Guest viewing is limited

TKR Woohoo! Now I've got two!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Bonesmart.org] Woohoo!  Now I've got two!!
about your brother---so worrisome, I know. Maybe a wake-up call for him. Sure hope you get some relief with your hip. If it ain't one thing is another and another and another! Take care. I care.
[Bonesmart.org] Woohoo!  Now I've got two!!
 
Question:
I broke a tooth today. Ironically, I had a dentist appointment anyway. I've got a temporary crown on it now, but it was exposed for about six hours. I took antibiotics before seeing the dentist.

Do I need to be worried about infection? All sorts of scenarios went through my mind, from this just being an annoyance, to bacteria scuba diving towards my new knees and attacking them full force. :yikes:

Words of wisdom would be most appreciated.
Thanks.
 
By the way, thank you to all who expressed concern about my brother. We still don't have any definitive answers. And he is not a good communicator, nor is his wife, so I feel stranded without information, and imagine the worst.
 
Awe Judy, it is so hard when family members don't communicate what is going on in their lives, like they are alone! I've always told my kids and my sisters, if you don't share with me what goes on in your lives, how do you expect me to share what goes on in my life? We can only wait until they are ready! :shrug:
As far as your tooth infection is concerned, I would think it would be alright, especially since you took antibiotics before seeing your dentist! Try and relax! :friends:
 
They told me not to have any dental work before the 3 month mark. Well, 3 months to the day I had to get a root canal because I too, like you, broke a tooth.
I have had 2 subsequent visits since and infection is not an issue.
I have to take 8....that's right,8!! amoxyllin pills 1 hr prior to receiving treatment.
I will have to do this for the rest of my life according to my dentist.
On the humorous side, I told him I didn't need breakfast that morning as all those pills were a meal in itself!!

Hope all is well with you, my friend!
 
Wow, I "only" have to take four giant amoxicillin pills before treatment, but yesterday I had to do that twice, as I first had my regularly scheduled check-up, then the temporary crown fitting a couple of hours later.

My knees are feeling pretty good these days. But I looked in the mirror the other day - something I try to avoid - and saw how swollen the one leg still is, after almost a year. That's the side that continues to nag at me, and the side with the problematic hip. The other knee and leg feel just great, though I continue to work on building strength.

My GP suspects a bone spur on the hip; X-ray report is pending. Meanwhile was at the chiropractor today, and asked if he still thought he could fix my hip. He said he didn't just think so, he was absolutely positive. Yay. Also talked about next steps and such. Felt better after that, both psychologically and physically: the pain was much diminished after today's treatment. Yay again
 
Good news Judy! I hope the chiro can make a difference in the hip pain!

Keep up the good work and let us know how you are doing!

Be well,

Dawn
 
Judy, sounds like things are going well. I hope the chiro can help your hip. I continue to have hip and hip flexor issues but they may slowly be improving. Take care!
 
Hadn't realized how long since I've posted. I guess that means things are going more smoothly.

Bad stuff: the leg (thigh) with the almost-one-year-old knee continues to swell a lot, which concerns me. The hip is still a pain in the butt (hah!)

Good stuff: knees almost never hurt, just a few positions that remain difficult. I knelt the other day without thinking about what I was doing. X-rays show no bone spur on the hip, and even better, no signs of bone degeneration. Chiropractor may be helping with the hip, though it's been too icy to try to take much of a walk the last few days. I find I walk faster and with more assurance than in years. When I'm out with friends, it's nice to tell them they needn't worry about dropping me at the door of our destination, that I can walk with them from the parking spot,

Good and lousy stuff: I return to work at the end of next week. Pleasantly surprised by how the upper levels (i.e. outside of my school) will support and help, such as getting me a new, padded chair. However, the return to work meeting was not very pleasant. My absolute favourite course has been given to someone else. I had prepared a list of things I needed in place for the return (like the return of my personal belongings and files) and the admin couldn't understand why I was raising them, so I had to recount some of the unpleasantness of the past year. I left out huge chunks because I didn't want to seem too much the whiner. I was told afterwards that both HR and the union have deemed my school and particularly my department as a "hostile work environment." No wonder: they way I am being treated is like royalty compared to another teacher who's been away as long as I have. If only I didn't need the income, I'd quit and spend my time travelling, volunteering, and doing pleasant things.

Well. That turned into a rant. But knees are good.
 
Hi Judy,

Been wondering how you are, so it's great to hear from you! It's great to hear that the knees and hip are behaving, good for you! It can only improve from here!

So sorry to hear you are going back to the lions den. I do hope that the union and hr can come together to fix the hostile environment. I would think they can see a liability issue if they don't take steps to resolve things. It's not going to be any fun at first but I hope you find your groove to tolerate the ****. Try to stay above it and document issues as they happen. Then if needed, you have what is needed to site continuing problems.

Please keep us posted even though the knees are better. It's always great to hear from old friends!

Take care,

Dawn
 
Hi Judy, nice to hear from you again! I'm glad to hear that you didn't have any bone spur in your hip and no signs of bone degeneration, all great stuff!:yay:

I hope the swelling goes down, on your thigh.

Your return to work seems to be positive and they realized that they have a "hostile work environment" that they need to work on! I'm sorry you lost your favorite course, not fair! :(

I am glad to hear that your knees are doing good, that's a plus!:thumb:

Stay well and keep warm!
 
Wish me luck. Back to work tomorrow. Confident knees will be good. Also sure hip will be bad. Now keeping a journal of incidents of workplace bullying by my department head; she's already started. I know the theories of how to handle myself. But can I stay calm and pleasant? It will be a test, for sure. The teaching part of the job starts Monday, and at least that part should be good to get back to.
:hairpulling:
 
Good luck tomorrow Judy! I wish you well and I know you ARE above that bully, and yes, I think you can stay calm and pleasant! Once the bully starts her nastiness, just excuse yourself and say, "I'm sorry I need to go to the bathroom!" And go! No one can stop you from going to the bathroom! Good luck kiddo!
 
Good luck Judy! I know you will rise about it...your determination in working through recovery will give you all the strength you need to deal with a bully. Keep track and stay strong, you can do it!

I'm with you in spirit!

Best,

Dawn
 
I made it! Walked, tackled stairs many times, moved desks....pain free. Even hip was good right to the end of the over-long day. :happydance:

Some issues with colleagues, as expected. Kept calm, cool, and collected, much to my surprise. Thanks for your support, everyone. The one teacher who gave me some grief will cover one of my classes for the first month til I return to full time. It came out in the end that she's been lead to believe her contract will be longer, that I will not actually be back full time. More to write in my journal of nastiness and backstabbing by admin. Fun times.

Will have actual classes starting Monday. Actual fun times.
 
Great report Judy! Glad the body cooperated, that must have been a pleasant outcome!!

I believe in Karma, I bet you do too...what goes around, comes around, just have faith!!

Be well and stay in touch!

Dawn
 
Oh my, I can't believe how long it's been since I've been on here! Things are going well. My left knee turned a year old last week. We celebrated by having no pain. :)

Since going back to work, (is it really less than two weeks?) I have realized the depth of my gratitude for my new knees. I can do my job without constant pain for the first time in eons. I can stand at the front of the class for almost a whole period (76 minutes), I can go up and down endless hallways, I can climb staircases to parts of the building I haven't been in a very long time. I come home and still have no knee pain. My stamina is slowly returning, too. After nearly dropping from exhaustion the first day, I get by without even thinking of a nap when I get home. Now, I'm still working at 2/3 a full schedule. Two more weeks then full-time.

My nemesis (aka department head) asked me today how my knees are coping. When I said they were "great, fantastic, amazing" I am sure I detected a wee note of disappointment: it means her little minion won't get my job after all.

So tomorrow off to the hand surgeon. Sigh. And I spent Saturday in emerg with what they call flank pain as bad or maybe worse than immediately post-TKR, and the doctors are still trying to figure that out, though thankfully it has mostly subsided in the days since.

But the knees, they're a miracle.

Hope you are all making good progress too!
:flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom