Lounge Doctor

THR Time to change things up.

OP
OP
Scuba_Diver

Scuba_Diver

Country
Canada Canada
It's been another week of just walking. I've been doing 3 km/36 minutes, walking our Golden retriever, Bella around our subdivision every other day. I still get a slight twinge in the upper left glute, during the last kilometer of our walk, but it has improved. So I'll stay the course.
BTW we got our first snow yesterday. Just enough to cover the ground & roofs, but it's gone now. I'd really like to get back to the gym, but Covid-19 cases are almost as high as last summer here in Ontario so no thanks.

Attachments

OP
OP
Scuba_Diver

Scuba_Diver

Country
Canada Canada
3 weeks of just walking & the hip/glute are much improved.
I'm back to walking 3 km/33 minutes pace with no pain or spasm in the butt/glute
I still experience some stiffness after prolonged sitting (ie 1.5 hr car ride to visit my brother-in law in a nursing home). Otherwise I'm making good progress. Spent an hour & half Monday morning bending & squatting to pick up sticks & branches from last weekend's wind storm.

Last edited:

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
:happydance:Good to hear how well you are doing. Sitting alot didn't sit well with me either:) :-) (:
Lots of improvements yet to come.:yes!:

OP
OP
Scuba_Diver

Scuba_Diver

Country
Canada Canada
Walking continues to go well. Did another 4 km yesterday & 3 km today. Only a little stiffness in the thigh muscles on the next day.

OP
OP
Scuba_Diver

Scuba_Diver

Country
Canada Canada
Later this week the (what I thought was ) "STIFFNESS" has progressed to numbness & pain on the inner thigh groin and pain on upper front thigh. I suspect I've irritated a nerve. So I've backed off on the walking & icing the lower left back pelvis, which is alleviating the symptoms.

One step forward & a couple back!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Oops, sorry to read this. Good to hear the icing is alleviating your symptoms.
I hope you’re feeling back to normal soon. A great week to you!
@Scuba_Diver

SurreyGirl

supremo
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi! Another diver here..... I had my hip op in July 2018 and was not nearly as fit as you but got back to diving and still love it. During my recovery I overdid the physio and found that walking with hiking sticks was best for me as kept my back straight. Also concentrated on heel to toe to stop the waddling. I practised finning in my local pool and amused everyone there by “hogging “ the pool ladder and repeatedly climbing up
And down it. As I got better my legs strengthened so by the time I got back to diving I felt confident enough to enjoy it. The feeling as I did the giant stride into the water was immense. My hubby bought me a tag aqua racer for my 60th which I love for diving and watersports. Tbh, I have more issues hobiecat sailing with a newish hip than I do diving. Looking like a stranded turtle when changing tack! Best of luck and keep up the walking and let’s all enjoy “getting back to normal” as soon as we can.

OP
OP
Scuba_Diver

Scuba_Diver

Country
Canada Canada
Well a couple of weeks taking it easy along with some back massage & ham string stretching has done the trick. Feeling much better. Bella & I were out for our usual 3 km (40 minute walk) yesterday with no issues other than a little stiff muscles in my calves.
I'm envious of your TAG, SurreyGirl. My wife bought me a Suunto D9 when I retired from teaching & quite frankly not at good product. $1000 cdn & it's a paper weight.
Have to send it to the west coast British Columbia for service & no idea if it can be fixed.

DesertHorses

Country
@Dianalb I think the kind of restriction you have depend on the surgical approach used. Both my replacements were anterior (front) approach and both times I had no restrictions at all starting day 1.
But it sounds like @Scuba_Diver is concentrating on multiple reps of a single type of exercise rather than a variety that might address some of the issues. I have had some some muscle cramps with some exercises - when my PT corrected “form” they pretty much went away. I think even an experienced athlete could benefit from consulting with a (well qualified) sports medicine trainer to check form and maybe evaluate areas that need work. Something like a recumbent bike can improve CV without weight bearing.

OP
OP
Scuba_Diver

Scuba_Diver

Country
Canada Canada
My hip replacement was last July. I've been just walking 2-3 km for the past few months.
IMHO just isn't enough. I still had nagging stiffness in my left glute after walks or sitting for any period.
Last week I added Jillian Michaels 30 day shred on alternate days at improve my strength & add cardio work. I walk 3 km (with Bella) one day & do Jillian's work out on the next.
The morning after day 2 of the workout everything hurt! LOL (just muscles) After my 3rd Jillian workout, I'm feeling much better. I stay at beginner level & keep the lunges & squats shallow, with intent to go deeper as my flexibility , strength & endurance improve.
So far (6 days) aft 3 cycles I'm feeling motivated & the nagging stiffness in my left glute is improving.
I'll check back in another week to let you know how things are going.

Last edited:

golfer67

Country
I hope bumping your activity up does help you get better. I have that same problem of pain and stiffness but I also have swelling above my hip. Please do keep us informed how the extra exercise works to eliminate the pain and stiffness.

Pumpkln

Country
@Scuba_Diver ,
Glad you are starting to feel better after starting your exercise program. Listen to your hip it will let you know if you have done too much.

You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

Last edited:

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Thanks for stopping by and updating. It’s good to read your pain is improving. I hope it continues. Be safe, stay well and enjoy!
@Scuba_Diver

OP
OP
Scuba_Diver

Scuba_Diver

Country
Canada Canada
The strength (squats, lunges, pushups, crunches, dumbbells) training in Jillian Michaels workouts is doing the trick. Yesterday I did 15 minutes strength routine filled by 3 km brisk walking. Today I did my first 5 km walk and the splits are all under 11 min/ km. My longest walk since the hip replacement & best time so far.
Feeling Good, BD3BBCE3-1E10-424D-8858-A4E0B668157D.jpeg

FCBayern

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Honduras Honduras
Sounds like you will be ready to dive again when the world opens back up! We love to hear success stories.

OP
OP
Scuba_Diver

Scuba_Diver

Country
Canada Canada
Thank for the reply FCBayern. I‘m looking forward to the dive season opening this spring. May is typically the startup here in Ontario. I see you’re in Roatan, Honduras. That‘s on my list of destinations!

New

Active Antibacterial
STEPS Challenge

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MistyBlue155
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom