Guest viewing is limited

THR THR: my journey and outcome

Status
Not open for further replies.
So very true ochaye us women forget quickly when we have the new born..

Same for us joint replacement folk.. to return my story.. I have always considered my whole experience as surreal and that my wonderful surgeon opened me up and decided it didn't need replacing, so just sewed me back up.. I said to him one day... That can't be my x-ray, my hip feels so normal.. I have the most fabulous surgeon with a great sense of humor.. He will have the privilege of doing my second hip. :)

Cheers.
 
Oh goodness... So true. After my first child I vowed ..never again..but of course I did! And yes my other hip will need doing yo and at this moment I can't even contemplate it...right with you! X


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Poppet...you are so lucky to choose your surgeon...in the UK we get who we get.....unless we go private and unfortunately for most it's not on the agenda!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Josephine

Jo what can you tell me about Osteolysis as mentioned in my post number 74?

how can a surgeon determine how long before osteolysis makes a revision necessary?

thank you
John
 
I asked him how long I could expect before it wears out (I knew of course the question could only be answered by a best guess estimate) but he replied the prosthetic would likely last 20 years or more but that I could wear out first! I guess he was talking about the socket behind the cup in my pelvis? I had no idea. I was not even aware of this until today. I was not expecting my own bone to thin out behind the cup. Did I read him right?
No you didn't read him right and you're inventing things to worry about! He literally meant YOU could wear out (die) first! He was being vague because so far as we can thus far tell, these current implants will last a lifetime! Truly. In 'the trade' they are using the term 'the forever hip'.
 
Wow....that is such a relief to hear...a forever hip!!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
d10 weeks post op, cementless hip, and I am now doing steep stairs up/down with no cane. well pleased

truth is though I am having a hard time with anxiety/depression.....I think the realisation of just how bad/diseased I was with OA and ankylosing spondylitis is just hitting me and taking the shine off my pain free condition,(as it is now around my hip,) and my achievements in my recovery so far.i've had AS 38 years and the OA in my hips 8/10 years

8 years or so, very, very painful and debilitating for most of the time, with a mood to match......"I think you are suffering form pain related depression" says my Doc to me last year

I always somehow thought I could "walk it off" (the OA) and I did for many years, until I could stand it no longer
at times I was almost house bound for months at a time. foolish of me to suffer so long, and I have a lovely wife who suffered with me, with my many moods and periods, of what I call, my selfishness periods. periods where all I could think of was myself and my pain. Sorry if I am getting heavy on you all.as I said, I'm a little down......

my plan all along was ....timing......if I could only wait until I was a little older maybe one op would suffice, rather than the prospect of a revision.

maybe if I could come to terms with who I am and what I suffer from and learn to accept the hand I was dealt I could learn to be a happier and more content person.

what a laugh...I met my brother in law two days ago and he tells me the Doc says he has "wear and tear" in his neck, he has had this condition for a month or so and he tells me he is in a foul mood for most of the day with the pain...."I'm so crabbit" he says. Well that puts things into perspective for me

the point to this rant? well there may be none.....but if you are a hurtin' and a hurtin' enough to be hurtin' those you love ,maybe it's time to see that Doc about your pain and get something done about it.

whilst I am on the subject of leggies.......do most folk lose their limp eventually?

anyone else on the forum got the dreaded ank spon?
 
Oh dear, you have got the blues bad - but that is normal! People who have never suffered extreme pain do not realise how much it drains you, "pain related depression" sounds familiar to many of us. Put major surgery on top and why are we surprised? Give yourself time - :heehee: <that is my husband sniggering because I am the most impatient ever, I want to be better now!
Many of my family have arthritis type problems, RA or OA and my brother has AS. Dad had a hip done at 78 (lasted him till he passed away earlier this year at 93) and Mum had a knee replaced - no hope for me, then! It will be my 1st anniversary on Tuesday and it is amazing to think I was in a wheelchair this time last year due to pain from my hip. I am not 100% mobile now but that is because of OA in my knee and foot, I will not be afraid of surgery if offered more bionic bits!
Do read the info given on here in the library and be kind to yourself!
Regards, Anne
 
thanks very much Anne you are so kind

glad you are up and about and good luck wae the future :)
 
Josephine

Dear Mods
may I be bold enough to suggest an additional section similar to the chat room (which is for unrelated BONESMART topics) for miscellaneous chit chat relating to problems encountered with our ops and problems.

problems such as stiffness ( post op) for example or depression ( post op).there are many, many, sub topics related to the hip or knee operations that are lost in the depth of an individuals ever growing recovery thread that deserve more attention and discussion.

a simple post in this section could be direct to the point about the merits of either a general or epidural, (as experienced by the patients themselves) important questions could be raised for ALL to see and to respond to, that would be otherwise lost in a thread that no one is likely to read anymore, let alone reply to.

this is a very good site and been very helpful and kind to me, and thank you for that,but a "free" posting section where the "lets keep everything you have to say in the one post/thread rule" does not apply, may be a benefit to many of your readers/posters

oh yeah, another subject springs to mind.......Tramadol and co. Patients could be warned about the habit forming nature of this drug and how to wean themselves off it if they have been on the drug for some time. All it takes is two very short weeks on Tramadol and a patient will suffer mild to moderate withdrawal symptoms. the medication, as I am sure you will agree, is very important post op and a place or thread where readers could swap/bring up their stories would be very helpful,methinks
 
Sorry Ochaye that you are feeling blue......I think that we all put off the op for so long, in terrible pain ( mine down to sheer cowardice) get depressed and low and then once we've had the op expect to be normal in a very short timescale... Must say I've had some awful days since op.....spent the whole day
Snivelling and driving my lovely, lovely hubby mad. Ive worried about every little pain. I too have had the tightening feelings and at 8 weeks still cannot walk too far without limping.......I'm sure, in time it will go.....so....you are not alone think everyone gets down at some stage in their recovery.
I've got the other hip to have done but am not rushing into that at the mo.....just concentrating on getting over this one. But .....try to remember that
Terrible pre op spin and then I'm thankful for the op. Sending you all the best wishes xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
but a "free" posting section where the "lets keep everything you have to say in the one post/thread rule" does not apply
We already do allow generic topics in a separate thread. We only ask that posts concerning your own recovery be kept to your recovery thread as I do not have the time to be scooting about the forum trying to find previous threads for your recovery story when you as me a specific question!
Tramadol and co. Patients could be warned about the habit forming nature of this drug and how to wean themselves off it if they have been on the drug for some time.
But that applies to every prescription drug on the list which is huge. And we have an article in the Library about a 'weaning off' programme. Weaning off pain medication.
 
Hi ochaye, sorry you have the post op blues.. It is actually a recognized post surgical condition, so you are not alone, we all suffer it to some degree... Time to focus on the future now my good friend, you are doing so well and there is a whole new life out there just waiting for you ... Hugs from down under
 
Josephine

is this yoga pose OK ya think for 12 week post op?

https://www.yogajournal.com/poses/490

another question for you Jo........I am aware that my nice new hip will never be as good as a "real/proper" hip but it is sooooo much better than my old one ,and more mobile/flexible.

I can feel when I stretch or exercise, the limitations in my new hip, but am I right in thinking that these limitations are due to the shortened ligaments and/or weak and wasted muscles rather than any limitations from my nice new shiny hip?

there is about 8 years of damage around my "bad hip" before I took the plunge


soon be Xmas :) :) :)
 
I am aware that my nice new hip will never be as good as a "real/proper" hip
Whatever gave you that idea? The general expectation now is for a 'forgotten hip' by the end of 12 months. However ...
there is about 8 years of damage around my "bad hip" before I took the plunge
... one can never expect that much damage to be rectified in 12 short weeks! So the question regarding your yoga pose is - try it and see! This member did but she was 6 months out at the time!

[Bonesmart.org] THR: my journey and outcome
 
is the ninety degree rule forever or just the 1st 3 to 6 months?

man the shops were busy today....must be that USA black Fri thing

bought myself CATCH 22 to occupy my heid
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom