TKR TKR recoveries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone! I think my post was fuzzy in that I meant that if anyone needed any movie reviews, I can give them as I have watched so many! My wife loves Downton Abbey! Not really my thing, though.

Pain was better controlled today but still spurts of it and I find this knee having a harder time with extension as opposed to the right which wasn't a problem. Everyone is different, so I have heard many, many times! Still fidgety and claustrophobic but come morning, some PT and we will be on our way home! I know I still have tons of work but I'm ready to leave here. My wife may not be, though, :angel:

Guess I better try to drift off which is all I really do...couple moments of sleep here and there. Can't eat much and my stomach feels messed up with the meds. Took a nausea pill to no avail, so it's probably not that. I will try some crackers with the next round.

I have to keep telling myself, this too shall pass.
 
Yea Jimbo---the horrible waiting is over for you. Now just be patient and follow all the advice on here as you progress through your recovery. My recovery has been uneventful (except for constipation and nausea) which I have finally gotten under control. Ice and elevate constantly--helps with the swelling and the general feeling of tightness. Just think--the worse is over and you are on your way to a life not being controlled by your aching knees!!!
 
You are so right, maddoxsmama! That is great to hear that your recovery is going smoothly. I'm in the CPM machine right now, getting my two hours in before PT gets here. After he checks me out, I'm outta here! I know that being stuck at home is a challenge for me too, but it's home.

Nights can be rough for me, I don't sleep well and can't really find a real comfy position, meds help a bit. I actually dread nighttime and I have to get over that because it amps up my anxiety and then forget any chance of snoozing. Vicious cycle.
 
I am still sleeping in my recliner and I am four months post op tomorrow. I can just get more comfortable and am able to sleep so much better in my recliner. I tried to sleep in my bed my first night home and all I did was toss and turn all night long. I am a side sleeper and can't believe I find my recliner so comfortable but if it works, why change it!!?? Hopefully, you will be able to find something that works for you and allows you to get some sleep. Being rested will certainly make it easier to handle all the issues that recovery brings. Hoping you have a good nights sleep with plenty of rest--stay ahead of the pain!!!!
 
Congrats on your 2nd knee!
 
Day 3-the night was as good as I could get it. Slept on and off, hard to get comfortable but pain was managed. Got on CPM at 7 am in anticipation of being ready for the PT's arrival at 9 am. When he came, we walked (hobbled) and I got the ok to go home! Once home, I showered and then rest. I'm back in CPM for a bit, going slow, but that's ok. My extension is not good on this knee, didn't that've that problem with the right. My flexion is better on this one so far, though. Hard not to compare since its only been three weeks, but I know it's all normal.

Home health guy came over to reset the CPM and informed us that insurance might not pay for it...300. Per knee! Geez, it's not like we have two, its the same one! I foresee a battle brewing.

Just working on staying ahead of the pain and swelling, icing and resting.
 
J, Don't worry if you want to send back the CPM. No real evidence that it's any better than just doing regular PT/ROM exercises. Honest. $300 will buy a lot of fun once you're healed. Not just my opinion; a lot of places have dropped them.
 
That's what I've been reading too! But I wish they'd have told me that before I got it the first time, I'm pretty sure the charge is already posted! I will call them tomorrow.
 
If the insurance will not pay, try to negotiate a day rate from the company---that is how they rent them to most folks. I agree that they are not worth the money--you get the same effect by moving your own knee and it is better for the rest of the leg to be moved by muscles.
 
I will talk to my insurance company tomorrow, if they won't work with me then they can come get it. I will do exercises on my own!

Day 4: Just resting, dozing, icing and elevating. I took a couple walks today, with the walker of course, it went ok. I find that since this knee has extension issues that my right bears more pressure, it was a little sore today, so that tells me to scale back a bit until my extension gets a bit better on the left.
 
Good news, they cover the CPM! Whew!

Day 7: feeling a little depressed today. Tired of sitting around, feeling cooped up. Same thing happened with the other leg, I don't really remember the timeline of that, was a blur, but my wife does. At least I know it will pass. I still have a little trouble with the extension and it gets so stiff. I'm doing light exercises and icing a lot. Swelling seems to be going down, I hope that helps. I'm afraid my pain meds won't last so I'm cutting them back a bit, might be why I'm moody. Not much I can do about that.

It helped to read the activity progression for TKR. I'm where I should be and I'm not going to push it.
 
I think you're doing brilliantly ! You just had 2 major surgeries!
You will be needing the pain meds. I know you don't like lying about but just practice it gets easier.
Be kinder to yourself, you can only get better and better from this point
 
You are right speccy, laying around does drive me bonkers! I did do a couple short walks today plus all my exercises. Working on my extension which seems a bit better.

I think I got my days mixed up as tomorrow will actually be one week. The home health nurse will be by tomorrow to check my pulse. On Thursday it was a little fast. Don't really know why, I hope it's back to normal.

Pain is still a bother. In the hospital I was taking 2 Percocet 10 mg and then 2 hours later I would get 2 OxyCodone 7.5 mg. this was round the clock. Now, a week later I'm taking the 2 Percocet and then 4 hours later I take 2 Vicodin 10 mg. it is hard to drop them back to that, I'm feeling some light withdrawals. I really need to do this because I won't have enough to last until my next refill and I really want to get off the darn things. I have been taking them for 5 years now (Vicodin) and I'm tired of paying for my pain mgmt doctors yacht! :)

My left knee scar looks so much nicer than the right...less staples and straighter. I'm bruising pretty loudly back of my thigh and my ankle. I'm pretty dependent on the walker, but that's ok, I know that wont be for long!
 
Patience is the word for now. Here is the mantra for Bonesmart:

First are the mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!

You are so early in your recovery, now is the time to rest, rest, rest. In two more weeks, you will be up and around more. My doc told me at one week, I should be lying down with the leg elevated for about 80% of the time. Week two is only 50% of the time!!

Here are some readings from our library to help you pass the time.

The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Progression of activity for TKRs
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice -

Knee Replacement - Where Am I in Recovery?
So What Is It Going to Take? The Five “P’s” of Knee Recovery
Work “Smarter” and not “Harder”
About recovering a knee - from one who knows!
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
Myth busting: The "window of opportunity"
 
Hi Jimbo (and hello to your wonderful wife, too). Thanks for the comments on my thread. I've read through yours and am impressed that you took the bull by the horns and did it--twice. I wish for you that the pain would have been better managed. I have had just a taste of the restlessness from the drugs and it's a drag. Hope yours improves. Isn't it thrilling to know that a year from now, you'll have 2 functioning, pain free knees. My 2nd surgery is coming up in early June (3 months apart for me). I am willing to give up my summer for that prospect.

Keep resting, watch some mindless TV (for me it was HGTV and the Big Bang Theory). Laughter is healthy, so find something funny to watch. I remember watching Wild Hogs one of the early days and, coupled with medication, found way more hilarious than the previous times I watched.
 
Thank you for the responses! skigirl, yes, thank you for the info. I have read and re-read many of the articles in the library here. Many have been a great help. I know the mantra and appreciate it too. Unfortunately, the anxiety and restlessness that my body feels just doesn't want to listen to my brain. I know I have no choice but to deal with it, but truly I am afraid of being without the pain meds. The nurse came by today and said that I shouldn't be without them this early, I just don't know if the doc will or can refill yet. I will call tomorrow.

Ready, I did think about waiting longer between them, but so much was already in place that it seemed dumb for me to wait. It has not been easy, but I think that is to be expected. We love Big Bang Theory! Also love Duck Dynasty! I think I have seen all of them! I get excited if they show one I haven't seen. That's pretty bad!

Today was rough as far as anxiety goes. Nurse said everything looks great, she said she was surprised how little swelling I have already. I can't stand the CPM machine today, so I did very little, but I went on more little walks outside. Just nice to get out. I slept decent last night which was refreshing. Still, when evening comes my anxiety ramps up because I am afraid I will lay awake all night.

Oh well, just venting, I will get through this!
 
Good morning Jimbo. I see your avatar looks like some nice ski runs. Are you a skier or snowboarder? What part of the country are you from?

Do you ever wish you had done both knees at the same time? I think that almost every day-then I would be through with it and just gaining strength, not looking at the prospect of starting all over again. My sleep has almost returned to normal. I went on about 2 hours good sleep, up for 2-3 hours, then 2 hours of dozing for about a month. Not sure if it's the fact that the drugs are now out of my system, the fresh air I've been getting, or returning to work/activity that has done it for me. I don't care. Sleep is a blessing I will never take for granted again.

Isn't it great to be able to vent to others who get it? Wishing you a restful day--both for your body and mind.
 
Hi, Ready,

I think getting both done at once might have been better for me, mentally. Physically, I don't know. I did ask for that but the OS wasn't real keen on it.

I'm not a snow sport person, just a computer illiterate person! This is just a random pic that was already on here! :rofsign:

Day 12: staples were removed and replaced with steri strips. The top three did not stick well. Nurse said it should be fine but I think she just didn't want to come back out. I'm going to ask the pharmacist if there is some sticky stuff I can get to redo them.

I was given the ok yo start outpatient therapy. Can't wait! I need to get out in the world! I also just booked a flight to Michigan in two weeks! It's a 4.5 hour flight, I hope I can handle it! I will wear some compression socks and do walks every half hour or so. I might even take my walker so I can get on first. I couldn't pick my seat so I will call them and let them know what I need. I want an aisle seat. I hope to continue PT in Michigan as I will be there 1.5 months. If they won't ok it there then I will join a gym where I can pay month to month.

I'm walking good without assistance and rom and extension are good. Pain is low and I cut my meds to 5 hours apart. Two 10 mg Percocet each time and Tuesday I will push that to six hours apart.

I really have no appetite and have lost 20 lbs since my first surgery. I really did need to lose a few! I think this is due to med withdrawal. I'm managing my anxiety a little better, though.

Baby steps...
 
jiimbojunk, I love finding avatars for forum members. If you'd like something colorful and more in keeping with who you are and/or what you like, let me know and I'll be happy to see what I can do for you.
 
Thanks! I like any Detroit sports...red wings hockey, tigers baseball or the lions football! Maybe the red wing one would be good as they are in playoffs right now!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom