Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR weak muscles<

Congratulations on your new knee. It sounds like you are doing just fine.

You may notice that I have merged your two recovery threads. We like to keep our members' recovery posts all in a single thread. That way it's easy for us to go back and read your history before responding to a question or concern. In addition, the thread becomes a journal of your recovery for those who come along later and want to read about you. So, please post in this thread from now on when you want to give an update or ask a question. If you decide you'd like a different thread title at any point, you can change it by using the Thread Tools button at the top right of your screen or just post what you want here and we'll get it changed for you.
 
@pain free - hope you're doing well. I am sure the 5-hour car ride home after a surgery like this was not easy, but it must feel wonderful to be at home recovering!
 
today I walked too much....i am afraid of the night now. my father stays nest door. went there by car but came back walking with the walker....
 
@pain free

It is still early in your recovery and sometimes even little extras can cause discomfort.
Ice, rest and elevate and take your pain medication throughout the day and night.

Take care,
Cathie
 
Don't hurry to walk with a stick (cane). Make the transition only if you are walking well with good full strides with a walker. No matter what walking aid you're using you should never be limping. Use whatever support you need to walk heel to toe with normal strides.
 
I know you are doing good but do remember to go show and smell the Roses. Take care Tashia
 
@pain free


All surgeons differ with post-op protocols.

My OS prescribes walking with two canes from day one post-op for 6 weeks.

At the six week check up, told to walk with one cane when outside of the house, but as much as possible when in the house not to use the cane.

I'm now 13/14 weeks post-op and walking without any cane. But, I do take it with me if going into the centre of the city or any busy area, so that people will give me room and consideration as I am still walking slowly.

At 14 days post-op, you would still need support when walking and it would seem too early to be using just one cane.

It is a slow process, but it does get better.

Take care,
Cathie
 
Dear Pain Free, I read a ton of people's recovery threads on BoneSmart. It may be difficult for you to do from India, but it helped me.

You said you were frightened at night, and this knee replacement recovery is a scary business. If you are able, read about different recoveries.

When I'd get a pain, or a symptom, I was able to say, "Oh, I read about that. It's normal."
 
hello...i am scared to walk with a stick actually..i have 2 dogs..:doggie:one of them is a pup....but it sure is a slow process...i had decided i would be up and about soon....but oh no...my legs think different....physio is gd...i enjoy it...but I am so slow....walking with a walker is giving me a back ache....physio said no wheels...this walker is good exercise....:unsure:
 
@pain free Use whatever ambulation method you are comfortable with. If the cane scares you..don't do it yet. There is no rush. I too thought I could use my 'willpower' and tolerate pain to get better faster. Turns out, this recovery doesn't work that way. Don't be hard on yourself ... You will progress in recovery of you take care of you. You are never alone ... You are our knee friend on BoneSmart!
 
@pain free

You must always use what you feel comfortable and secure with.
It is very early days and your walker will give you good support when walking.

Walking with two dogs at any stage can be challenging. Be careful when walking with them.

Take care,
Cathie
 
I had my son's golden doodle all day. He doesn't know his own strength. I would bounce the walker when he came near, making a big racket. I wanted him afraid of it, so he'd stay clear. Didn't work completely, but it helped.
 
Hi @pain free. Gotta use what makes you comfortable and stable. I'm almost 5wks from tkr and still have to use one crutch. I like it and I'm stable with it. Plus I'm not supposed to walk without it too.
Recovery is a slow process. There are days when you don't feel like you did very well and then the next day amazed at how great we did. Slow and steady!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
hello....how long do we take pain medicines....i am taking them 4 hrly....it feels like my knees are tied with a rope...i take a dose at night also...here my prescription says only for 2 weeks...I am almost 3 weeks out...and as the physio is getting tougher pain is no less....
 
Hi @pain free
We are all different with how long we need our meds. You are still very early in your recovery and still needing them a lot more. I would call your doctor and explain the pain that you are still in and see what they say. I'm 5 wks out and take it at night before bed. That is when my pain is the worst. Let us know what happens.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @pain free
I so get it with being in pain!! As I said before talk to your OS. Explain the amount of pain you are in. As the pain lessens you will start backing off of the meds. Right now you are still in the tough stage of recovery. Don't lose hope, it will be fine. Let me know how you make out.
Dana


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
hello...my doc said stop physio....use heating pad...my knees are throbbing...physio is overdoing it..its 3 weeks now...surely he doesnt expect me to run soon...i scream while exercising...i took my video while walking with a cane...i am limping...feeling low...
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom