Guest viewing is limited

THR THR: my journey and outcome

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they call front hip flexor stretch.....to loosen up the front of my hip
 
Jamie

had a little bump on my 8 week old scar and a little scabbing and inflammation over the area, its very dry.

now a have an other small area of scabbing at the top of my scar, this scab TMK just appeared.
how to explain this next section.........? running most of the length of my scar was a little ridge ,a flap on skin resembling a piece of string that sat a little proud of the scar itself.it now appears to be "sinking" into the hip leaving a flat scar, good!

with all the talk of post op infections I really must stay ahead of the game and I don't mind admitting I am probably a little paranoid

after the 1st two weeks after surgery the scar looked great, no complications but now this little pocket of dry scab appears and the scar appears to be changing/perhaps healing, who knows

I really went OVER THE TOP last week with training and exercises and I feel as though I have set myself back 4/6 weeks, lot of pain...like week two all over again.

my point is if I had not gone and trained like a madman I would be concerned with the extra pain and scabs. I am so sure the pain is just from my eagerness to get well ASAP....we will NEVER learn, will we?

whaddya think Jamie, can an otherwise healthy looking scar go through these changes after a period of 8 weeks have passed

is a scab in itself an infection?

thanks for your time Jamie bro :)
 
A scab is a sign of healing almost completed. Remember when you used to graze your knee as a kid and then took a pernicious delight in picking off the scabs all the time? What was underneath it? Almost completely healed skin! Please don't worry about it. And yes, the excessive exercises might have roughed up a tender spot on your incision - or not. Who's to say? It matters not.

What's puzzling me is why you feel the need to "train like a madman". You do know - and I'm sure I've said this to you before - that hips really don't need a huge amount of exercising. They tend to get better all on their own so long as you do some moderate walking, not too brisk but not sauntering, and just ½ mile each day, meaning ¼ there and ¼ back! Should be plenty enough to get your hip muscles back in fine feckle!
 
thanks once again Jo :)

when I saw my beautifully formed scar after the 1st two weeks, clean dry and clear, I would never have imagined that it was to change as it "got better"

my hip is getter stronger, I can feel it, but yes I have been going at it like a madman....I am SORE this week and it is no doubt something to do with 45 minute speedwalk, about 90% of my max. that was for warm up, then came the strengthening exercises at home, then..... also last week was my first go at side lying abductions...boy those are hard.
feels like I have set myself back a few weeks, lesson learned thanks

plus I gave up all pain meds after one or two weeks. I am my own worst enemy

I will say one thing though Josephine.....THRS are one hellava learning curve

thanks again for your kindness and time sister

John
 
Okay, John.....am I going to need to come over there and duct tape you to your chair? :rotfl:

I guess you've had time now to reflect on your "overdoing it" and realize, "What the heck was I thinking?????" So, I'll be kind to you. We all overdo it at some point and have to regroup. So, just take things easy for a few days or even a week until you stop hurting. Jo's right and all you really need is just some regular walking at this EARLY point in your recovery. Remember, recovery is gradual over MONTHS (more than 2).

On the plus side, even with all that abuse, look how well your new hip performed! The pain is from soft tissue exertion. The joint is strong. Oh, and that scab thing? You are right. It's nothing to worry about. You're healing, my friend!!! And that's a good thing.
 
Josephine

I am at the worrying stage again. Frantic this time...

my post op 7 week PT check up went well,( about two weeks ago) I was feeling fine and other than some redness and swelling around the wound, no problems. The PT appeared pleased

as you may be aware I have had some problems in the past with overdoing things, side lying abductions and so on

but since seeing the PT my mobility in my hip seems to be going back the way. I had more mobility (range of movement in my hip) in post op week 3 than I do in week 9 (this week)

even sitting down in a normal size chair is now beginning to give me that tight ("something is not right") feeling in my hip....it is as if it is straining and pushing the prosthesis too far. weeks back, I was able with ease, to do some door squats (back against the wall and drop to a 90 degree angle and then slowly stand up) now it feels like I am pushing and straining the movement which I managed, all to easily, almost two months ago

I have read that this can be a result of DEEP PROSTHETIC JOINT INFECTION ....this gives me the chills. I don't think I could handle all this over again

my general practitioner (GP doc) prescribed me MIRTAZAPINE 15mg at night some time after the op and I came out in a lots of spots ,all through my scalp and face...I am reading the net and making my own conclusions......skin infections and so on....

is there anything I have said that concerns you regarding DEEP PROSTHETIC JOINT INFECTION ?

is there any light you can throw on the subject and tell me what you think I should do next?

PS at the start of my "poor" fortnight I decided to take a week off all outdoor exercise and have a lazy week in general to see if that would help, but alas, no difference really, I have no pain on walking but recently have felt quite stiff afterwards

depressed
 
Weeks back, I was able with ease, to do some door squats (back against the wall and drop to a 90 degree angle and then slowly stand up) now it feels like I am pushing and straining the movement which I managed, all to easily, almost two months ago
even sitting down in a normal size chair is now beginning to give me that tight ("something is not right") feeling in my hip....it is as if it is straining and pushing the prosthesis too far.
I think you have the answer here yourself. There is a direct 'cause and effect' in what is going on. Did you forget what I said to you much earlier in this thread?
Well, you really don't need to. Your hip will get better on it's own anyway. It really doesn't need a whole heap of exercises to get where it needs to be. Hips have a neat way of working all this out for themselves if given half a chance! :wink:
Obviously! It's really, really true. NO squats, NO slides. Just walking about - well, sauntering about actually - will get your hip up and running very well. And without all the things you've been doing that have actually just resulted in annoying your hip and making it painful!

From the symptoms you describe, you do not have a peri-prosthetic infection or anything like so chill our and let your hip do it's own thing!
 
Ah...stiffness....I am familiar with that. It's entirely possible, John, that during your crazy madman period you caused some tendinitis to start up. Tight IT bands make the legs very stiff. They can set off friction over the bursa causing bursitis. If this is happening, it helps to backtrack all the way back to early days......rest, ice, and yes....use some pain meds while you get past this. Walking is fine, but short walks....not marathons. Lots of rest. Gentle stretches, and self-massage the tight muscles in the legs. Check these articles...does this sound like you?

ITB (ilio-tibial band) issues and treatments
Trochanteric bursitis with THR

Sharon
 
Josephine

thanks for your swift reply and reassurance

I have been using this site broken link removed: https://www.wmt.com/hipsite/patients/postopex.asp
as a guideline to my progression post op

if you read through it you can see that they recommend pushing yourself that little bit harder as the weeks advance

"try to lift your operated leg past 90 degrees" is one goal they have set for instance
^ oh I am not sure where I got this quote from.......

I was out for a "saunter" today 20/30 min slooow walk and was quite stiff and painful afterwards, this has never been an issue before really and is what is scaring me,unfortunately it's my nature to think the worst ( peri-prosthetic infection )

Sharon, thanks Sharon) :) in the post above has posted some diagrams.....the red area in the diagram (which is of course my scar area) is where I am having some probs now, my mobility in this area has diminished over the past two weeks, raising my knee up or lowering myself into a chair,or low toilet seat, very much like the hardship experienced during the 1st week post op, is making this area feel very tight. If I lay off the harder work ethic for a while, should my original post op mobility return OK?

once again thanks for all your time and patience with me
John
 
bump for dear
Josephine

^ can I expect the stiffness/loss of range of motion, after a casual walk like this
see post above

many thanks
 
I have been using this site broken link removed: https://www.wmt.com/hipsite/patients/postopex.asp
as a guideline to my progression post op. if you read through it you can see that they recommend pushing yourself that little bit harder as the weeks advance
I think you know by now that this kind of approach is NOT one we advise on BoneSmart. For a start, hips really don't need anything much in the way of physio and have a neat way of sorting themselves out if given half a chance. It's far too aggressive in my opinion and will only set you back.
I am having some probs now, my mobility in this area has diminished over the past two weeks, raising my knee up or lowering myself into a chair,or low toilet seat, very much like the hardship experienced during the 1st week post op, is making this area feel very tight. If I lay off the harder work ethic for a while, should my original post op mobility return OK?
Exactly! Dump the stupid regime on that US site and stick with the BoneSmart way. You're only 9 weeks out and should still be going gently. Normal short walks and little else.
 
ochaye, stick with Bonesmart is my best advice...

I love practicing your username out aloud... It reminds this Aussie girl of her time spent in Scotland :) :)

Have I given you these links....

The following is a link to an article which provides some approximate timeframes around the healing phases and processes (and relevant nutritional information) for you to read.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

Cheers, Poppet.

Disclaimer: The information on dietary factors, foods, and beverages contained in these articles does not cover all possible uses, actions, precautions, side effects, and interactions. It is not intended as medical advice for individual problems. Liability for individual actions or omissions based upon the contents of this article is expressly disclaimed. Consult a doctor or other health care professional for diagnosis and treatment of all medical conditions including the taking of supplements.
 
Josephine

can I start an independent thread in the recovery area about STIFFNESS?

it's just that it would be lost as a post in my own initial thread and would achieve much more attention and interesting answers if it had it's own wee space...whaddya say?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom