Bilateral TKR weak muscles<

hello..sorry for not answering questions properly..I am doing exercises only once...no house work...or shopping...i have maids..living in India...but I do go out ...to school twice...i dont drive...there are 4 small steps for my office...can I try stairs now..gosh...i need to use ice....i'll start right away....my doc gave me brufen...dont know other medicines...i will take them thrice...is it ok.

i am doing all exercises 20 counts..spot walking holding on to walker..50 counts...squatting...holding walker 20 counts..except passive knee bends....painful..only do it 7 times..
 
Hi @pain free. Do your exercises as long as there is no pain. Make sure you still ice it. Still important to do. 6 weeks is still early in recovery.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
hello...yesterday I walked a lot without the cane..having a lot of pain today...i think cane is needed for sometime.
 
It is easy to over do it, sounds like you need to use your cane all the time for now. You are early in recovery and still need to follow the mantras Rest, Ice, Elevate, and Medicate on schedule.
 
No rush to be off the cane. You've learned you still need it and that's ok.
 
Yep. Keep using the cane for now. Going to have your good days and your not so good days.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
thanks all...I am all the time worried...is it working for me...my knee is bending 90%.at 1 month. am walking more now...but walk is slow...just like before...but i do feel tall...walking without the bend...had a terrible mishap...lost my husband a week back...am recovering from it...I have to make this surgery work...it was his wish also.
I am so sorry for your husband's passing! My prayers to you and your family. Are you icing and elevating at all? Elevating means "toes are higher than your nose". Elevate by raising your heels higher than your heart. Also, recliners are bad. Nothing should be behind your knees.

Robyn
 
thank you for your encouraging words. at 5 weeks I am still limping and waddling. i think i need to walk a lot more. my calf muscles are weak and pain a lot. my ROm of left leg is 90 and right is 100.is it ok?

I only had one knee done on Sept. 8, 2014 and I completely understand your desire to walk without a limp, but I still have a little limp, especially if I overdo it. You're only at 5 weeks and you had both knees done. It's quite possible you will still have a limp in January. This recover is very, very, slow. Patience wins this race.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@pain free When is the next time you can see your surgeon? You may need to request a prescription for a narcotic-type painkiller. Ibuprofen may be too mild for your pain. I'm a month ahead of you in recovery and I take Naproxen 500mg. at 6am and 6pm, then a Nucynta 50mg. before bed so I can sleep. Sometimes, though, depending on what I did the day before, I may have to take a Percocet or a Norco.

Please, follow your instincts on the use of the cane and doing stairs. I live in a two-story home so right from the very beginning I had no choice but to do them. Now, 12 weeks later, my knee is just starting to be able to do the stairs with lots less pain than the last 12 weeks.

Robyn
 
Hi Pain free,
Icing and rest works, glad to hear you are feeling better.
Recovery is a marathon, not a sprint.
The hardest work of recovery is resting, icing, elevating, and medicating when you really want to be more active.
 
@pain free Glad to hear you're feeling better. Keep elevating and icing and you'll soon see the swelling will go down which causes your pain to decrease. I'm also realizing the swelling is like a balloon, with air or water being let in and let out throughout the course of a day.
 
thanks Pumpkin...i am getting frustrated..life was so smooth...husband was taking care of every thing...now i have to handle business problems,loans and other headaches and my legs are taking time....oh I wish i was more active and mobile...but I have to be patient....
 
It is hard when you have to take care of everything all of a sudden, on top of having BKR's to recover from at the same time.
You have had a big loss with the passing of your husband, be kind to yourself and heal.
 
@pain free I agree with @pumpkin You are forced to deal with so many new things in your life, plus trying to recover from a difficult surgery. I cannot imagine losing my husband in the middle of my recovery. Do you have any children nearby that can help you? Is there a business partner who can carry on by themselves for a little while until you get back on your feet - no pun intended.

Robyn
 
my daughter was here for a month..and i have handed over the business to someone...feeling better now.
 
Glad you have had help, and someone taking care of the business. That must be a load off your shoulders.
How are your knees?
 
Good to hear you are feeling better, @pain free
So much happening it's good that you have had family staying with you.
Please continue to take it easy and rest that knee.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom