Guest viewing is limited

THR THR on 3-21, right surgical leg is almost 1/2 inch longer than the left

I'll definitely be researching further on the chronic pain to see if I can resolve anything with my knee. You and me both, regarding knee surgery. Three years ago they were saying although my knees didn't look too bad, they were only going to get worse. That isn't the case. If anything they showed a bit of improvement on the last x-ray. I was incredibly relieved.

Joints are so very complex and the same is true of arthritis. Much they are still learning. For women there is this added peri-menopausal element. Not enough research yet but the chemical changes at that stage can trigger arthritis. Then maybe as the hormones balance again, the arthritis can settle. I think I also read recently about an HRT link. I digress... All to say. It's not a given that our knees will give out too.

Texas... Just Wow! Now that's an exciting location for an avid British gardener who is a chilli pepper growing fanatic. I'm assuming they'd grow really well. All of those flowers sound wonderful. Is watering a nightmare? Or does Austin get a good amount of rainfall? I'd love to be able to grow elephant ears too. I'm more into growing edibles and they tend to dominate the season leaving little time for flowers. I do have a lovely rose collection and other traditional cottage garden type flowers that self seed. I go for anything I can leave to look after itself.

Anything I grow outside needs to be a tough cookie though. We are as far north in England as you can go, I can see Scotland over the tidal estuary that separates the two countries, just off the Irish sea. It's coastal, has a short growing season and prone to battering storms coming in off the sea. It's lovely to hear you are growing all of the herbs I grow. I get away with some tender plants with a greenhouse. I have a grape vine, kiwi vine and generally grow a lot of tomatoes, chilli, sweet pepper, even melons that have been developed for a short season. We get a reasonable amount of sun but not the temperatures because of the cold winds coming down from Scandinavia. Everything always seems to be larger scale in the US, so I'm imagining you have a big plot. How big is your garden?

I do hope you're not feeling it too much today after your burst of energy yesterday. Almost worth it though to enjoy a glimpse of normal for the day. I often see people report back that they overdo it. I can understand why. I'm sure that when I can do more ... I'm going to get excited and overdo it. You sound pretty on top of what you can and can't do though, so hopefully you're still doing OK.

Congratulations on a good day... Onwards, it's just the start of a sunny new chapter
 
Last edited:
Good morning ☀️ and afternoon, perhaps evening!

Your climate & garden sounds amazing and gorgeous! Romantic too.

Yes, it can become a chore to water starting in July to September. April and May it can be rainy. It’s raining today!

I don’t know much about peppers but they are quite popular here. I am only growing one tomato plant this year. ( it is already quite big) I also have lots of palms and ferns. I like it looking tropical. I think I have an average suburban yard. Just a lot more plants and sun umbrellas.

I feel exactly the same as yesterday morning. I can feel my hip. Isn’t screaming but it isn’t silent, it would have been nice to not feel it all. But it is still early on.

Glad you are calm and know your body. I think that is an exceptional way to be.

How much are you icing? My doc recommended 20 minutes on, one hour off. Then I see that some ice as much as they want. I enjoy the ice.

I hope everyone is having a peaceful healing day!
 
@Wheatsiebat … you’ll hear some medical and physical therapy folks go with the 20minutes of icing at a time instruction. But that’s really not the best for recovering joint replacement patients. Presuming you place a towel between the ice source and you, it’s better to ice (with elevation) for 45-60 minutes at a time. You can do more if it’s comfortable. I iced both my knees all night long while I slept. The towel keeps your skin protected from freezer burn.
 
I enjoyed the icing too. It helped with pain and made me calmer. My favorite thing was to ice my knee and have a heating pad on my back or belly for warmth. Ahhhhhhh…..

Be sure to ice front and back of your knee. A lot of people don’t realize the edema (swelling) can go into the tissue behind the joint and give you pain.
 
I'm not icing a great deal. I was all prepped to do so. My only previous surgery experience is bilateral bunion. Ice was a vital go to. It wasn't just my feet that would swell and be painful but my entire leg was in pain. I guess my expectation was that my hip recovery experience would be similar. It hasn't been up to now. I think I'm too early recovery, I've been keeping up on the pain meds and thankfully haven't experienced swelling, so far.

I'm just adjusting down my meds to come off of Codein if possible. I've avoided it now for a couple of scheduled med times. I anticipate, I may now be reaching for the ice a bit more. If so, I'll do exactly what Jamie said. Longer and as much as necessary was what worked for me in the past. I also use passive heat. I'll get a blanket and pop it on my leg, get it nice and cosy warm. A bath towel works amazingly well. They seem to trap the body heat. Maybe just my imagination but it seems to work. I tend to use the heat if I've got a mild ache and ice if it's something stronger. I find, personally it helps to keep the whole leg warm. I'm sat now with a blanket only on my operated leg. I've just taken my morning medication. It will keep the leg cosy until the paracetamol takes effect.
 
That sounds like a good way to ice. Have something warm too.
It is chilly today so I brought out the electric blanket. My cat is enjoying that right now. My other cat is using me for warmth.

I slept really well last night. I am sleeping on my back with a pillow at my knees. I usually sleep on my back with some variations on each side. I haven’t gotten to that yet. I know putting a pillow in between my legs is helpful when that happens.

On another note, I seem to be waking up a bit stiff but in a couple of hours everything seems good. Could be the pain pills or just what a body naturally does with movement.

This morning I wasn’t stiff. Nothing hurt but I could feel my hip. ( that is the constant) Last night I took a 10 minute walk .43 miles around the block and carried the cane as my strides seemed strong enough. This morning I took the same walk but with the cane.
I don’t want to overdo anything. When I started the 5 to 10 minute walks it just covered a third of the block I am going now.

I am starting some very gentle stretches on my quads. The operated on leg is pretty tight. It has had pain running down the quad. But not today. Which is why I thought about testing it. I usually go to a hot yoga class every day. I have been doing this for 27 years with interruptions during the pandemic and various surgeries.

I am laying flat on a floor and that seems like a pretty good passive stretch for my upper thigh.

I did have a strong crying jag this morning. I would have cried over anything and everything. There is a lot going on to be sad about so lots of choices. Sometimes you have to let it out.
What started this is
I was supposed to go to a lunch with a couple of friends + one. I had asked for it to be close to my home and have parking.( Austin is low on parking at some places.) Perhaps my friend didn’t read that because it was pretty much on the other side of town. When I got up today it didn’t seem possible for me to drive that far or be around people. Which is also what I needed. Next time when I am feeling more up to it.

Day 17 halfway done.
 
You'll have stiffness in the mornings or maybe even just with sitting for a while because a new joint tends to stiffen up when it isn't moving. This is why we encourage a lot of gently bends and stretches throughout the day. It doesn't have to be real "exercise," but just some simple movements to keep the body moving. A few turns on a stationary bike or walking around your house or yard can do the same. It's all good for your new joint.

Sorry about the blues hitting. It does happen. But you'll be out for lunch again soon. I'm with you about driving across town in Austin - even without a new hip. The traffic!!!! Sending (((((HUGS)))))
 
The "blues" are a natural part of recovery, I certainly had a few days of it here & there over rather silly stuff but if you are having other life issues a good cry can release some emotions.
This is a mental journey just as much as it is physical.
When friends wanted to come over I would tell them "be here by 4 & I have to go lay down by 7." Those were the early days. I remember a group of high school friends were heading down to the Cape for lunch (we get together few times per year). My GF said she'd pick me up but I knew sitting in a car for an hour ride then sitting in restaurant for another couple of hours then home I'd be paying dearly so I told her it would be too much for me, so I get it.
I love Texas! Go often. My son & family live west of Ft. Worth & my brother & SIL live in San Antonio right on the Riverwalk.
 
Yes, a friend offered to pick me up but I knew it was the total amount of time + energy. When I woke up yesterday I didn’t feel the energy in reserve for all of that. If it had been just close friends I might have been more comfortable.

One of the friends has very little idea of what this hip replacement takes. He hasn’t been through it so there is no reason for him to know. I still find it mildly annoying. But we may be at that age that I need to repeat myself.
 
Try not to fault people who don’t get it. If they’ve had no experience with joint replacement, even if they’ve had other surgery, they have no frame of reference to understand what recovery involves. You made a good decision. It’s one event. There will be more that you’ll enjoy when you feel more like yourself again.
 
I unfortunately tried to get out of the car too fast. Didn’t seem that fast but I felt it. Felt it and 2 hours later the area where the scar is swollen and tight. Sitting does not hurt but walking is definitely different.
I called the surgeon and they made an appointment for Wednesday.
Feels like I pulled a muscle or something. Not going to do my walk around the block as I don’t want to irritate it more.

Icing etc.
 
Ugh...I'm sorry. You likely irritated soft tissues. Rest, ice and hopefully you receive reassurance on Wednesday that all is well. You may even be feeling better by then. :fingersx: Stay in touch and let us know what you hear.
Wishing you the best!
@Wheatsiebat
 
I had a cry when my slipper dropped off my grabber, three times in a row a couple of days ago. Sobbed like a baby! That's not me normally but I've just had to accept that apparently becoming a bit emotional is part of the recovery journey. I think I've read somewhere about the endorphins and similar that rush in when we cry. Maybe, it's something positively beneficial although it certainly doesn't feel like it when I experiencing it.

Remember all the recovery stories. Pick a few and fast forward to 6 months updates. It will remind you that before you know it, the other side of town is a 'been there done that, old hat', kind of adventure. You'll progress quite quickly to, 'I was hoping to be able to get up that mountain in 3 hours at this point in my recovery'... 'It's getting me down a bit'. I'm not being at all unkind or dismissive to anyone at any point on the long recovery journey. It's genuinely hard at every turn and it's very rational to feel disappointed. I'm more trying to point out that it is a long road to recovery. It's going to be a challenge to be patient with your progress but progress you will continue to make over the next couple of years.

You are doing fantastically well.. Trust yourself and be kind to yourself. You will get there :flwrysmile:
 
It’s funny how I forget I just had hip surgery. That is when I do something small but painful.

I do feel impatient, but I know my body is healing on its own. I just have to let it.

Today is sunny and perfect. I was able to get a 15 minute walk in. My stride feels a little different but not in a good way. Doesn’t hurt though.

I also made an appointment with a PT for next week.

So I feel much better after 2 days of yuck. But you are right about tears. We eventually feel better for letting it out.
 
I had a cry when my slipper dropped off my grabber, three times in a row a couple of days ago. Sobbed like a baby!
We hear a lot of this. Those crying jags are common and you can be laughing about something minutes later. Anesthesia and pain meds can mess with your emotions and brain chemistry, especially opioids. You can feel rather disconnected for weeks. Then there is often sleep deprivation to go along with discomfort and pain as your body and system is processing the trauma of the recently endured major surgery. It can be really difficult for some to feel so dependent on others also. Thankfully this crazy roller coaster of emotions doesn't last too long.
Deni, I recall an old BoneSmart colleague of mine used to relay a story of her water cup rolling underneath a piece of furniture, she couldn't retrieve it and...devastation and water works ensued. :bawl:

At least some of this stuff is good for a laugh later on. :heehee:

Have a great evening ladies!
@Wheatsiebat
 
I can relate to your crying. One of the most frustrating things for me was having to use the grabber for so much. I was shocked at often I dropped stuff. For a couple of days I got so sick of that darned grabber that I just left everything I had dropped all over the house.

When the doctor told me I no longer needed to follow the "90 degree rule", it was such a relief.
 
I appreciate all of the stories and support!

I had one experience a couple of years ago after coming off painkillers where I was watching a tv show about Bono’s family. I sobbed that I wasn’t part of his family. Which is absolutely ridiculous because of course I am not part of his family. But I got it in my mind this was the saddest part of my life.
I was kind of laughing sobbing because I knew it was crazy to be upset over it.

Then later after recovering I got to see U2 at the Sphere twice. And both concerts were the most magical experiences! Except I discovered my other non surgical hip was super painful with all the Las Vegas walking. I didn’t know if I was going to make it back to the hotel. But I did . I was eyeing wheel chairs. Las Vegas had me clocking in at 8 miles a day easy. Eek.

This last few days has been more about my normal sadness of feeling left out and alone. Although almost anything I was watching on tv made me person.

I think it makes perfect sense to be upset about an uncooperative grabber. It is supposed to work in these circumstances!

I have not cried very much today. It was such a relief to feel kind of ok. I iced when I wanted to instead of timing it. Resting and elevating to my heart’s content. Taking it easy because my job is to heal.
 
@Wheatsiebat The isolation and loneliness is a real drag! Do you have folks near by who you could call and ask to drop by for a visit? Have you been able to get outside for a while -- that sunshine vitamin is very helpful with healing and brightening one's mood. Not necessarily for a long walk but perhaps taking a chair out side and just sit with the sun on your face for a while.

As for recalcitrant grabbers ... been there, done that! About 2 weeks after I got home from the hospital after my BTHR I was home alone - cousin had returned to her family and my house mate was at his job. Having had both hips replaced at once I was on very strict hip precautions per my surgeon - absolutely NO bending (among other things). Had to get up to go to the loo and reached for my crutches .... and dropped both of them. Tried to use the grabber to get at least one up ..... and dropped the grabber. Things were getting ..... urgent. Fortunately I had a long handled back scratcher on the table (great for scratching itchy back, lower legs, and feet) and was able to use that to lever up the crutches. It would have been a major problem if not for that handy devise :)

You are still early days in the recovery process .... all of the whinges and woes will pass and a few months from now or next year you'll look back and have just memories :console2:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom