Guest viewing is limited

THR THR: my journey and outcome

Status
Not open for further replies.
I pointed out that my right hip (good hip/unoperated) looked just as bad on the x-rays as the recently operated one...."ah, we treat the patient NOT the x-ray" he replied. I liked that comment
I like that comment too!!!

Sounds like you have a great therapist and I'm glad you now have some ercises to do to rebuild your muscles. However....walking is still THE BEST exercise for THR patients. So don't hesitate to do as much of that as you are comfortable doing.
 
I had epidural and my anethetist asked me how much I wanted to remember and I said absolutely nothing. So he gave me a pill and the last things I remember are being wheeled down the hospital corridor listening to "Carol of the Bells" on the radio and wanting to sing along as I'd been singing it four days earlier with my choir and then outside theatre asking the anethetist what was on his cap and it was spaceships so I asked if got one too and he said no, sorry you just get a boring paper one. The next thing I remember is in the recovery room. The back in my room I still have my cap on and one of the nurses asked what was on my cap and took it off to give to me. My anethetist had made a small spaceship from stickers and stuck it to my cap.
 
I was accidentally awake for most of my THR. I didn't ask for anything pre-op to calm me and I should have. Woke up and asked for more anaesthetic but they refused. :hissy: I wasn't worried as I spent hours researching the procedure and knew exactly what was going on. But you are right - it's major carpentry. I would not recommend staying awake.
 
Jamie
you would not believe the amount of joking that goes on during the op...as they were sawing the top of my leg off all I could hear was..."man, this saw is soooo blunt!" then a bunch of laughter.

one of the team kept speaking to me and reassuring all was well all through the op...he was an Angel, that's for sure
 
I was not awake during either my BTHR or shoulder replacement - thank GOD for that! But about 10 years ago I had arthroscopic knee surgery to repair torn meniscus and woke up about half way through the surgery. I startled the surgeon and his assistant by diving into their conversation. I don't remember what they were talking about but it was funny. Then I glanced up at the big monitor the surgeon was using to see what was going on in my knee. It looked like some weird alien space movie! With this little probe thing moving between underwater white mounds and scooping up pieces of stuff - sort of like underwater PacMan. When I realized it was the inside of my knee I decided I did not want to see any more so I went back to sleep - or maybe fainted I'm not sure. The surgeon did say that my blood pressure dropped during surgery but I don't know if that happened before, during, or after my wake up time. I wasn't upset about any of this ..... and actually found it to be quite interesting and amusing :)

As I was being wheeled in to the operating suite for my BTHR there was an area of the hallway with these big weird looking masks - looked like things out of a scifi bug-eyed monster movie. I asked the anesthesiologist as we were going into the suite if we were making an alien space movie today - and got the whole OR staff giggling.
 
pain and swelling in scar area after 8 weeks

still getting some pain and some hard swelling (feels solid underneath scar) TBH I notice it is worse if I am standing too long or overdoing the "recovery" exercises. It didn't help that I banged/scraped the scar on a corner unit in the kitchen last week...ouch!

can I expect this post op pain and swelling around and under the scar to last for a while yet?
PT saw the scar last week and said it looked "lovely" :)

many thanks

PS I ice the hip every night for 30 mins
 
Some people have swelling for quite a long period of time. It's just up to your body and how it reacts. At least you can pinpoint that overdoing things triggers more swelling.....a perfect reason for you to take things easy as long as possible.

Icing for just 30 minutes once a day really isn't getting you any real benefit, though. If you are having any swelling, keep icing (with a towel between the ice source and your skin) whenever you are not standing or moving around. It will work better the longer you ice.
 
oh something I forgot........you folks get tired at night?
I have not felt like this since I was a kid and played all day long outside in the summer time. Come night time I was shattered from all the schoolboy excitement of youth...I was a pleasant tiredness though.

now, come 11pm,and my eyes are closing :)
 
SURE!!! Fatigue is definitely a part of the recovery process. It takes a lot of energy for the healing process. Add in the movements or exercises you do and you have all the elements to make you pooped by day's end. Plus....for at least several weeks after surgery, your body is still dealing with the effects of the anesthetic and pain meds.
 
DEAR MODS

I banged my 8 week old scar on a cabinet corner and a tiny little part of the scar ,about the size of 4 x staple holes, has scabbed over and looks a little inflamed around that area.
I have read so much about the threat of infection ,is this something I should be worried about?

sometimes my WHOLE scar can look red and inflamed and more painful than usual but I think I have made the connection that the pain and inflammation comes after overdoing the exercise, would that be normal/expected for a THR scar....any pain I have left these days is all under or very near the scar

thanks for your time
John
 
oh PS...would I continue to ice the scar considering the presence of the scab?
 
John, sorry we missed your message yesterday. When you have a question you are this concerned about, it might be helpful to tag Josephine, me, Bottomshollow or Jaycey (or another member of staff) so that we receive an alert. To tag someone, place the "at sign" @ in front of their username with no space. When you make the post, their username will turn blue and underline and that tells you that you've successfully made the tag. Like this:

Jamie

Since you know you banged the scar, that's a pretty good indication that you have nothing to worry about with a slight scabbing. You most likely just damaged some of those tender tissues and that's why you have a scab. Keep an eye on it and make sure it continues to improve throughout the next few days or a week.

This happens frequently, so you're not alone in having a bit of a bump. It's okay to ice while the scab is healing, just be sure you have a towel between your skin and the ice source so that moisture stays away from the area. You want to keep it dry.
 
JO
could you have a look at post 15 for me please in the "red mark" post....any ideas?
thank you:)

Josephine
 
Sorry, I can't see any reference to red marks, ochaye. Can you post the infor again, please?
 
sorry for the confusion Jo......I meant do you have any tips/answer for my post number 15 in this thread?

thanks again
 
You mean this post? Would you like to give me an actual question about it? Perhaps I've taken stupid pills today but I don't understand what you're asking of me. :sad:
7 weeks post THR

imagine if you will that you are lying down on your back on a weight lifting bench with both feet flat on the ground. Before my op I could not get the foot/heel of my "bad" leg flat on the ground due to what felt like a tightness in the front of my hip. Since the op, I have recently started some light weight exercises on the bench, and both feet flat on the ground is no problem this time around, but I feel it could be a little better...just a little.

of course I understand it is still early days but a nice gentle stretch exercise for the front of my hip (if that is indeed the problem regarding this issue) would be nice to add to my collection

I should add that I have a slight kyphosis courtesy of ankylosing spondylitis but the bench flyes and lifting have kept this to a minimum IMO

John
 
:doh: Thanks Judy!
I banged my 8 week old scar on a cabinet corner and a tiny little part of the scar, about the size of 4 x staple holes, has scabbed over and looks a little inflamed around that area.
I have read so much about the threat of infection. Is this something I should be worried about?
Nothing at all to worry about.
sometimes my WHOLE scar can look red and inflamed and more painful than usual but I think I have made the connection that the pain and inflammation comes after overdoing the exercise, would that be normal/expected for a THR scar
Neither is this.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom