Guest viewing is limited

THR THR on 3-21, right surgical leg is almost 1/2 inch longer than the left

I had a really nice conversation with a nurse yesterday. She was so soothing. She said I was asking the right questions. She just sounded like she genuinely cared and that made all the difference. I had definitely been spiraling that morning.
I also found that the difference in length has dissipated enough for me to no longer be concerned. Honestly, I just want to get through this and never look back
I agree that this is the time I should be focused on healing. It is a pretty tough time anyways because I go to yoga to treat anxiety + depression. Without having my normal habits this can be hard enough.
I love my daily routine of yoga. I want to be able to add long walks. That is the freedom I am going for.


I also got really nauseous yesterday. It didn’t occur to me that it was painkillers until much later. Fortunately I had anti nausea pills. But at the height of the nausea I thought I was going to go to the hospital. Fortunately I stayed very still and got through it.

One of my friends came over today which made me feel more like a human .

I think being alone throughout this scares me the most. I don’t ask for help that much. But I am going to try.

Does anyone go through this
 
YES. You aren't alone in your mood @Wheatsiebat .

Blue episodes, crying jags are really common after joint replacement surgery. Here's an article about it.

The pain pills can cause nausea. It's good you had the meds on hand. Small, frequent high protein meals may help - basically nibbling instead of sitting down to a plateful of food. And a little ginger tea or ginger ale (if it has ginger in it) is often very soothing.

Hang in there. It does get better. And please do try to reach out for help. People are often willing but unsure what to do and so are relieved when asked for a specific task!
 
It is a pretty tough time anyways because I go to yoga to treat anxiety + depression. Without having my normal habits this can be hard enough.
I love my daily routine of yoga.
I'm also "addicted" to my daily yoga routine and struggled during the early weeks of my recovery to adapt to not being able to get down on my mat.

Fortunately, another BoneSmartie suggested cherry picking the yoga moves I could do (things that didn't require bending the hip past 90 degrees): sun breaths, upper body stretches, side stretches -- and most importantly -- deep, focused yoga breathing. The breathing and meditative parts of the practice really helped me manage my anxiety. I also practiced outdoors on fair weather days to get that added boost from the sunshine.

I think being alone throughout this scares me the most
We are ALWAYS here for you. And we understand what you are experiencing because we've been thorough it, too. Lean on us.
 
I had mine on the 26th and it's tough going emotionally. If you've had to take opioid meds it adds another later of difficulty. The first few days, I found that I'd cry like a baby at the smallest of challenges. Whatever it was, maybe dropping my grabber or my slippers not going on, it made me cry like it was the end of the world. Thankfully, I worked out that the danger zone was the hour after taking my meds. Strangely, realising seemed to stop it happening.

I find eating an hour before the meds helps. Eating nearer to the time I take them makes me feel nauseous. When my appetite dropped off and I wasn't eating an actual meal, the nausea was worse. So, little and often had the opposite effect on me. I seemed better on fewer bigger meals. I think we're all different and trial and error. Certain things seem to make it worse. I've just had a cup of tea and now feel nauseous. I'm fine if I stick to mainly water. A fizzy drink wasn't good for me personally either.

I've experienced this before with previous surgery, it will clear up as you come off meds or they are reduced. Hang on in there and experiment a little. :loveshwr:
 
Please let us know what you learn, @Wheatsiebat. Hoping they are able to reassure you.
I saw the surgeon today and took X-rays. He acknowledged there was a difference but he said it would get better. Then in 3 months I won’t even notice. Sounds good to me! Everyone has said the same thing as the surgeon

He said I could start using a cane for 2 weeks. Yay!

I also invited another friend over today. That is so helpful to my mood!

Now to understand there might be bumps in the road ahead, but I have my eyes on the prize.
 
Wow! Are you ever in charge of your recovery at this point! I’m so glad to read your latest post and hear the difference in your level of concern. You’re back on tract and ready to get with this recovery.

I’m so sorry you had to deal with that PA. This is not the first time we’ve heard of things like that happening that later get cleared up by the surgeon. I hope you have the opportunity to tell your surgeon about that incident and how the PA’s flip comments about leg lengthening made you feel. Surgeons need this feedback to better train their staff on how to deal with patient concerns.
 
Hello Wheatsiebat,
I urge you to be calm and thoughtful as you seek answers about the leg length discrepancy.
Use us here at BSmart as a resource.
But press on with your surgeon's office for answers.
I comment that the PA's response to your inquiry was unprofessional. The correct action would have been for him to look into your concern and to get back to you with a definitive response the next day -- NOT creating doubt and confusion.
Also, I suggest that you start a digital and hard copy file on all of your inquiries and responses. This is for clarity and maintaining an accurate record and timeline, NOT to assign blame.
For your own venting and peace of mind, you might start to journal your impressions of this experience.
Press on, friend. Stay strong. Yes focus on your healing but stay strong. God bless you!
 
saw the surgeon today and took X-rays. He acknowledged there was a difference but he said it would get better. Then in 3 months I won’t even notice. Sounds good to me!
Yes! Glad to read that he reassured you.
 
Hi all!
I am feeling better today. I have had some pretty good nights of sleep.
I also hired a house cleaner for the living room and kitchen area. That makes me peaceful when everything is clean.
I think the human connection is so important. I am someone who likes alone time. But I have found that talking to people makes a huge difference in my mood. I think the pandemic gave me enough alone time.

My hip feels pretty good. I am icing as directed. Resting. I took a 10 minute walk with my cane outside this morning. I was not moving very fast. But I know to take it slow.

This morning the swelling was fairly small. After the walk a bit more. But I have been icing.

I am taking about 2 to 3 Tramadol along with 2 to 3 Gabapentin 300 mg. I have some CBD gel tablets the surgeon recommended. He said to take them at night. None of these upset my stomach like the Oxy. That was truly nightmarish.

I am going to see if I can get a photo of my new hip to show you. The stem is a lot wider than my other one.
Happy healing to everyone!
 
You're just a few day's ahead of me I had left THR on 26th. I'm glad you had a good night sleep! It's a bit brutal at first trying to get a decent sleep and that just adds to it all.

I know what you mean about the house cleaning. Hubby is working like a trooper but it's not how I'd do it. Like you, I've been leaning on a few of my chat friends. It's just me and hubby at home and we live out in the middle of nowhere. Hubby isn't a talker but that's usually fine with me but being stuck in a chair makes a difference.

I'm still at the only bathroom and back stage, I have arthritis in the other leg, it's flaring up severely so walking is out. I was a little envious of your 10 minute walk but I think I may be there soon when I can get back on antiinflammatory meds. My team told me that every little walk makes the next walk better, if you don't overdo it. Sounds like you are getting it just right. I bet you're walking lot further this time next week.

I haven't experienced swelling thankfully! Not doing enough, I guess and I'm reclining a lot. The meds whilst necessary, they're the worst bit for me so far. They've had the side effect of just exhausting me and fuzziness so I can't concentrate to do any of the things I'd planned for to occupy my time.

I'd enjoy seeing that photo. I've become quite interested in different joint components as I'm apparently going to have a different one in the other leg when I get it done. What have you had? I'll look it up... Give me something to do!

Anyway, shout out if you want to do hip gossip. I have plenty of time on my hands

Deni
 
Wheat,
Great update...& it's nice to have your home neat & tidy, I'm a cleaning freak so I get it.
Deni,
My partner helped a lot around the house & I would have been lost w/o him but I understand we have our own way of doing household chores!
And to both of you I want to say it's so nice to have someone else close to your surgery date to talk to even if it's just here online. I had several folks here on bonesmart recovering at same time when I was in early days & made me feel not so alone. So enjoy the camaraderie!
 
I had TLHR on 12/5 and had the same complaint about leg length (mine was between 1/4 and 1/2 inch). At my 10 week follow up the surgeon basically said you need to stop thinking about it...and he was right...once I put it out of my head I didn't notice it anymore.
 
That’s good to hear!
I had multiple people tell me this was my time to focus on healing instead of the leg difference. It took about 1 week and 1 really bad day/night of being ill from meds for me to really embrace focusing on healing instead of worrying about having another surgery.
I think it was partly the pain meds that were interfering with my thought process.
I really decided I just wanted to heal and I could trust my surgeon. He had done the revision on my other hip and I think saved me.
He says I won’t notice at 3 months. I am not trying to measure anymore and that helps!
 
This is wonderful to hear!!! Congratulations on seeing the right path for recovery. You’re going to do just fine.
 
I haven't experienced swelling thankfully!
That’s great you are not experiencing swelling! I always react to surgery with swelling. And if I do too much, swelling will let me know.

Did you bruise? I had very little bruising which I find amazing because I am also someone who bruises easily.

Are you on pain meds? If so it sounds like they aren’t helping with your other leg. That’s too bad. Are you planning on your other leg next?

I was told my right hip was ok when I had my THR left in 2022. When I was finally able to take a walk in the spring of 23 there was a gnawing pain in my right hip. Took a few months to find out I had bone spurs etc. Fortunately it wasn’t pain all the time. I could do most activities except long walks. I tried to work around it but then finally decided it needed to be done. I cancelled surgery twice out of fear. Then I finally pinned my schedule down. There really is never a good time to do this. But I was able to get my yard and plants, gardens ready for spring with the 3/21 date.

I really don’t want to overdo anything to set me back. Taking a 10 minute walk this morning seemed about as much as I could handle. Getting ready for it takes 10 minutes!
 
Good Morning :flwrysmile:

I brought baggy trousers and everything for the swelling, very fortunate indeed, I've avoided it. I was prepped for it because I knew from previous bunion surgery how swelling equals a lot of pain. I kept elevated as much as possible. Not sure if that helped or if I just didn't get it.

I've got bruising in the area of the wound and a couple of random ones on my leg. I'd read a lot on here and was expecting more. Quite impressive colours though. On my outer thigh midpoint, going out about a hands span each way is my tender area. Feels bruised inside, I'm guessing stretched tendon or some such. No sign on the outside though

I was particularly curious as to why I would feel pain in my other leg. As you indicate, why wouldn't the pain medication deal with that, if it was dealing adequately with major surgery damage. I think the answer is likely, chronic pain. I'm not an expert and I understand it's complex but chronic pain can be resistant to even very strong medication. I've had pain in that knee for many years. It's a mystery pain that was eventually diagnosed as coming from the hip. I wouldn't believe it for years. I now believe it, especially with this strong evidence of chronic pain (pain signal that gets hard wired in the brain, following experiencing acute pain for a very long time). I am on the list to have it done this year.

I'm glad, like me that you overcame and opted for treatment. I understand completely but it's a shame to suffer longer than necessary. You sound like a keen gardener, I am too. What are you growing?

I achieved, walking to my bedroom wardrobe yesterday on crutches. To find clothes fit to be seen in. My wound weeped yellow stuff and I thought I'd got a trip to A&E to brighten my day. Thankfully, not! I think you're doing well. As you say, really it's 20 minutes of activity and it's good to have spotted that. It's easy to overdo it by accident by forgetting all the little adds ons.

Keep us posted!
 
Good morning!
I think you are onto something about chronic pain. I do think our brain may be hanging onto it.

I did have knee pain with my left hip. The surgeon said it was the hip radiating down my leg. It stopped after the new hip. And I am hoping that I am just a hip person and not a knee person surgery wise.

Gardening! I love everything that is easy and can survive Austin hot months and our new freezes. Elephant Ears are a favorite because their bulbs last forever even under the coldest of conditions. I like Crossvines because they really proliferate in their second to third year of planting. They don’t need a lot of attention. When they bloom out it is a gorgeous carpet of flowers. Hibiscus is always lovely. I also have non invasive Bamboo that makes my yard feel private. Bougainvillea is a plant I recently discovered that is also a tough cookie but has the softest blooms. It does well in the Texas sun. It does have thorns like a rose bush though. I have a herb garden this year of rosemary, lavender, peppermint and basil. Then I have a bunch of plants that I don’t know the name of at this moment. What about you?

I do hope you find out about the yellow stuff. Seems like there is always something to worry about.

I had a weirdly busy day with very little pain. I was able to run some errands as well as meet 3 contractors at my home. And I took a nice walk around the block. I was still icing and resting in between. I was so surprised that nothing was hurting. I kind of felt like myself for the first time since surgery.

Question for the group: what if the compression hose seems to hurt your leg? I feel like it may have shrunk in the wash. I know it is for blood clots since we may not be active.
 
Morning :flwrysmile:

I feel for you and those stockings. I have chubby legs and so it's a challenge to get them large enough. They need to be tight but too tight is not beneficial and is painful. I'd suggest measuring them and double checking with your care team. I was so amazed that my surgeon did not recommend them, I was dreading it. I have injections instead. All surgeons are different and so it's important to follow your specific guidance given. There are often reasons for the different approaches that are not explained but are Significant. I read that it's important to ensure that the fitting is accurate. You need a thigh measurement and the correct stocking for that measurement. If they've shrunk, you'll need some new ones.

Additional thought... Maybe ask your team if it's essential to wear them when walking. Maybe you can avoid them at times of the day. You're quite active now. Maybe they will be comfortable with you cutting down on hours using them or give them up all together. Worth asking, you may get a surprise reply.

I'll be back to reply to your other points.
 
Last edited:
@Wheatsiebat I can't recall anyone loving their compression stockings. Personally, I ditched mine about a week after my BTHR - they made my knees hurt and were horribly difficult to get on and off. AND I did not have any problems with blood clots. Since you seem to be some what active at this point I'd say it''s OK to stop using them. Or you could contact your surgeon's office and ask his nurse or assistant if it's OK to stop using them.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom