Guest viewing is limited

THR THR: my journey and outcome

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi guys and gals

10 weeks post op and getting about the house without the cane for short spells...

my 1st follow up after the op was week 7 with a PT who told me that the side lying hip abduction would be the best exercise to strengthen my hips (lying on my side and doing a scissor motion by lifting operated leg off the top of my good leg ) with me so far?

at this point in my recovery I had not a twinge to speak of...until I had a go at this exercise.
to be fair I had a tendency to rush things and over do exercises anyway.

this abduction exercise I could not really manage and since then have been experiencing quite a lot of stiffness under my scar/top thigh area. I had the "one scar op" cementless.

I still have the same range of motion but now it feels tight, and a little harder to get there. The good folk (mods) on here have explained that I have most likely been overdoing things and in too much of a hurry to heal. They have suggested that I "backtrack" a little and be in less of a hurry, and that makes perfect sense I suppose

I feel my leg getting stronger every day but I am slightly annoyed with myself for giving myself this unnecessary set back.

I typed this post to see if this rang any bells with folk.....have you overdone things in your recovery and had setbacks because of it, stiffness and so on?

after my early morning walk I can feel some stiffness that was not there before my attempt at this exercise....have you found some troubles on the way to your "final" recovery ?

I have other issues besides the THR, Ankylosing Spondylitis,it has not been easy my friends

they perform the op on you and from then on you are on your own, one is told very little of what to expect and how to prepare for the healing process.

it is from the good people like yourselves that I find some some solace

thanks all. John
 
John, I think you'll find that just about everyone overdoes things at some point in recovery. It's natural as you start feeling better to try new movements and activity. When you do that, it is possible to try something (like the exercise you were doing) that your body just isn't quite ready for yet.

When that happens, the best thing to do is back off for a bit and then slowly try it again at a later time. All these things that are difficult to do early in recovery (you ARE still early in your recovery, you know :)) are only a temporary problem that will go away with time. Patience, patience, patience......and you'll be doing all these things.
 
I had a posterio-lateral approach and that exercise you talk about is one that my surgeon told me NOT to try until he told me it was OK. He still says it is not OK yet. So maybe you should ask your OS whether or not you should be trying it.

Peace and love to you.
 
ochaye My OS would have a CONNIPTION if I were trying to do the stuff you are doing! Take Josephine's advice and SLOW DOWN!
 
Sounds like normal post op stiffness John. I am afraid there is no magic cure for all this - only time and patience. If the exercises are causing any discomfort - back off and wait a few days. Then try again. I found what was one day impossible suddenly became easy.
 
John, I understand your frustration so its easy to answer your question. I had both hips done 17 months apart, the most recent one on Oct 15th.

So one day when I was 5 days post op, I asked my wife if she woud take me fof a ride to get me out of tbe house. So she did. We went for an ice cream and as I was getting back in the car, I knew I coukd not lift my leg on my own without my wife literally putting it in the car. As she was putting my walker in the trunk....well being the stubborn Irishman......I didn't want to wait and I yanked my leg in the car so I could close the door. John, I let out a screech that woke up the dead!! I saw stars and it set me back 5 full days, including interupted sleep. It was that bad.

We cannot force our bodies to do anything until it is ready because if you do, you will lose every time, not to mention the pain you can cause yourself. Be gentle with yourself, John! I know it's hard and it taxes our patience. However at the end of the day you wil! be glad you did! God bless you, bud.:ok:
 
I have just found I am not doing myself any favors when I try to speed up the process of recovery. For some reason it never works!:scratch: LOL!
 
is massage over the stiff hip/scar thigh area to be recommended after 10 weeks, considering that there was some cutting and stitching of the leg muscle under that scar?
 
Sure, you should be able to massage the area as long as the scar has healed. Start gently and slowly work up to any intensity. Obviously don't do anything that hurts or is uncomfortable.
 
I too have lots of stiffness.....and it's not always the hip...I've got terrible stiffness in my knee at the back if I push things too hard ( which we are all inclined to do).... I'm pretty much at the same level Ochaye...being 8 weeks post THR op. And very much agree that there is no support post op apart from this fabulous site. My surgeon told me to do the same exercise... Lying on non op side and lift operated leg up but have been reluctant to do so far...you were braver than me!! I'm just walking about a mile a day, housework and standing up exercises and bed ones. I'm hoping to start swimming too next week.
Let's hope the stiffness wears off xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Ooh....I just love Josephine's advice Ochaye........you do push yourself so hard. I know how you feel but I'm 8 weeks in and couldn't think of all that you are doing. As Jo keeps saying walking is very good so why not give the pushing up and take her excellent advice.....I am!,,


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Hi ochaye

I have merged your recovery threads into this one, this is your primary thread as we prefer to keep your recovery journey in the one thread for context.

Let me know if you would like the title of this thread changed :)

[Bonesmart.org] THR: my journey and outcome
​

​
​
 
Josephine

saw my surgeon today ,10 weeks post op, explained my worries about my stiffness and he conducted a physical test which he was more than happy with. He saw me prior to consultation walking in the corridor and remarked that I was looking/walking well.

he remarked that there was some muscle wastage prior to op and all my tendons and thingies had shrunk over the years and healing would be a slow process. (now where have I heard THAT before?) :)

I have the titanium stem, ceramic ball and plastic cup. I asked him how long I could expect before it wears out ( I knew of course the question could only be answered by a best guess estimate) but he replied the prosthetic would likely last 20 years or more but that I could wear out first!

I guess he was talking about the socket behind the cup in my pelvis?
I had no idea.I was not even aware of this until today. I was not expecting my own bone to thin out behind the cup, did I read him right?

"you could have 10, 15, 20 years, he said....we just don't have the data yet for the materials or people your age"
(I'm 58)

revisions here are 1 in 20,but my feelings on that statistic is that it is gathered from much older folk.

"walk around the house without the cane when you can (which I can now mange for short periods) but keep the cane handy for outside walks until the cold weather clears up" he advised

what light /info can you give me on the pelvis socket wearing out Jo? this is a new one on me, learning curve right enough :)

many thanks for your kind help, info and concern
John
 
^ CONNIPTION

"My OS would have a CONNIPTION if I were trying to do the stuff you are doing! Take Josephine's advice and SLOW DOWN!"

from Butterfly :)
 
Poppet
could you change my thread title please to the rather pretentious sounding...THR:my journey and outcome

many thanks :)
 
Poppet


yes thanks Dear......wee story for you from my meeting today with my surgeon...


I said to him that I had underestimated the recovery process and he replied that in time people forget about all the hardship and pain.it got me thinking about my wife's reply to the exact same comment I made to her when I said that I would probably not bother getting my other hip done due to the pain and hardship.....when she replied " it's just like all the Mothers out there who have said, NEVER AGAIN".....in time people forget about the pain........
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom