THR THR: my journey and outcome

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was manic about the 90 degree rule but 9 weeks in find myself forgetting about it Ochaye. Using the Golfers Reach when I need to.....but I'm sure it's something my brain will gradually let go of.....mmmmm. Don't think I will be doing that yoga pose though...May never get up from it!,, Yep...shops were manic.....people everywhere. Xmas is nearly here...yippee!! Cheers Chrissie xxxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Josephine

do you watch STRICTLY COME DANCING, the TV prog at all?

well there is a Judge on there, Craig, the cheeky one, (48) who had a THR 4 weeks ago.
well the dude just danced and pivoted his way across the dance floor, minus the cane of course, and practically summersaulted his way into his seat tonight .....and I'VE been in too much of a hurry to get fit! what gives here?

4 weeks and he is brand new?

the games a boggie.I'm not playin' anymore :)

PS I don't watch the show.....the wife shouted me in to see it. I was in the other room watching re runs of LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRAIRIE :)
 
I'd like to see that ochaye - I am with you my good friend... Re-runs of little house on the prairie sounds much more fun :)
 
I will attempt to answer my own question here and Jo can put me right.....

I have observed that some folk are shocked to discover that their Doc has suggested a THR to them, and the sooner the better in some cases. This suggests to me that Craig, from "strictly" and others, have not been in a great deal of pain for years and the onset of disease has been quite rapid and therefore less damaging.

in Craig's case he is/was a dancer and very likely in great condition. Plus he has probably not suffered, to any great degree, loss of tendon length/muscle wastage and so forth......and he obviously went PRIVATE

well that's my 2 cents
Doc John Ochaye the noo
 
.and he obviously went PRIVATE
Well of course! I am also very cross with him as he set an awful example to others being back on the show within days of his surgery and now that - didn't watch it, btw. Can't stand 'Strictly'! Or any of the others like BGT or similar shows. And if he did such a stunt, then I'll warrant he was drugged up to the eyeballs! And that's even more of a terrible example to set others. He's just showing off. Bet he suffers for it tomorrow!
 
Well.....Craig on Strictly did not have THR he had hip resurfacing which I understand has a much quicker recovery period.....I'm not sure how long.
Still think it was too soon for all that jumping about....plus he is only 48! Chrissie xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
sure about the resurfacing Hoppy?
that would explain a lot


but......https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture...ncing-after-hip-replacement-two-days-ago.html


then again the Mail says resurfacing

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...-Revel-Horwood-hip-operation-like-active.html

from the above article,

Hip resurfacing has been a revolution for active younger people and professional athletes with worn joints, says Professor Cobb, who's also chairman in orthopaedic surgery at Imperial College London. 'Ordinary hip replacements - usually made of metal and plastic, or sometimes with ceramic bearings for longer life - are incredibly effective for older people who are principally pedestrians,' he says.

pedestrian? PEDESTRIAN? PEDESTRIAN?

I have researched resurfacing of course, and I ain't no expert, but resurfacing is not all it is cracked up to be.....they say


A.Sloth










PS that's us got a Hoppy and a Poppy :)
 
Yep Ochaye...it's the Daily Mail article I read......I know I saw that reference to 'pedestrian older people'...favouring THR rather than resurfacing. What a cheek. But the article says that he will more than likely have to have a THR in the future. Thought it was rather a showing off exercise for him on strictly.....just as well he didn't slip over.......all the surgeons work would have been undone....!! I'll go back to my 'pedestrian' life now. Just trying to get some sleep..seems to be alluding me tonight!!
Ps...It's my grand kids that call me Hoppy nanny xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
post op 12 weeks on Tues.........find myself forgetting my cane and walking around the house and not noticing......

walked up a flight of about 24 steep steps tonight with no bother, and no cane or hand rail. it's all coming together and I am very pleased. I shall push myself a little harder, just a little, over the next 3 months, nothing heroic, just a wee leg up into my second phase. I have my own imaginary phases/landmarks

6 weeks
3 months
6 months
1 year

now that 3 months is here I shall try some bodyweight "squats". well not squats as such ,more like getting up from a low chair using only my thigh muscles. gotta lose that chicken leg look :)

..and at six months, all being well, I shall incorporate some weights into my exercises for my legs. talked this over with my surgeon and he said HACKS were fine at six months.

I also plan to use some of these exercise bands for my hips and legs but the rubber smell from them is simply dreadful. maybe Santa will bring me a set :)

I hear some bad weather is on it's way to Scotland so I will continue to use the cane for safety but at some point I am gonna HAVE to give it up. I am also going to have to re-educate myself into not limping, it's become a habit.
I also notice at night in bed that I have a habit of tensing my operated hip and leg......some habits are so hard to let go........
 
ochaye Glad you are doing well and that your envisaged plans are coming together. I too, at 9 weeks , am having trouble with a limp...my physio says that my operated leg is 1.5cms shorter than the other so seeing a podiatrist....I do wonder though if it's just my brain not allowing me to let go of the one crutch..hey ho. I'm not in pain and can walk quite well and for a good time so will hope it sorts itself out. Hood luck for your next goals. Cheers Chrissie xx



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Hoppy Nanny

Chrissie

9 weeks is early but try walking as slooooow as you can with heel down first, on both feet of course, followed by ball of foot and don't lose concentration , helps wonders with losing the limp
 
Catching up on you, ochaye and glad that you sound more cheerful! We all just keep plodding on, events in Glasgow and the train crash in New York serve to remind us how fragile life can be. My prayers are with all those involved and their families.
Thinking of your little milestones, two of mine were being able to put on my own socks and shoes - about 12 weeks out - and starting back at Yoga (a gentle class!) in September. The tutor Marie lets us work to our own limits/judgement and only once has said "don't try this" to me - a strong twist posture. I have never been able to sit right back on my heels and as Marie's mantra is "be kind to yourself" I'm not going to force things to try the pose you asked about! I watched my 5 yr-old granddaughter sit just like that earlier to play with toys on the floor (and jump up in one easy movement when Daddy arrived!) and thought about how to encourage her to keep that flexibility.
I still limp a bit but that's more to do with OS in my feet and knee, especially when I'm tired and I lose concentration. I've also been feeling the cold this last week in that hip, thermal longjohns would be useful - very glamorous :heehee: ! Don't know which bit of Scotland you are in, but looks like you are going to get colder than us in SE England in the next few days.
Keep warm and look after yourself
Anne
 
I resumed dancing after my first THR at 2 months....at a slow and careful rate. This guy you're describing....yeah, drugged to the hilt.

Hoppy Nanny LLD is a very common perception among hippies, and the prevailing wisdom around here is to give it at least 4-6 months before going the lift route. See what your podiatrist thinks, but please run it by some folks around here before making any decisions. 9 weeks is really VERY early in the game. Jamie and Jaycey can explain it a whole lot better than I can.
Leg length differential - LLD
 
@sharonsip. Thank you honey....I'm going to defer to the advice given here on BS and wait to get shoe built up....it makes so much more sense...thanks so much. Best wishes Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Nannyannie. Your description of your 5 year old granddaughter and her flexibility rang a bell with me....my grand kids come round and bend and twist and I think I can't remember a time now when I could do that! I've got serious envy!! Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Josephine

hi Jo
very happy with my new hip. I am 12 weeks in and doing fine, thanks.
I understand about the ninety degree rule and how it can be relaxed somewhat whenever the appropriate time has passed .I can get my hip a little passed the 90 then it becomes stiff and of course I don't want to push things too hard at this early stage.

am I right in thinking that the new hip and materials have nothing to do with this limited range of motion, but it is the wasted muscles and shrunken tendons that limits the new hip being as agile as the "real" one?

I am aware that it will NEVER be as good as the unoperated hip, but with gentle and constant coaxing, will I in due course,be able to increase my range of motion in my shiny new hip?

Josephine, thanks for all your help, and that goes to your MODS and volunteers too, and may I be amongst the first to wish you all a merry xmas. your website has been a God send

all the best for the new year
John

xxx
 
am I right in thinking that the new hip and materials have nothing to do with this limited range of motion, but it is the wasted muscles and shrunken tendons that limits the new hip being as agile as the "real" one?
Absolutely spot on, me old darlin'!
I am aware that it will NEVER be as good as the unoperated hip
Oh I wouldn't say that. These folk have given the lie to that!

[Bonesmart.org] THR: my journey and outcome


Wayne Sleep at 12 weeks
[Bonesmart.org] THR: my journey and outcome


may I be amongst the first to wish you all a merry xmas. your website has been a God send
Why thank you! and the same to you. Your closing comment is the best Christmas present I could wish for!
 
Josephine

Jo how long does it take the bone to make a little secure connection to the cup socket in a cementless THR?

I guess because I am an "old timer" (59 in Jan) it will take longer , yeah?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom