THR THR Posterior - Slowly Healing

Cuz you're the OG / original gangster, lol. Only kidding! :heehee:

It's because you're the original poster, it's your thread, if you look at your commentary on anyone else's thread, the OP won't be there. :wink:
@msart
 
@Layla -that is exactly why I asked. And “original gangster” cracked me up!! I spit my water out-seriously . Comical tonight are we??? lol was really funny.
 
I had a good day today-my sweet grand daughter came over & spent 2.5hrs here while my daughter ran some errands. That is the longest time she’s been here without her momma, my friends or anyone here-just her, Lily & I since my accident. I am not too terribly worn out. I did get a little sore in my hip later, but nothing too terrible. Really happy things are leveling out, finally.

I went back & reread my thread tonight. I do that from time to time to remind myself how far I’ve come. There was one thing I never mentioned but was quite important I think now looking back. I found myself tensing up ALOT. Especially when I laid down. After I began to notice what I was doing, I had to mentally make myself-to relax. I think that helped with my muscles a lot. And it took some effort to do. But eventually, being relaxed became more natural. Just thought I’d mention it, in case anyone else is having that issue.

Hope everyone has a good night. Cold cold weather coming in tomorrow. Southerners don’t know what to do with 20 degree weather. Hope my pipes & heat hold up!! Happy healing everyone!!!
 
Relaxation is such an important component of our recovery - not just for rest and emotional stuff; I believe our affected muscles have to be able to first relax before they can either contract properly or stretch properly, flex and extend well relies as much on relaxation as work.
 
Hey OP :wink:
You must be further north than me in Louisiana.
I'm on the south shore of Lake Pontchartrain. So our lows are supposed to be "only"' around 34 degrees or so. Yuk. Hate the cold weather (unless it were to snow). Of course, we get snow down here maybe once every 25 years or so.
 
I noticed early on in recovery that the muscles around the implant would tense up - no reason for it, it just happened and I had no control over it. It was particularly when I was laying down in bed. It has not happened for a while now so I am guessing it was just another stage of healing.
 
Phoebie, you say that the muscles around the implant would tense up. This may sound like a stupid question, but how do you know it was muscles tensing up and not all kinds of tissue healing, knitting, fusing together? For the past few nights I have been having some incredibly painful sensations all around the implant, from hip to thigh, back to front, the whole area. Sometimes even icing doesn't seem to help it at all. Tylenol does nothing for it. Sometimes it is painful to the touch, sometimes not. I have been feeling it at night as well as waking up to this painful feeling. You'd think that after getting some sleep it would feel better upon waking, but it hasn't (for me). Starting to get concerned about things.

Also, how far along are you on your recovery journey?
 
@daisyduck0801 I'm in Shreveport-we are supposed to be below freezing at night all week, freezing rain Thursday & Friday-not the kind of weather I like at all. Of course sun is shinning right now, but the rain & wind are on the way in this afternoon. Louisiana has the craziest weather-I think. Will be interesting to see how my hip does-our first winter together-lol.
 
I wondered the exact same thing - about how freezing cold weather might affect hip replacements. I've read a few posts on bonesmart by folks that mentioned something about cold weather causing achiness, etc.
 
@Phoebie @daisyduck0801
Yes, muscles often do contract (tense up) in response to an injured joint, and remain in a state of semi-tension, in a natural attempt to protect the joint from further injury. Helpful if you were injured and had to get to a safer place!

In the case of our joint replacements, it may not be something that serves us well - first, because the muscles aren't necessarily even firing effectively yet; second because we are consciously resting and protecting the entire joint anyway, not trying to function on it!

Learning to override unproductive muscle tension via deep slow breathing and relaxing into discomfort is a valuable skill to practice and our orthopedic "adventures" where we are resting in safety is a good place to practice it.
 
Will be interesting to see how my hip does-our first winter together-lol.
I wondered the exact same thing - about how freezing cold weather might affect hip replacements. I've read a few posts on bonesmart by folks that mentioned something about cold weather causing achiness
Is It True You Can Feel Weather Changes In Your Joint?

For some people, yes. It's especially true for patients with arthritic joints who have not had a joint replacement, but also the case even after you have a new prosthetic in place.

Weather changes are predicted by changes in barometric pressure, which is the weight of the air pressing against the earth's surface. These changes can trigger pain and stiffness in the area of the prosthesis. The activity of bone adapting and growing around the metal leads to the sensitivity felt during weather and pressure changes. These sensations normally disappear within one to two years following surgery.

Stay safe and warm ladies! High of 15F in my neck of the frozen tundra today. :groan:
 
Phoebie, you say that the muscles around the implant would tense up. This may sound like a stupid question, but how do you know it was muscles tensing up and not all kinds of tissue healing, knitting, fusing together? For the past few nights I have been having some incredibly painful sensations all around the implant, from hip to thigh, back to front, the whole area. Sometimes even icing doesn't seem to help it at all. Tylenol does nothing for it. Sometimes it is painful to the touch, sometimes not. I have been feeling it at night as well as waking up to this painful feeling. You'd think that after getting some sleep it would feel better upon waking, but it hasn't (for me). Starting to get concerned about things.

Also, how far along are you on your recovery journey?
I can only say that it felt like a cramp/tension around the implant. It would just happen as I started to move after resting. Everything would tense and then after a few minutes relax again.

I am not sure it was connected to soft tissue trauma. My incision and the majority of trauma was to the side. They call it posterior, minimally invasive but is just to the rear of the side of the joint.

I am coming up to 10 weeks post-op; about two weeks ahead of you. With regards to pain control, I was sent home with some really good drugs and instructions to take them regularly and not wait for the pain to start. I did this until the drugs ran out and substituted them with over the counter stuff, as instructed. I gradually reduced them but still take them if I am getting aches and pains. I have never had out of control pain.

Does the cold weather affect the implant? I am not sure. Some say the metal gets cold but I have a lot of padding in that area so I suspect mine is well insulated. That said, I have been avoiding being outside in awful weather.
 
As I am continuing to heal, I have had many odd aches & pains & they usually work themselves out after a while. But I have had this nagging pain in bottom of my foot, on surgery leg-just beneath my second & third toe. Has anyone else experienced this? This maybe arthritic pain or something related to surgery. Do plan on asking my dr. As it gets very uncomfortable after a long day. However, I am aware that my walking is not perfected yet, so it could be just part of the process. But thought I’d ask here.

Hope everyone staying warm. The cold is here in Louisiana.
 
Hi msart. So the cold front is up there in Shreveport. Down here in NOLA metro, we're just starting to get rumble of thunder. So rain soon and then the big weather change.

What you are describing - pain on bottom of foot beneath the toes. So do you mean like where the toes connect to the foot pads? If that's what you're talking about, I started getting that recently but not on the surgery leg. I've been getting it on my good leg/foot. I just assumed it's because my walking is so atrocious right now (using the walker). Throwing most of my weight onto my good leg and foot to avoid the pain that comes with putting weight on my surgical leg. I know that's not good and I don't want to cause problems with my good leg, but, I'm doing the best I can right now and figure it will all work out eventually.
 
Hi @msart
Are you wearing old slippers and shoes with uneven wear patterns? That may be one cause of the pain.

The location is classic for Morton's neuroma - a misnamed issue; it's just fibrous tissue growing around nerves and there are several conservative treatments - but it could also be anything from bursitis to a ligament problem or a stress fracture. Yes, gait imbalances like being post op certainly can and do affect our feet!

So, yes, seeing your doctor is a good idea. An x-ray will show any bone problems; from there an ultrasound or MRI might make sense.
 
I developed very sore area on top of my right foot between big toe & 2nd but the pain some days went further up on top of the foot. Ended up making an appointment with the ortho who did my ankle surgery 5 years ago & it's arthritis. I was just worried because I had just got back into taking longer walks & wanted to be sure I wasn't doing damage by walking on it.
He had 3 options, an ortho insert for my shoes (which was $70 & not covered by my insurance), shots (no thanks), or bing bing bing....surgery! NO WAY!
Now the pain comes & goes, it's not as bad as it was last year. Soak the foot when it's really bad with lavender epsom salt. Eat a Tylenol & best thing is I get a foot rub from my partner! That's the best!
 
Geez. Arthritis in the foot. That's not something I would have thought about. You hear about it in the hands all the time. But not feet.
 
@myglasshalffull -im so with you NO MORE SURGERIES!!!! Good to know u went to Dr & found out. With this dang arthritis you just never know. You are so lucky to get foot rubs.

@mendogal -I’m definitely going to talk to Dr this week. No i have purchase all new shoes, including slippers.

@daisyduck0801 -im hoping not my good ole arthritis. Ugh….but also yes it can get you anywhere. Sadly.
 
@daisyduck0801 -yes we had rain yesterday & now in the 20’s. Will warm up to 40 today-it’s going to be like this for a week. Us southerners can not handle the cold.

You are very early in this so I would agree bc of your walking. Just wait & see if it levels out. So many of my pains did run there course. This one did not. I go to dr Thursday so I’m going to address it.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom