We can rebuild him. We have the technology

We have quite a collection of folks in the first 10 days of April. And it makes a great support system, doesn't it? We're gonna all do great and all these nerves and anxiety will be a distant memory. I, for one, can't wait to have this behind me!

You guys are going to love having one another. You'll be checking in on each other daily, comparing notes, cheering each other on, it's all good!
 
I’m up for the anterior approach and was told one night stay whereas the posterior patients were told 2 nights stay. Good idea on practice with the walker and crutches - I was going to hold off getting them until just before but will chase them down this weekend.
Do most people use the underarm full length crutches or are the cane type with forearm grips sufficient? I was told to just bring crutches with me to the hospital.
And I just got my Berg Kodiak cooling system delivered so that’s ready.
 
My Dr. does the posterior, and I am scheduled for same day release. The plot thickens... along with the apprehension, though I will say today was better than yesterday. Yesterday my stomach was in knots, today, not so much. I got my walker last weekend, and the hip kit I ordered came today. Next up, raised toilet seats! They should be here tomorrow. This weekend I'll be decorating my walker with some motorcycle racing stickers. I've been hanging onto them for years, hopefully it'll make someone smile besides me! :)
 
Went for my
I’m up for the anterior approach and was told one night stay whereas the posterior patients were told 2 nights stay. Good idea on practice with the walker and crutches - I was going to hold off getting them until just before but will chase them down this weekend.
Do most people use the underarm full length crutches or are the cane type with forearm grips sufficient? I was told to just bring crutches with me to the hospital.
And I just got my Berg Kodiak cooling system delivered so that’s ready.

I'm told that the forearm crutches are easier to manage, but I've only used the other kind.

Had my pre-op labs today, so I should good to go. Somehow the orders got garbled, and the lab didn't get the orders for MRSA swab and urinalysis. Things didn't get resolved until I went across the street to my PCP and made a nuisance of myself. Now I'm just waiting on results.

As an aside, I've been totally geeking out on test results. Anything i don't already understand, I Google it so I can pretend I'm smart.
 
Most of the approach stuff is becoming like an urban myth. They will release you from the hospital when you are safe to go, or if they need the room or if you have bad insurance. Most people have a pretty significant blood pressure drop and that's part of the criteria for release. I spent the night at the hospital and it worked out good especially with all of the trips to the bathroom I had to make, they pump you full of fluids and then I drank plenty afterwards.
I used a walker and then went to a cane. OS really didn't recommend a cane he wanted a walking stick which I did use once I was out of the house and walking the road. I despise crutches and have had them in the past, just me.
 
Just today I've read:

1. Anterior is better because they don't shred all your muscles and you recover faster.

2. Posterior is better because it's safer and anterior might break your weewee.

3. It doesn't matter as long as you have a fabulous surgeon with a very big brain.

I lean toward number 3, myself. At this point, I'm so tired of the pain that I'd do it myself. I've got a knife, an angle grinder, and a bottle of vodka -- what could go wrong?
 
Just today I've read:

1. Anterior is better because they don't shred all your muscles and you recover faster.

2. Posterior is better because it's safer and anterior might break your weewee.

3. It doesn't matter as long as you have a fabulous surgeon with a very big brain.

I lean toward number 3, myself. At this point, I'm so tired of the pain that I'd do it myself. I've got a knife, an angle grinder, and a bottle of vodka -- what could go wrong?

I would get a hammer as well, tap those new parts in good and snug! :)
 
Bad hips are the worst:blackcloud:
No peace, no hope of getting comfortable, no sleep.
Not much longer guys...keep the faith!

I am super grateful it is behind me...you will get your life back and it will be sweet!:egypdance:
 
Just today I've read:

1. Anterior is better because they don't shred all your muscles and you recover faster.

2. Posterior is better because it's safer and anterior might break your weewee.

3. It doesn't matter as long as you have a fabulous surgeon with a very big brain.

I lean toward number 3, myself. At this point, I'm so tired of the pain that I'd do it myself. I've got a knife, an angle grinder, and a bottle of vodka -- what could go wrong?
When my rt. knee was bad I'd reached the point where I told the surgeon to do it or give me the book and I'll do it. I'd reached the point of looking at the shotgun and considering blowing it off.
#3 for the win. If you read enough about it you'll find surgeons that prefer the approach that gives them the best access. A ship in a bottle is nice but I'd rather have a real boat.
 
A former member who was a hiker used duct tape to keep her hip in ..as it kept dislocating.
The hardest part of my recovery was the first week and then keeping things slow and mindful for those first months...because there was immediate relief from that bonecrunching pain.
There are aches and discomfort as body adjusts to walking upright and well again, but I walk all day now, ride my ATV and go boating...all with no hip pain.
Never have regretted BTHR.
 
Just today I've read:

1. Anterior is better because they don't shred all your muscles and you recover faster.

2. Posterior is better because it's safer and anterior might break your weewee.

3. It doesn't matter as long as you have a fabulous surgeon with a very big brain.

I lean toward number 3, myself. At this point, I'm so tired of the pain that I'd do it myself. I've got a knife, an angle grinder, and a bottle of vodka -- what could go wrong?

I think I rather like number three ... and a large glass of Violet gin
 
Just today I've read:

1. Anterior is better because they don't shred all your muscles and you recover faster.

2. Posterior is better because it's safer and anterior might break your weewee.

3. It doesn't matter as long as you have a fabulous surgeon with a very big brain.

I lean toward number 3, myself. At this point, I'm so tired of the pain that I'd do it myself. I've got a knife, an angle grinder, and a bottle of vodka -- what could go wrong?

I think I rather like number three ... and a large glass of Violet gin

I prefer Cabernet. Or Gran marnier!;)
 
Today I was freaking out about how much home nursing and physical therapy was going to cost, then I remembered that the surgery itself will put me past my deductible and out of pocket limit. so bring it on!

And as soon after the THR as my OS and PCP say I'm ready, I have an inguinal hernia repair, and ends up being free!
 
And as soon after the THR as my OS and PCP say I'm ready, I have an inguinal hernia repair, and ends up being free!
Oh my stars...that hernia along with the hip pain must be miserable.
Glad hip is coming up soon.
There were a few members who also went on to have hernia surgery...um, have to think who?
 
The sense of fragility is worse than the pain. I'm used to being the guy who helps everybody move and so on, and right now I have to be so careful doing just about anything.

Meh. Grumble, grumble, oh poor me!
 
Hello. Just chiming in to wish you luck. Love your thread title and have learned a lot too from this site. I agree with choice 3! Big brain all the way. My surgeon said, the approach and opening are going to be what I need it to be to get you walking again. Good enough for me. That is the plan. Walking!
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom