THR THR on 3-21, right surgical leg is almost 1/2 inch longer than the left

Good morning!
I woke up with feeling like my hip had been operated on. Imagine that! I reached for the cane whereas I had forgotten about it several times over the weekend.
I had taken more pain medicine last night and in the middle of the night. Still got my 8 hours of sleep.


I guess I just need to hear how this is an up and down recovery. I felt great last Friday. Even yesterday seemed pretty good physically. I took a minimum of pain medication. About the same as I did pre op.

Just part of recovery. I guess take it more easy than yesterday.
 
I guess I just need to hear how this is an up and down recovery. I felt great last Friday. Even yesterday seemed pretty good physically. I took a minimum of pain medication. About the same as I did pre op.
Yes! This recovery is a roller-coaster ride. Here's a little illustration of how recovery from a joint replacement usually goes:

rollercoasterexample-gif.74641



What you are experiencing is indeed just part of the recovery. But feel free to pop in and complain whenever you need to. That's why we are here!
 
Thanks Benne!

I tend to worry about any aches or pains mean something is wrong. I know that isn’t necessarily the case. I just had the one surgery that resulted in my femur being broken so that is why I worry.

This morning I got in a nice but slow walk outside. Perfect 72 & sunny! Nothing hurt but nothing wanted to move very fast.

I feel really tired today. I know this is also part of the recovery. I think it could also be that I was super stressed all week about my retirement funds. Mental and physical stress. Time for a nap!
 
Hi Wheatsiebat,
You're not alone in wondering if something is amiss with new pains while in early recovery. It is understandable that you feel this way, especially since you experienced a revision.
You're still healing and your stamina, along with your confidence, will increase in the weeks to come. Mental and physical stress zaps our energy for sure. I hope you're able to get some restorative rest over the weekend and feel refreshed when the new week begins. Take good care! :)
@Wheatsiebat
 
You're doing great! The thing I've noticed about your recovery, is that you keep pressing on regardless of mini set backs or niggling worries. From where I'm sitting it looks like true grit determination but with a good sense of balance. Don't worry about the funds for now. Sit tight, look away and wait for the dust to settle. One thing is certainly true, worrying will not make a shred of difference. Doing anything immediately, may be unwise whilst it's volatile and so just put all your energy into fixing you :flwrysmile:
 
I appreciate the support!! It makes such a difference to talk or chat with people who understand this stuff. It is amazing how alone it can feel without having my normal routine of yoga etc. This stuff isn’t easy. I was thinking on my morning walk today that I am stronger than I think. I have to be because I made it through this before.

Since my surgery was 3-21 I have been thinking I am in week 4 as of 4-12. Is that right?
On 5-1 I see my surgeon for week 6 check in. Wahoo! It seems close and far away! The week 6 check in is my hope of him giving permission to do other activities such as my yoga practice. That was really helpful in my last hip healing.

Week 4 activities include walking up to 30 min per the Bonesmart activity page. ( image attached)

For week 3 I had been taking 15 minute walks around my block. I just did 1 yesterday as I wasn’t feeling great.

Today I decided to see about cutting back on pain meds. So far so good at 3pm. The pain meds made me sick again yesterday so I am motivated to cut out most of them.

Today, I have taken 2 15 minute walks outside with my cane. Both were fine with just a little discomfort around my mid thigh area. I am planning on an evening 15 walk. I am hoping that isn’t too much.

Tomorrow maybe try a 20 minute walk. I am not sure about doubling the time right off the bat. . Thoughts?

My goals this week:
Decreasing meds as tolerated.
Increasing walk times as tolerated.
Saying kind thoughts to myself. ( as tolerated ;)

Happy patient healing!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] THR on 3-21, right surgical leg is almost 1/2 inch longer than the left
    IMG_3133.webp
    85.8 KB · Views: 44
It’s best not to increase your activity levels too quickly. When you increase something, keep it at that level for 3-5 days before adding another increase of any type. Daily increases can compound over several days and you may find yourself with additional pain. Staying at the same level for at least 3 days ensures that your body is ready to take another small step forward if there is no increase in pain or swelling.

You’re doing just fine. Patience is the key word, though. Slow, steady increases in exercise and activity.
 
Thanks, that makes sense.

I ran this by ChatGPT and got a similar answer!

It put this schedule together. I will follow this as long as everything feels ok.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] THR on 3-21, right surgical leg is almost 1/2 inch longer than the left
    IMG_3138.webp
    59.7 KB · Views: 45
I'm an avid walker & have been my entire life. I'm the woman who parks 50 miles away from the store in parking lot to get those extra steps in!
I so missed walking in those early days & my doctor told me it's better to do 3 ten minute walks over the course of the day rather than try to do one 30 minute walk.
Once that challenge has been met you can then begin to increase as you are comfortable.
We have a nice walking trail close by & when I dog sit I take the dog there, it's one mile each way. When I first started taking the dog there I had a "spot" I'd turn around cause I could feel the thigh & back getting a little sore & I knew I had to make it back to square one. Now I can do the entire trail and I often remind myself of how far I've come.
 
Thanks Myglasshalffull!
I had been doing a couple of walks most days the past week so I think I can add a few minutes. I will still pay close attention to how things are feeling.

I was able to sleep without pain meds last night. yay!

Cheers to walks!
 
I'm really pleased to see you make progress! It's all a balancing act but you seem good at ramping down appropriately before you overdo it too much.

Have you tried a kind of meditation yoga? I may be making it up but thought I read something about it somewhere. Basically, you lay down and do all the breathing elements and go through the moves in your head. Imagining the movement through muscles and limbs. I appreciate, a sorry excuse for the real thing but it may help fill a gap. Particularly if you get dressed and prepare a space for it. Maybe add some essential oils into the mix?

Take care with reducing the meds, I found I started to go a bit haywire with increased general uncomfortableness when I tried. There seems a fine line between uncomfortable and pain but personally I found uncomfortable, just as restrictive and then couldn't move about as well. Having said that, the nausea can become a challenge too. Such a juggling act but you've got this!!!
 
Thanks Deni!
I am trying some stretches here and there. I have taken mediation classes but what I really like is being in a hot room doing yoga. I am going to see if it is okay to go to a sauna at this point. Seems like it would be okay.

Today I took 2 walks. The morning was 20 minutes. Felt okay. This afternoon I walked for 16 minutes at a quicker pace. Felt my leg a little bit in the middle but it went away by the end. I listened to Fresh Air on NPR which was just lovely.

I also had taken half a tramadol at 8am which is what I have normally taken for my hip pain for the last year.

I got really nauseous again today so that was odd because Tramadol has never made me feel sick. Not in all the times I have taken it.

I didn't start feeling any leg discomfort until 8:30pm. It wasn't really bad but it was a feeling. So for bed I have another 1/2 Tramadol and my HRT meds.They help me sleep and hopefully my leg won't be uncomfortable. It does seem a little swollen around the scar area. It is generally just a bump so I have some ice on it.

Tomorrow I have my first PT appointment at 5pm. I am looking forward to being around people. My goodness I miss people. I don't think I have ever thought this before.
 
what I really like is being in a hot room doing yoga. I am going to see if it is okay to go to a sauna at this point. Seems like it would be okay.
I don't think I'd attempt that at less than a month post op. Heat can increase swelling and sweating can cause dehydration and moist heat can raise the infection risk in regard to your incision if it's not completely healed. It is wise of you to check first, as you mentioned you would. It would be disappointing to have a negative effect from something you're looking forward to.

The Tramadol may have made you nauseous, even if it hasn't ever before. Our bodies can change how they react to meds over time. Guessing you didn't take it on an empty stomach, and always take it with some food / snack and stay adequately hydrated. Hopefully it was a one off.

Great news on the walks! I hope you slept well last night and I wish you the best for your appointment today!
Let us know how the trek to the office and your return to society goes. :wink:
 
@Layla thanks for the heads up on the sauna. Nothing is more important than recovering patiently.

This morning I woke up, took a shower, put on real clothes, put on red lipstick! And listened to music which was a normal morning for me but new since surgery. I had some joy! Music makes me so happy. For some reason I didn’t want to listen to it since surgery.

My leg was a little tight so I took a shorter 10 minute walk. I iced and am resting.
It was a nice cool morning. I do think I picked the right time for surgery and walking in Austin.

I plan on making some blueberry muffins. I am not a baker but ChatGPT suggested it as something that would be beneficial to digestion. So sure I can try it!
 
I'm impressed with your dedication and stamina with your walks. Reading between the lines they always seem to give you a boost even when you feel it a little after. I feel my incision and a bit of what feels like swelling in there after I exercise too. I've read in the guidelines that it can be an indication of overdoing it a little. For example I'm having a quieter day today after my walk yesterday because of it. Resting has solved it though. I enjoyed my little walk so much that in hindsight, I'm still glad I did it. I will do it again but definitely no further. It wasn't very far and I don't mind having a rest day. I'm still walking around the house. I've also seen a bit of stability improvement despite the slight post walk swelling. As we keep saying, it's all about trying to find a balance but also push just enough.

I agree with Layla about the nausea and Tramadol. I'm different to my normal since surgery where nausea is concerned. Paracetamol usually gives me instant nausea but I'm fine with it currently. Cups of tea are currently giving me quite bad nausea. That seems ridiculous to me because tea has never made me feel nauseous... Ever. I mean, I am British!

All the best with the PT appointment. I really hope you enjoy it. Maybe fit in a coffee somewhere or a meet up with friends to make it a double date!
 
Last edited:
Hi again Wheatsiebat,
Real clothes and lipstick! Red, no less! Look at you grabbing hold of life again. I'm with you!
At only days in, I began blow drying my hair rather then letting it do its own ugly thing, lol. I applied minimal make up also and a spritz of fragrance and I'm telling you, it made all the difference to me. I got tired of catching a glimpse of my bedhead and pale looking visage in the mirror each time I used the bathroom.
I believe dressing for the day makes a difference also. You don't feel like such a "patient".

Blueberry muffins sound yummy. I hope you enjoy! :)
@Wheatsiebat
 
@Layla thanks for the heads up on the sauna. Nothing is more important than recovering patiently.

This morning I woke up, took a shower, put on real clothes, put on red lipstick! And listened to music which was a normal morning for me but new since surgery. I had some joy! Music makes me so happy. For some reason I didn’t want to listen to it since surgery.

My leg was a little tight so I took a shorter 10 minute walk. I iced and am resting.
It was a nice cool morning. I do think I picked the right time for surgery and walking in Austin.

I plan on making some blueberry muffins. I am not a baker but ChatGPT suggested it as something that would be beneficial to digestion. So sure I can try it!
I completely missed this update until I saw Layla reply about lipstick. I'm trailing one post behind.. All the best with the muffins and good for you with the dress up! I'm thrilled you found the joy today and recaptured your love of music. Another great milestone, surgery seems to completely dismantle us in unfathomable way's. The recovery process seems to be a little like putting a jigsaw together. We have the image but all the pieces are disconnected and jumbled up. First we locate the corners, then the sides come easier. Before we know it we start to see ourselves reappear and every next peice becomes easier to place.

Hope you continue to have a wonderful day!
 
@Deni444
You are so right about being dismantled and then put back together. Physically, emotionally and everything else that makes us.
The muffins were delicious!
I also went to the Physical Therapist. At first I was a little wary he would make me do something that would cause problems. But eventually I settled down and enjoyed learning about how we were going to strengthen muscles! Yes!
He also calmed my fears that I was going to hurt my hip at this point. He was very optimistic about my progress so far.
So it was a day where I see light ahead and I am here for it!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom