Bilateral TKR weak muscles<

I don't know about the stockings, I wore them for awhile. I asked my doctor at six weeks if I could cross my legs and he said, "Yes." I am careful, though.

And again, I've been thinking about you. I am so very sorry about your husband. My husband is eight years older than I am and I worry. We all do.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
oh u do cross your legs...thats good news...earlier I used to sleep on my stomach a lot..but now its not so comfortable..doc said i can....my physio said...never to cross my legs....but thats odd...so even I am trying...my doc said ask ur physio...it is a slow process isnt it...how much did u walk at 1 month...right now i dont have a proper routine...my grandchildren are here...and people keep coming...
 
I don't think you are able focus on your knee right now.

I'd suggest doing what they do in the UK, go for a walk in the morning, and a walk in the afternoon/evening.

Start small and work up to a longer walk. Take your grandchildren with you. They will make you smile.
 
They who take small thought out steps will reach their goal they who try to take giant strides will slip on lifes banan skins. Got the t shirt

Legin THR Sep 14
 
I never asked about some of this stuff but I got no special restrictions from my OS. As far as activities etc. his only advice was not to do jumping (and it's not like I was going to take up a basketball or long jumping career :heehee: ). I think the leg crossing restriction is something they give to total hip patients but I'm not sure why not for knees. Though it is not comfortable at first so I didn't try it until quite a ways in.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
yesterday i walked a lot. felt better. though my limp has not gone. but i am improving thank God. suddenly I have developed gout pain..under my foot...last 15 days I have neglected my diet....but now i will have more fruits and vegetables..should help me...now no one to talk to...though he was the healthy one...and i always had problems. now I have to be careful...there is no one to take care of me.
 
dear pain free, I'm so sorry for your loss. I had my tkr on Oct 3 and only recently am improving. I walk w/o a cane but w. a limp. knee still swollen, but better and still take my pain meds. I know how you feel about being alone. I am recently separated after 32 years of marriage and have no family to help me. With the isolation and pain, I was so depressed. Getting my knee fixed is part of the plan to get more mobile, so that I can get a job and perhaps meet new people. A few friends and a niece in law, have dropped by to bring food occasionally, but basically I'm on my own, so I kinda know how you feel. I'm trying very hard to keep faith in God and he has not forgotten me. I cry almost every day and I know I have to move on. If you were near me, I would help you because I appreciate every little kindness these days. I pray that we both recover and find joy and peace soon.
 
Pain free,
I am just catching up on your thread, I am so sorry about THR loss of your husband. Wishing you all the best as you move forward.


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
LTKR Sept 13 2011
Revision April 15 2014
 
thank you for your encouraging words. at 5 weeks I am still limping and waddling. i think i need to walk a lot more. my calf muscles are weak and pain a lot. my ROm of left leg is 90 and right is 100.is it ok?
 
ROM is great at 5 weeks. Follow the Bonesmart mantras and you will be fine.



Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
LTKR Sept 13 2011
Revision April 15 2014
 
thanks dana and pumpkin...i was getting nervous...but my calf muscles are to stiff..when i walk more..they get more stiff and rom reduces...
 
@pain free
I am so very sorry for your loss. I cannot even imagine how devastating that must be.

Perhaps @Jamie can advise on exercising, the pain and the gout.
 
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. It must be making your recovery additionally burdensome.
I have to make this surgery work
It is a slow process and we cannot rush our knees.
No you don't MAKE this work, you ALLOW it to work. So your second comment is correct - you cannot rush things!
for how long do we use the stockings
I only wore mine for 4 days. If you are mobile and walking, you don't need them.
can i sleep on my stomach? my physio sys no...also can we cross our legs while sitting.
Well IF you can then there's no reason not to. So I have no idea why your physio should say you can't. That's just daft!
my physio said...never to cross my legs
Again, IF you can do it, then no reason why not to. Personally it took me months to do that but then my legs are very fat so it was probably more a question of bulk than anything!
how much did u walk at 1 month.
go for a walk in the morning, and a walk in the afternoon/evening
I wouldn't do that. Follow the routine in this article Activity progression for TKRs
at 5 weeks I am still limping and waddling. i think i need to walk a lot more
Absolutely not! That's not the way to overcome limping and waddling! Read the article I just left you.
my calf muscles are weak and pain a lot
Actually they are not weak, they are INJURED. Quite different.
my ROM of left leg is 90 and right is 100.is it ok?
That's fantastic for only 5 weeks. So stop worrying!
Hey, have you had both knees done? I mean both done at the same time? If not, when did you have the other one done?

You also said your knees are paining, so I'm going to ask you some questions and it would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....
1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery!
[Bonesmart.org] weak muscles<
)
Also don't forget to include other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how often are you icing your knee and for how long?

4. are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?

5. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

6. what kind of PT exercises and exercises at home are you doing? How much and how often? (and detailed details would be appreciated, please! **Reps, sets and sessions** and all that)

** If you're not familiar with this, it goes like so:
1 lift of your leg = 1 rep (repetition)
5 reps and then a brief rest = 1 set
5 sets and finishing = 1 session.
 
thanks...yes i did both knees same time...my pain level maybe 3....not painful actually..just uncomfortable..i have mostly soreness and stiffness...stiffness is more...as winter is setting in..i take brufen NSAID 400mg,paracetamol 650 mg..twice...
My physio comes...doing ankle pumps,leg raises,2 sets ..sideways...passive leg bends for ROM...sitting and raising legs..2 sets .spot walking...squatting(holding on to the walker)..1set
 
@pain free
I think the uncomfortable knee and stiffness is pretty normal at 5 weeks. I'm at 8 weeks and I still get stiff and sore. Weather changes don't help either.
Dana


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It would help if you answered my questions in the detail I requested.
But then, you don't HAVE to - but I cannot help you otherwise.
my pain level maybe 3....not painful actually..just uncomfortable..i have mostly soreness and stiffness...stiffness is more
Soreness and stiffness are also forms of pain as are burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching and swelling. They all need medicating.
i take brufen NSAID 400mg,paracetamol 650 mg..twice
Twice a day? That's no where near enough! Do you not have any prescription pain meds like Tramadol or codeine? Please read this article Pain management: importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart. If you don't medicate your pain properly, you will hinder your progress.
My physio comes...doing ankle pumps,leg raises,2 sets ..sideways...passive leg bends for ROM...sitting and raising legs..2 sets .spot walking...squatting
That's fine but I need details as I requested - how many times a day do you do them when the physio is NOT there? How many times do you do each exercise?
I am not elevating or icing now. as its almost 6 weeks.
Oh gosh - 6 weeks you need them most! And carry on doing it for at least 3 months.

You also never told me what you are doing in the way of house work, shopping and all that.
 
I cannot even imagine how difficult your life must be right now---the loss of your husband is devastating on top of major surgery too. I assume that you have household help and do not do any housework, which is really good.

At your stage of recovery, the knee and leg are both stiff. Also, I do not agree with taking ibuprophen and Tylenol (paracetomol) at the same time. I think you would be so much better off with Tramadol---which is a very mild synthetic opiod. I took it when I was at your stage of recovery---it afforded pain relief with a very small dose---50 mg. You can add Tylenol to it if you need extra relief. The stiffness you talk about is just another way that pain manifests itself.

Your rom is quite good, you don't have to worry about that.
 
You'll probably want to ice and elevate at least a couple of times a day. There's no time limit on this, your knee will tell you when you don't need it. It think I was icing at least once a day into 12 weeks.
I took walks at 6 weeks--once a day most days for starting with 5 minutes and then adding a couple minutes if the knee liked it-- b/c it felt good to be outside. I counted the walks as part of the exercise. I didn't walk if it felt like a "bad" day.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom