Guest viewing is limited

We can rebuild him. We have the technology

Me too:umm:
I hope this doesn't push my surgery date back, because I'm running out of stiff upper lip and having to supplement with single malt whisky, which not covered by insurance.
:heehee:
Can't drown this pain, tried...doesn't work.:nah:
Eat lots of iron rich foods and take a break from the numbing solutions.
They really don't help and you need your immune system cranking.
Behave...one week!
 
Me too:umm:
:heehee:
Can't drown this pain, tried...doesn't work.:nah:
Eat lots of iron rich foods and take a break from the numbing solutions.
They really don't help and you need your immune system cranking.
Behave...one week!

Yes Ma'am.
 
Good luck next week! Question did you PT say if you had to use a walker or were crutches an option? What all did they go over in your pre-op session? is that where you met PT and they went over everything?
 
My husband is convinced that Single Malt is a cure for anything and everything. I am sure he would be over the moon if he could get an Rx for a few nice bottles covered on our insurance! :cheers:
 
One tip, cut your toenails the day before surgery and say goodbye to your feet for a while.

I'm alresda there because of the pain and limited ROM. I won't have to taught the 90 degree rule, either!

Good luck next week! Question did you PT say if you had to use a walker or were crutches an option? What all did they go over in your pre-op session? is that where you met PT and they went over everything?

This was a meeting for a batch of us. They told us we'd be using a walker. My actual pre op is tomorrow (I hope).
 
My husband is convinced that Single Malt is a cure for anything and everything. I am sure he would be over the moon if he could get an Rx for a few nice bottles covered on our insurance! :cheers:

A man after my own heart!

Today's first victory: with the walker basket, I was able to bring LOML coffee in bed. This is a 30 year tradition for us, and I don't to miss any more days than I have to.
 
Blood work came back good!

Last night I was about as depressed as I could be, but things are turning around. The hospital thinks I'm going to pay them a fabulous sum tomorrow. I find their optimism touching. They might get "adequate", or even "impressive", but "fabulous" is for after the surgery!

Got my medical power of attorney and other ghoulish documents notarized. House is pretty much ready, lots of easy food on hand. I smoked a pork butt and put several pounds into vaccum bags and froze them. Mostly pre prepped meat so when I'm home alone I can eat like the lazy barbarian I am.

@Mojo333 I had steak and liver for breakfast! Planning on making chicken soup with beans for supper, with little or no alcohol.
 
Last edited:
I smoked a pork butt and put several pounds into vaccum bags and froze them. Mostly pre prepped meat so when I'm home alone I can eat like the lazy barbarian I am.

@Mojo333 I had steak and liver for breakfast! Planning on making chicken soup with beans for supper, with little or no alcohol
:)
I think you are going to be totally happy with this new hip, if you can get through the first two weeks of working out that these early days are temporary and frustrating, able to slow your roll when you begin to feel human again so you don't overdo to quickly, and remember this recovery time is an investment in your new forever hip.:yes:
Life is sweet now...I feel ten years (at least) younger :happydance:and it's amazing how your attitude improves when you lose the chronic pain and some decent sleep!:ok:

Great supper choice...and ooh, I love to smell a pork butt cooking.
You are going to do great...don't let the what ifs get your brain in a wad.
You have good mojo on your side and a great attitude.
Your sense of humor will come in really handy also!
 
Happy to see so many friends moving to the recovery area!

Thankful for the "like", and "agree" buttons, because I can't always come up with a coherent comment.

Pre-op today, followed by four days of fidgetting.
 
Hope there is no hiccups so you can get this hip show on the road!
Pre-op today, followed by four days of fidgetting.

That's a bit much, you know we caution about overdoing it.
Recommended schedule: one day of fidgeting followed by a day off ...alternating days.:heehee:

Get out and get some distraction (even from the forum and all things hips) and NO GOOGLING!

You are going to do great...hope today is a good day:) :-) (:
 
I've learned my lesson about googling medical stuff. I usually end up with three different kinds of cancer!

Except for lab results - I do like educating myself about what they mean.

Going to try to find some decent slip on shoes. I dislike shoe shopping anyway, and currently need a giant shoehorn.
 
Leaving for pre-opp in about an hour. It's raining rats and frogs out there. Driving in the rain is my favorite thing to avoid doing.

I'm glad to be getting sonewsome, though.

WHAT I EXPECTED:

Me: doctor, my hip hurts.
Doctor: oh, my, this is terrible! Please come to hospital Monday morning and I shall perform surgery and so forth. Meanwhile, I am prescribing for you an irresponsible quantity of dangerous narcotics. Please do not drink the alcohols while taking these. *Winkwink*

WHAT REALLY HAPPENED:

Me: doctor my hip hurts.
PCP: *examine examine* go over to the hospital and get some xrays, and come back next week.

(Next week)
PCP: your hip is really messed up! I'm gonna send you to a guy I know.

(3 weeks later)
OS: I looked at your xrays. Your hip is really messed up. Does it hurt when I twist your leg like this?
ME: aiiiuaaeerrghhh! I'll confess.
OS: just as I thought. You need a new hip.
ME: *still sobbing* when...
OS: Oh, I'm not going to do it. But I know a guy...

(3 weeks later)
OS2: I saw your xrays. Your hip is really messed up.
Me: ya think?
OS2: does it hurt when -
Me: don't even think it.

And so on.

(Note: the above is a slight dramatization of actual events. Sometimes we must take artistic liberties in service of a higher truth. No dangerous narcotics were prescribed at any time.)
 
@59billy
I just finished reading all 4 pages of your thread and I haven't laughed this hard in ages. You made my day and all of us on here can always use a serious chuckle now and then! It's good to see you're keeping a sense of humor throughout all of your pain. Only a few days to go and wishing you all of the best. Looking forward to seeing you on the other side!
 
Home safe and sound. Got a little clarification: anterolateral procedure, no cement, spinal. All signed in for the hospital, got my giant wetnaps and magic soap.

Stopped at Walmart, filled 3/5 prescriptions and bought some ugly slipon shoes. I'm ready now!

@SE Florida thanks for the kind words. We all lean on each other and help in whatever way we can.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom