noticed that so many of the people on here seem to have a disproportionate, or unfair, number of things wrong with them? The bad knees seem to be just part of a bigger picture.

Yes Judy, I have noticed that we have more things go wrong, especially after we've had our knees taken care of! I'm thinking that once we have our knees taken care of our focus shifts to other parts of our bodies that have been deteriorating like our necks, hands, backs and feet! We start to feel like we are falling apart, however I think it's that now that we have one thing fixed, we want it all fixed!

I so feel for you with your wrist and your LTKR acting up! Pain is not something any of us want for the holidays! I hope you get relief soon so you can move on.

By the way I love your new avatar!
 
Thanks, Jacky.
Must tell a tale about cute but useless cat (that's not him in the picture). Had my book club here last night. At one point he was perched on an empty chair, following each speaker intently, looking for all the world as if he were about to join in. Cracked me up. :xmaskitty:
 
That's what's beautiful about cats, they seem like they belong until they've had enough of us! :heehee: They are so smart!
 
I think that since I got the knee pain taken care of, I am now feeling all the other achey areas I had been ignoring since the knee was the worst. I have a frozen shoulder that likes to give me grief every so often. I think I am even avoiding going to the doc about it, scared more surgery would be required. Hugs!
 
Hi.
Saw the OS today. Very pleased with my progress. He was impressed that I could sit cross legged, but also bemused, wondered what on earth led me to even try. He thinks the problems I'm having are more to do with the back/spine than joints. Maybe nerves too. I'm not totally surprised, as the chiropractor is helping somewhat. Hopefully it will soon help much more.

We also figured it was time I deal with work. The return date will be about five months post-op. a year since I've been at work. As many of you know, there have been serious issues with how I've been treated at work and I'm not eager to go back to where I was. Work yes, place not so much. Still, I was surprised to find my hands trembling and my voice quivering as the doctor and I discussed the return. He was filling out a form about accommodations I'll need and I asked him to write "grown-ups must be nice to Judy." The students I can cope with.

So I'm feeling a bit blue. Okay, a lot blue. As in, I wonder how soon I can get my wrist done and how much time I can get off for that. Not good. I need to think positive thoughts, avoid worst case scenarios, and stop catatrophizing. Sigh.
 
Oh Judy, I'm sorry you're feeling down. You know how it is, up down, up down. The good thing is...it will change. I broke my wrist in a bike accident, pins, plates, tHe whole nine yards. Maybe you will be like me and have it completely fixed this time. That was 1994 and it really doesn't bother me. Hey, I like the way you named your knees, February and August is it? :happydance:
 
(((Hugs))))

Hang in there, one day at a time. I know it's been a really tender subject about your treatment at work. Is there anyone at work that can act as an ombudsman, who can help with the kind of hostile environment you have been dealing with?

Always remember that the people who are treating you badly are the problem. You did nothing to deserve it. But you can't change them, and no amount of worrying will overcome that simple truth. Stay above it all, be professional and true to your values. It is hard to do but you will be stronger in the end. You are a kind, caring, compassionate educator. You are smart and professional. These things an never be taken from you.

So, keep us posted and I will hope that the blues slip past you soon!

Be well and good news on the knees!

Dawn
 
Hi Randi...I've just been calling the knees by when I had them done, but I like the idea of making those their official names. I'm not overly worried about the wrist. No, not true. It's just I'm more worried about work.

Dawn, you are so sweet. I intend to take the high road. Unfortunately, that will likely mean avoidance of my departmental "colleagues" to a large extent. Actually, one is a dear friend, but she's been getting treated pretty shabbily too. In a way I'm lucky that a couple of the courses I teach are stand-alone, in that I'm the only one who teaches them, hence no one to interfere and give me grief. I believe there will be a meeting before I return with me, the new principal, union rep (good), HR person (good), and department head (boo, hiss).

The good news is that I hadn't even thought about my knees this morning until now.

Life is such a balancing act.
 
Glad you have a union rep. I'm glad you had a good report from the OS and he wrote you an accommodation plan. :console2:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom