Bilateral TKR weak muscles<

@pain free Your doc said to use a heating pad? Really? Seems too early for heat. I'd ice it more. I'm sure you'll hear from an advisor who can help you there. As for needing pain meds -- at almost three weeks post-op of course you still need help with pain! Even though everyone is different, most of us need pain meds for quite a while. I took mine, by the clock, for at least six weeks. After that I still needed pain meds. They don't write scripts with refills, or at least my doc doesn't, but he's been quite willing to continue writing scripts for me. He says pain needs to controlled as uncontrolled pain inhibits recovery. Don't rush things. If you're limping too much when using your cane, use the walker. There's no hurry. Your knee is in charge. Your physio is too hard. There should be NO screaming in pain while doing physio. I completely understand this issue. My first PT was overly aggressive and I would leave in tears and in pain. Don't wait as long as I did to find a new one. It will make a huge difference in your life and in your revovery once you find a better physio. Your doc says to quit physio, temporarily I assume. You'll probably get back to physio at some point.

Don't lose heart! It will get better.

hello...almost 1 month now...walking with a cane...but knees get stiff...am not resting much....sometimes on recilner...physio is going on..will take it for 1 more month...legs still stiff.

do you mean you can't sleep at night? It's pretty normal to have difficulty for the first couple of months. I hope you're getting some good naps. :sleep:

My surgery was a full month before yours. I am so much better than I was a month ago. I'm not out of the woods, yet. But it takes a long, long time. Take it easy. You'll get there.

I thought a 3 hour car ride at almost 8 weeks was tough. I can not imagine 5 hours at just 7 days! I'm glad you got thru it. Hope you are doing well. -- Joni

thanks all...I am all the time worried...is it working for me...my knee is bending 90%.at 1 month. am walking more now...but walk is slow...just like before...but i do feel tall...walking without the bend...had a terrible mishap...lost my husband a week back...am recovering from it...I have to make this surgery work...it was his wish also.

I am so deeply sorry that you lost your husband.

Truly, sorry.

Hello Pain free,
First let me offer you my sympathy for the loss of your husband. I'm certain that grief and sorrow weighs on you and is a huge impediment to your recovery. I hope you have family and friends near you to support you through this awful time. I believe that recovery from your loss as well as your surgery must be lived through one day at a time. Don't lose hope if you have a setback, because it won't be a smooth transition. Every day is different but I truly believe your pain will gradually lessen from your loss and with time your knee will heal.

Please be patient with yourself and know you are not alone.

TerriM 10/28/13( RTKR)
10/14/14 (LTKR)

Hello pain free,

I was so sorry to hear your very sad news about your husband. It must make your recovery doubly difficult.

Sorry to hear your news its good you are using your recovery as its what he would want. It never gets easy but Im sure you have a zillion photos in your head of the good times. Take care

Legin THR Sep 14

thanks...yes its a difficult time...right now house is full of people...but once I am alone it will be bad...I hope I recover soon so I can be more active and be out more..I work in a school..i can now walk without the cane also...but my walk is slow....when did you all walk well...I am a bit impatient.

Im 9 weeks and have s numb foot so still walkimg odd tad like me anyway

Legin THR Sep 14

It varies from knee to knee. After my RTKR I didn't walk well until 10-12 weeks post surgery. This time , I'm 4 weeks post surgery and walk without a cane, but it's not quite perfect. Also, I can't walk very far without my leg swelling. I don't think you can hurry healing.

TerriM 10/28/13( RTKR)
10/14/14 (LTKR)

I'm so sorry about your loss. I think you're doing fine with the knee. Week by week you will notice improvement.

today again I have to travel on bad roads.for some hindu religious rites for my dear husband.

I now realise It is a slow process and we cannot rush our knees.

My sincere condolences on the loss of your dear husband.

My surgery was within a few days of yours and just today I started walking without the cane. My gait is still far from perfect. I find I walk better if I engage my quads a bit before starting- with a new exercise I learned.

Take care.

for how long do we use the stockings. I am happy with them..they give good support to muscles.can i sleep on my stomach? my physio sys no...also can we cross our legs while sitting.

@pain free
I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family.
I was able to take my stockings off around the 3rd or 4th week. I was happy to not have them. Not sure about sleeping on your tummy. You can try it to see if laying like that will hurt. I was excited to lay on my side after the first week. And I was trying to cross my legs at a couple weeks out. Hurt to much but I kept trying to till it stopped hurting. I'm almost 8 weeks out now.
Dana

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Mojo333
    Staff member since August 15, 2017

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Unique Mike