THR Toddlermom - one down!!

Thank you all! And their sweet little personalities are finally returning. Although we have folks helping this week, it is only for a few hours. And no overnight guests....so no sharing rooms. A few more days and I expect the whining tantrums will return to their rightful 'periodic' status. For almost a week, they were an hourly occurrence......WOWZA! Who can blame them? It's hard enough as an adult negotiating this stuff. They have been super sweet, bringing me ice packs, slowly dancing with me in the kitchen, and kissing 'Mommy's BIG owie', but they are ready for piggy back rides and playing Legos on the floor....soon!
 
Oh, they are cutie pies!! I am going for my surgery tomorrow...eeek :) THIS time, firstly, I hope it happens and secondly the timing works out that my kids' 2 weeks of Spring Break starts the day after my surgery and my Mom will be coming to stay with me as long as I need her and my Dad will be taking all 3 kiddos skiing for Spring Break...yay!!! Now, if I wasn't getting a hip replacement, but going on a no-kids romantic vacay to Hawaii with my husband, life would be perfect...lol!! P.S.- bad sister-in-law.


RTHR, MIS (minimally invasive surgery), posterolateral approach, Feb. 15, 2016-cancelled :( waiting for a new date
 
@Kitsmom Yipeee!!!! :happydance:That timing sounds wonderful. Mine were only away for the first 3 days, so you can have some pampering from Mom, and also you can let it all hang out! (I wore short nighties and no undies for the first couple of days at home) :scaredycat: By 10 days, I felt like I could manage myself carefully, with kid help.

PS - Sister-in-law eek!!! Hubby was furious with his little sis--
 
@Toddlermom, your kiddos are absolutely adorable! You've navigated this so well. I am really in awe of you. Your kindness and understanding towards how your children are perceiving this situation is just lovely. When I was reading your posts I couldn't help but think that some day, when your children have little ones of their own, they will look back and think, "Wow, mom did all of this and recuperated from total hip replacements!"
Oh my goodness about your sister-in-law. Yikes! :bolt:
 
So glad to see you get a few moments of intermittent rest ! I would love to be able to get up and down off the floor again, let us know when you achieve that landmark! Grin


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
@Toddlermom your children look very happy and content, what a lovely photo. You have done so well so far since your THR op and coping with looking after your wee ones (with some help).

Just take things a day at a time. You will soon be up and running around with your children before you know it.
:running: :dancy:
 
Day 28.....it is officially 4 weeks. I was feeling good, no Tylenol until I did 7 minutes on the bike at the gym at 1 pm. :egypdance: And that was really good. A little tightness, but mostly limpfree, until I was visiting a friend with kids the same age at 3...... Ahem (I admit sheepishly).:whistle:

Well, there is this AWESOME Pandora radio station called Family Road trip radio....and I might have pretended to be in an all toddler band for an hour?!?!? 4 kids, 2 moms, and a bunch of instruments. :spin::dancy::happydance: If you listen to the station, you will understand that it was totally worth it!!! (I was a cautious rockstar...lots of clapping and shaking my hair!). Laying down with ice and a pillow between my knees now. Tomorrow will need to be less celebratory! :ice:
 
@JMACCA. I will be paying for this fun tonight!!! But the exercise felt good, and I would have been just fine with it alone. The faux dancing with the kiddos probably wasn't the best idea, but I was ALL over 'the swim' !!! And they were simply adorable clowning around with their toy instruments. I just couldn't help myself.
 
@Jaycey .....Right now we are sticking to tables! Definitely! But it is good to have long term goals......

@DeepBreath Your kind words lift my heart. At my core, I am an excessive worrywart. Since, I can't change the bum joints, I probably fret too much about them. It is the one part that I CAN try to resolve.

@jomarie58 I will let you know when I manage it!

@Maisie72 Thank you so much! Now the progress feels like it is moving a bit slower, until I think about the small things that I have tried in the past 7 days. A day at a time is a great way to focus!
 
@Toddlermom, I am the same. I worry like it's my job. :) It stinks in a way, but I do find I am the one who gets things done. Silver lining....
Have a great day. :flwrysmile:
 
Hi @Toddlermom - First of all, your kiddos are just adorable- loved the photo of them! By the way, what is the name of that fabulous looking lit up toy they are playing with? For my job, I work with kids in their homes (usually under 3 years old) and am always looking for new toys to entice and inspire them.

You are doing such a wonderful job of taking care of yourself and those angels during this recovery time. I'm glad you had fun with the Pandora Road Trip music, (even if you paid for it a bit later.)

I remember feeling stronger and more like myself at 4 weeks. I hope your progress continues a nice soaring upward. I believe you have PT, correct? Like you, I want to safely and easily as possible get up and down off the floor. I need to for my job with the wee ones, which I will be returning to in mid May. I also do a lot of gardening come spring so will need it for that also. I had asked to specifically start working on that with my outpatient PT before I went for surgery #2. It wasn't as "scarey" going down to the ground and up again after the surgery as I thought it would be. Things are on hold right now as I'm back in early recovery mode.

By the way, I used to spend summers in Houston with my grandmother. My brother, sister and I would take the train down there with her from NY. I have very fond memories of those (hot!) summers. Haven't been there in many years. I bet it's changed a lot.

Hope you're not too sore today from being a party animal yesterday! Enjoy your day. :SUNsmile:
 
@Readysetgo I don't currently have PT, but I am going to request it at my 6 week appointment. Specifically for the unique kid things....like getting to the floor. Safely lifting into a grocery cart, etc. I have managed to go down to my knees at the tub to wash kids....but I have no idea how I would then turn onto my bottom?!?! Or how I would get up without the edge of the tub?!? I was a somewhat fit person, so they said that I didn't need it. But I gotta figure out how to do some of this long term. I am a gardener too, but I haven't even considered those activities for this year--maybe after #2 is complete?

These are awesome little light up cars by Mindscope, but the MAGIC is the flexible track that takes the shape of the 'terrain'. We took them to my aunt's house last year when she had her hip replacement, and the tracks were on her hospital bed....and my son watched the cars with her as these tiny lightweight cars went up and down her assortment of pillows. She was giddy, because my kids really are her grandkids too!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FKJBRR6/?tag=ate362da-20
 
@Toddlermom - Thanks so much for the toy info! Looks great - never heard of it before. Could be a good addition to my toy stash.

Hope the PT turns out to be helpful and gives you some good tips!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom