TKR Woohoo! Now I've got two!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Judy, I will tell you what I have learned about hip flexors from my own struggles, but it is by no means comprehensive and I don't know all the medical/PT jargon. As my knees degraded and I walked less and sat more, my hip flexors tightened and weakened. In general, walking and stairs are the best exercise for hip flexors. Not stairs per se, but just doing some inclines up and down plus a lot of walking. For most people whose knees are OK, some easy fitness walking and the day to day walking of life and going up and down the stairs a few times is usually enough to keep your hip flexors going. But for those of us who stopped walking much they can become an issue and I think it tends to be worse if one carries excess weight. The hip flexor connects into the soas muscle which runs up from the hip flexor through the abdomen and then under the breast veers off to the side and connects with a muscle in the back whose name I forget. It is hard to explain in words. Anyway, a lot of sitting weakens the hip flexor and soas and makes them tight and contract. Their are ways to get them to stretch, lie on your bed with your legs hanging off (face up), lie on a bolster so that your chest and stomach open up (that is a restorative yoga pose but I forget the name). But getting the hip flexor stronger is more important I think. One exercise is sit on your bed or the floor with your back against the wall and try and raise your leg. It will be very hard and it will only move an inch or so but this is normal. Initially it may not move at all until you get the hip flexors to fire.

I also have problems with my hip because of the arthritis in it too and I am hoping that losing more weight will really help that to be more comfortable.

I know what you mean about it being embarassassing that you return to work and are not able to do more as I sometimes feel the same way. First, I think you are probably being too hard on yourself. This is a process and it will get better all the time. Your PT sounds spot on as this whole thing with my hip flexors gets better and better as more time goes by. It just does not happen fast enough!
 
I have been having hip pain too. But mine doesn't hit when I am walking, but when I am sleeping. I wake up multiple times a night with a nerve like pain in my hip. I am sure my gait has something to do with it. At least thats what I am hoping:)
 
Judy, I am sorry you are weepy. Some days are just like that. Maybe post holiday blues? Big hug! :kittykiss: :kittykiss:
 
Judy, sorry to hear the blues have bitten you today. You've got to bite them back! Watch a funny movie or read as good book. 50 Shades of Grey ought to do it! Lol! I hope they go away quickly for you! ((Hugs!)) :console2:
 
So sorry you're feeling blue----I'm sending you some laughs to cheer you up!

[Bonesmart.org] Woohoo!  Now I've got two!!
[Bonesmart.org] Woohoo!  Now I've got two!!
[Bonesmart.org] Woohoo!  Now I've got two!!
[Bonesmart.org] Woohoo!  Now I've got two!!
[Bonesmart.org] Woohoo!  Now I've got two!!
Yep, that smile looks good on you.
 
Judy, maybe I posted this before, but try www.damnyouautocorrect.com

It is a website dedicated the most hysterical auto corrections that have happened on an iPhone or iPad, etc. I know it's not always easy to kick the blues, but it could be a start. I always laugh until I cry when I go there!

Be well and stay warm. It's so cold here!

Dawn
 
They are totally inappropriate and completely hysterical! I can always count on the site for a gut busting laugh! It's happened to me a couple of times where my kids are like, what did you mean by that....then I realize the autocorrect sent them something that was, lets just say not Mom-like!

I have been down a bit as well. Feeling overwhelmed by my work goals and not sure how I will get where I need to be. I also have to hire a junior planner to join my team and am having a hard time finding anyone. I do know that when I dwell too long on these things, I get stuck in "analysis paralysis". I was thinking about it last night and realize I have to just stop and look at the next few days, not the next few months, then my brain starts to get me engaged in a productive way.

Do take care and let the laughter roll on!

Best,

Dawn
 
Just a wee update. Bit of good, bit of not so much.
Lovely winter's day yesterday, so I set out for a walk. Knees were great, but the hip started seizing before I got very far, and by the end I could only go a few steps before having to stop and stretch the hip/back and release a bit of the pain. It just irks me that the knees are finally so good but I still can't go for a walk!

Today I went to church and for the first time since I've been going to this particular one, I went in, rose and walked for all parts of the service. At one point, I thought, "something's different..." before realizing I was doing this all without a cane, without limping, without hanging on. I even practiced my balance exercise of standing on one foot as I stood for the hymns. I didn't try it on tiptoe though!

I like the new avatars, Jacky48 and bottomshollow! Thanks to all for your support when I'm feeling down.
 
Congrats to you! That is great news! Isn't it great when you do something without thinking about it? :goodpost:

Sorry that your hips are bothering you and slowing you down now. Hopefully you can get that figured out and fixed soon.
 
Judy, I know what you mean about finally the knees feel good but the hips and back are outta whack! I get the same thing too, I could be walking fine and BAM there goes the lower back and hip, left side for me mostly. I'm hoping that as time goes along and the body realigns itself more it will all come in check, been walking so wonkie for so long that I suppose the rest of me has to play catch up! :shrug: let's hope that's the case for you as well, and soon we won't get that interruption in our walk!

I like your balancing exercise, I hadn't thought to do that, and now I will while I'm standing at the counter or even the stove while I'm cooking! Thanks for the idea! :friends:
 
Hey Jacky, it's the left side for me too.

Today the chiropractor says he thinks it's the sacroiliac, and when I did a bit of research, that sure sounds like it. He also said he could "fix it." Told him he'd be my hero if he does.

One of the things I read said the problem with the sacroiliac can indeed be caused by a "wonky" gait, and I guess with our new and improved way of walking, the rest of us needs time to adjust. Both chiro and physio said in my case it was all exacerbated by having to use the cane in the wrong hand, throwing things off even more. (Bad wrist, see above.). Physio is also trying to get me to elongate my stride. I see my GP next week and hopefully she'll concur with all this. Feeling much more hopeful.

On another note, worried about my brother. He may have had a small stroke. He's only 55. Please keep him in your thoughts. Thanks
 
Hi Judy,

Glad to hear you are getting somewhere with your hip issue. Once you know what you're dealing with its much easier to treat. You are on a good path and I am hopeful everything will start to improve quickly!

So sorry to hear about your brother. Hopefully it's a warning sign and he can change his lifestyle to prevent more of these in the future. Warm thoughts are on their way to you and family.

Please take care and keep us posted!

Dawn
 
Judy sorry to hear about your brother, I will for sure keep him in my prayers. I am having the hip and low back pain too, and I am pretty sure mine is sciatica too. Definetly from my wonky gait!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom