We can rebuild him. We have the technology

Thanks @59billy I'll try not to whine too much since I will be a week in front of you! No promises tho! :swoon:
 
Walker practice just now: put away some dishes, washed some more, made a cup of tea. It was a bit challenging, but educational. And then the real challenge: I have a nice cup of Irish Breakfast, and I have a comfy chair, but how do I get the tea to the chair?

I cheated and used the cane instead.

Question for walker veterans. Did you use a tray, a basket, or what?
 
I used my husband when possible.
I did zip tie a basket for most carrys...phone, pills...but I did find cups with lids helpful for use in basket when needed.
 
Practicing, haha, I love it! Great idea.
I know many have used trays that attach to their walker. Check out Amazon if you haven't already they have a lot of add ons for walkers.

Thinking back, I believe I would have put the tea in a travel mug or something lightweight with a top that closed so that if I dropped it, it wouldn't spill all over. Then I'd probably hold onto the walker properly with one hand and balance weight with my other hand on its side (the one that's holding the mug) OR try to latch middle finger, ring finger and pinky onto / around the walker while holding the mug with thumb and index finger.
I hope you have a nice Sunday!
@59billy
 
I used a fabric bag to carry things around. I also had a small thermos type bottle that I could fill with tea are put in my bag.
 
All my labs have come back. I'm not a doctor, though I did watch every episode of "House", but looks like I'm good to go. I'll see my PCP Tuesday and OS Thursday, then have the high performance parts bolted in next Tuesday. I'm not very excited or very worried. Just ready.
 
I like your outlook @59billy, not excited or worried, just ready! That's the way I felt on my first. I could barely walk, just wanted it done with the pain. Chin up all the way! Relief is on the way.
 
I went and bought the forearm crutches yesterday while reserving the toilet seat, shower seat and walker. The Mrs. is in Florida having her holiday before she comes back to being the nursemaid so I’m all set! Ha! 2 weeks to go - starting to get serious now.
 
I think the sleep deprivation is making me even more stupider than I usually am. At my consult with the OS I was asked if I'd had flu and pneumonia vaccines. I answered no, and the conversation moved on without anybody telling me to get them, and didn't think to ask.

A little googling this morning tells me that it's a good idea to get them. I can do that tomorrow at PCP. Probably ought to call the surgeon today to see what else I'm forgetting. I haven't done much routine msmaintenan in the last few decades.
 
Last edited:
Also ask if you should be having them this close to surgery. I would even ask more than one person to be sure. We have a member here who checked with a few people about having a tooth pulled a few weeks ago. All was good until he was at the doors of the OR and they pulled his surgery. I checked about the shingles vaccine and was told NO.
 
Called the surgeon and the vaccines are optional. Whatever. Seems like it's one of those areas where each surgeon has their own brilliant and totally correct idea.
 
Last edited:
I didn't have those vaccines, although they did give me tetanus shot a few weeks prior:shrug:
 
Last edited:
It's great to know this "infirmity" does have a cure. It is truly amazing that I get up and do what I have to, AND when able, what makes me happy.
Walking through the woods, fishing, riding ATV, actually being able to "play" again...not just get through the day!
Can't wait until you get this done so you can be on your way too!
Lots of life to live.:happyfeet:
 
Oh Lord, walking through the woods!

When we moved here, there was about two acres of woods behind us that liked wandering around in. Finally convinced the owner to sell it to us. Getting the survey done was expensive and tedious, but kind of interesting. I got in the habit of walking the property lines every month or so and checking the markers. This means crossing through a couple of drainage ditches. It's a great workout, plus I get to feel like a rich landowner!

So that gives me one more tangible goal so far as healing. Because as comfy as this armchair is, it's become a bit of a bore.
 
Acetaminophen: Breakfast of Champions!

Pathetic, aren't we..in the days leading up to surgery.
Your sense of humor will carry you (and others) through.

It's like an assembly line over here the next two weeks, so many of you having surgery.
I hope you're not too horribly miserable, billy
Limping to the finish line can be brutal for some. Thankfully you're just days away.
Wishing you comfort as you wait.
@59billy
 
Argh. PCP thinks I might be slightly anemic, so now I'm awaiting results of yet another CBC. I hope this doesn't push my surgery date back, because I'm running out of stiff upper lip and having to supplement with single malt whisky, which not covered by insurance.

Put the basket and skis on the walker. Managed to transport a glass of wayer and a plate of food, which was nice. even put some groceries away. Makes me think I can avoid being helpless and useless.

And the hospital called, politely reminding me to bring them all the money in the world Thursday. The fun never stops !
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom