Guest viewing is limited

THR THR Posterior - Slowly Healing

@msart , @daisyduck0801, @Jamie , @phoebe, @myglasshalffull ...
I juat stumbled on this wonderful thread. So many of "us" agree on the recovery road that throws us "potholes, unexpected traffic jams, & a new or different pain pops up" I concur that a real book would be gratefully appreciated. WHO WANTS TO BE THE AUTHOR??
In MY 2017 hip surgery, the small hospital I used did write a notebook of helpful tips, recovery expectations & held 4 weekly classes a month before surgery. It was priceless. Then when COVID hit, this hospital stopped classes & no new notebooks issued. IF I COULD GET COPIES, I'D SEND THEM. I had recent 2nd Hip at THE Same hospital. I asked staff about the notebooks , & pre-op class. Sadly, They don't offer any pre-op classes or have new notebooks. One staff person did loan me their old notebook to peruse content while I stayed for 3 days. It Helped, but wish I could keep it! So .
THANKS TO ALL IN THIS THREAD FOR BEING SO CARING & SHARING YOUR RECOVERY JOURNEY WITH OTHERS.
2ND HIPPY
 
@2nd Hippy-book or booklet would be fantastic!! I’m not an author-lol-but I love the idea. Maybe on of our bonemart staff could take this ball & run with it-tee hee. Might be a lucrative idea!!

We are so glad you’re here-I’m going to have to go back & read your story, obviously this is your 2nd hip-I’m trying to keep myself educated by everyone on this journey, as I was just kind of thrown into this universe of hippy’s.. lol. I would love to read how many things have changed in the recovery plans since 2017, if anything. I also too, stumbled on this thread and thank goodness I did. So many sleepless nights I would just sit here & read others journeys. I found so much peace in knowing I was not alone in this. Crazy, isn’t it? None of us know each other AT ALL, but somehow knowing a stranger had surgery too-a deep bond formed. I know my friends look at me like I’m nuts, when I say “someone from my group said this or that”. This group has gotten me through. It has become a healthy habit to check in while I’m resting my hip.

Hope you have had a good healing day. I’m going to dive into reading your story!! ❤️‍
 
Hi all, still glowing on the heels of my very good day yesterday. I wanted to tackle today with a smile . I had 2 things I have been wanting to accomplish, things I’ve been putting off. I actually made myself a list-of “things to do when better from surgery!” Grocery store- I have only been by myself 3x & I only allowed myself a few items. The very first time I went I was very overwhelmed & did not get 1/2 of what I needed & simply came home. Today, store was quit busy, i had my long list. I was not limping & felt very confident, got ALL my groceries & headed home to unload. I was slow & methodical but I did it! Secondly, I have been needing my car serviced-oil change, tires rotated etc. nothing has been done to it since August, before my sept fall & surgery. So I called, made appointment & off I went. They got me in quickly & by this time my hip was getting tired & starting to tell me-this is enough. (It’s a 20 minute drive there). They were very kind at dealership & kept checking on me, making sure I didn’t need anything. 1 hour later car finished & I was heading home. I am tired, but feel accomplished. This was a lot for me to do in one day right now. I do not feel any pain, just can tell that was just enough for today. So I am sitting down, resting. My only complaint for the day-was when I woke this morning my knees were bent & it was strange feeling getting them straightened out. This is the 2nd time that has happened. I suppose they had been like that for some time. But once I got up, all was well. Wonder if anyone else has had that happen?

All in all a good day. I am hopeful no swelling tonight & can remain at a comfortable level. I am so proud of myself for once, actually listening to my hip. I hope all my wonderful hippy friends had a good day-with minimal pain. ❤️‍
 
I agree that writing to "strangers who have gone through the same surgery. I used Bonesmart in 2017, and it helped so much.
WOW, I'm so impressed and overwhelmed with you shopping & getting car maintenance done. I'm not even close to grocery shopping. (I Love shopping at Trader Joe's). Sending hubby with a list is not the same.
Hopefully your body won't feel any swelling or pain after your chores today. please take it EASY, & Rest tomorrow ......
 
Such great news!
Isn't it wonderful to be excited that you made it through a BIG grocery shop, sat through some vehicle maintenance, survived the car ride to your destinations, getting in and out of the car several times? This surgery certainly brings out an appreciation in doing all of the "normal" things we took for granted until they became increasingly painful to accomplish. I never tire of reading updates like yours and I have a few of my own sweet memories from my recovery that I revisit on occasion.

Glad you're taking it easy and not just assuming you can fit that much activity into each day...at this point. As far as your knees, I'm only guessing...Possibly some compensating as you're still healing? As your gait is changing once again, maybe you're shifting weight, even subconsciously and straining both knees, especially if you've been favoring one side for a length of time. Weak quads and glutes can affect knee strength also. Arthritic age related changes and inflammation can cause morning stiffness also.

Happy New Year! I hope it's a good one for you.
@msart
:new-year-toast-smiley-emoticon:
 
You all may be pleased to know that we also feel putting together a guide for joint patients would be helpful. In our spare time :heehee: we’ve been working on a downloadable pre-surgery guide that we hope can become a reality this coming year as part of some new initiatives with BoneSmart.
 
Way to go msart!!! I am so happy for you! It must be such a wonderful feeling that after all the stuff you've been through you had a day like today (and yesterday too). Keeping my fingers crossed that you wake tomorrow morning with no boomerang soreness, stiffness, etc due to your activities today. It's good that you're listening though to your body and not overdoing it. :loveshwr:
 
@Jamie -this is SO wonderful!! What a great asset to our fellow hippies this will be!! This is really incredible-oh how I would have loved this in September. I am going to spread the news to anyone I know that this is the place to be for information & support.

@daisyduck0801,@Layla, @2nd Hippy-thank you all so much-feeling such love & support. Brings tears to my eyes-bc somehow I’ve come a long way since Sept & I feel very blessed at this moment. Bc this is not an easy journey-it is mind & body. Highs & lows. Good days & bad days. Many of them. My dad gave me the best advice, many years ago-(it was on my wedding days-but-whatever ), I said daddy I’m scared, he told me “baby, you just put on step in front of the other, doesn’t have to be a big step either”, I have lived my life remembering that advice. So to everyone having a hard time-just a baby step is totally ok!!! ;)

@Layla -The past week, I have noticed I’m not using my body & legs correctly, in the 90 degrees. I noticed I was going back to the side as I did in the beginning. So I have really tried to be aware of that this week. So you are probably guessing right. I have to be aware of not going back to old habits, just bc it’s easier.
 
Yes, a book from hippies would be amazing!
Titled "The Real Truth about Hip Replacement!"
msart...you go girl! Sounds like a productive day. I remember when I first started going to get groceries on my own I'd be sure to not buy too much because getting into house & upstairs was difficult. One day I came back & head of lettuce rolled out of my bag onto the ground & I couldn't bend all the way down to pick it up. Darn! Fortunately my neighbor was outside & I asked him if he'd mind grabbing it & he did.
It all seems so long ago now, trust me you will remember these days but you will be back to doing everything you love & enjoy!
 
Happy NYE everyone!! Today I went back to gym-with a trainer that has done her research on THR-posterior. Did 30 minutes-light & easy I still felt it but not in a bad way. No pain tonight in hip, I’m a little sore & very tired. The past 2 days have been a challenge for me but I did it!! I plan on staying home tonight & tomorrow and just resting. My new plan is to tackle gym Tuesday & Thursdays with trainer, keep up my walking & being very mindful of how I walk & how I pick up things. Resting in between days of gym. I think I just got relaxed & went back to my old habits during restriction time. Bc I actually feel a difference now. If I can keep this up & build some stamina & strength-I do believe I may just get over this!! lol I say that bc for a minute there, I wasn’t so sure. I’m sure I’ll have setbacks, but feeling positive!!

Hope everyone has a safe & happy NYE.
 
@daisyduck0801 Happy 2025!!! Thank you on the positive attitude-I could not go down with this, I have my precious grand baby that is almost 3…and I have to get back to enjoying life with her!!! You are absolutely right & now I can look back & actually tell what works for me & what doesn’t. I’m hoping & praying that by spring-I’m back gardening & playing in the pool with my grand baby:loveshwr:
 
@.myglasshalffull,
@msart
@daisyduck0801
Happy 2025 to all.
Though. The tragedy in New Orleans really put a damper on Celebrating New Year Day. To those of you from Louisiana, I am hoping you both had no family or friends. Near the French Quarter at 3 a.m. Its such a senseless act of purposely hurting innocent strangers on the street.
Hoping we all have a healthier 2025!
2nd Hippy!
 
@2nd Hippy -thank you so much. All my family & friends down in New Orleans are fine. Such a horrible thing to have happened. Senseless is all I can say.
 
Today’s update-had my grand daughter for a couple hours this morning-always so fun. But she’s 2 and very busy. Was a bad idea to have her before my gym appointment. I’m learning what NOT to do. Did my workout which was a really good 30 minutes. It feels so good to be back. I am finding myself very slow, almost meticulous while exercising, which is different for me. But I think it’s good to slow down & focus. Talked to my surgeon last night-gave him an update-he said sounded like things are all good & just keep doing what I’m doing. I am having more numbness in my hands-but I’m not sure if that is RA related. I will address it next week with my new RA DR (my dr I had for years retired end of Dec). I do feel my hip this afternoon-so I’m resting it & icing. But I think all normal. Another day. Doing what I can & am now super aware of this new hip & her limitations. Hope everyone is doing well & hanging in. It’s a long process, for sure.
 
Do have a question, one thing I’m struggling with as far as stretching is I can’t bring my operated leg-foot up to my non operated leg knee. I have been trying & trying, I think I have made a little progress. Does anyone have any specific stretches to help in this?
 
Hi there msart,
Have you checked with your PT, or your surgeon, to make sure that it's the appropriate time for you to do this after your revision surgery? Due to the revision, you may want to check with them for permission and advice. You need a gradual and safe approach to accomplish this.
@msart
 
@Layla i have asked my surgeon & he tells me to keep working at it. He is out of state so we talk on text mostly-but thank goodness bc I have yet to find a surgeon to look at me, yet!! I have done my own pt-simply bc my surgeon did not recommend it. I can request it & I may next week. Idk I’ve come so far on my own-I’m almost scared to do pt. I don’t want someone to push me too far or be responsible for a set back. I’ve heard too many horror stories. I am/was very informed on exercises. I just can’t figure out why I can’t get past this one point.
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom