THR THR 3 weeks out

Well, she would not do it for my hip, so I doubt she would do it for my knee. Thanks for your input.
 
Eman85
Thanks for responding. I guess I was a little naive going into this. Everyone kept telling me the hip replacement was a “piece of cake. So I was shocked to see that in fact it wasn’t. Especially because I have an arthritic knee which is severely misaligned on the same leg. Thinking about going through this again in 6 months makes me want to rethink everything.
If you read posts you'll see this repeated time and time again. Everyone that;s never had a THR but has a friend or relative that had it done will tell you what a piece of cake it is. They;ll tell you how you'll be up and walking right away. And they'll make you doubt your recovery and feel bad about your progress. Even health care professionals and PT's have the same "attitude", but of course they've never had it done to them. That's what's different on this forum, we've had it done and can speak from experience.
 
Hi :wave: Happy Monday!
I hope you had a nice walk outside yesterday. Being stuck in the house due to rain gets old!
Wishing you the best for the week as you continue to move through recovery.
@smokey1
 
Thanks, Layla
Unfortunately , it rain ☔️ most of the day. The knee has been the vocal point of my pain the last few days. I know I have an arthritic knee that will need to be replaced, but I don’t understand why it is worse now than before my hip surgery 4 weeks ago. Should I walk more., special knee stretches , etc? The knee is on the wounded leg. Appreciate any ideas.
 
Hi, Happy Monday to you!
The knee can be manipulated very aggressively during the dislocation process.
I know this sounds crude, but I always envision it as similar to when you cut up a whole chicken and you have to get aggressive to separate the leg, from the thigh.....Ugh! I told you...crude.
I'll bet that's why it's bothering you more than before. It's a very common complaint, I experienced it myself along with some considerable bruising a couple weeks out. Ice it diligently with all else that is painful or swollen. It will gradually ease.
A great week to you!
@smokey1
 
Thanks, Layla
Hi will try to keep that in mind . I am wondering if I should continue walking every hour during the day and skip the Pt exercises that hurt my knee. Like leg raises and side leg raises, until I see my Pt this week. I think they are going to discharge me this week and then I don’t know if I should push for outside PT from my surgeon when I see him next week.
 
Read more posts, we almost all have knee pain post op. Do yourself a favor and take it easy, it's going to be a long ride. Ice the knee along with your hip. The icing is a long term deal too. Getting up and walking is what you should be doing, if doing leg raises hurts, don't do them. I don't know what timeline your OS gave you but you'll see from posts on here you're just beginning to heal and every time you over do you set yourself back. 6 weeks is usually a happy time but still a ways from fully healed. 3 mos usually brings some normalcy. but still recovering.
 
Thanks, Eman85,
Your response was very helpful. I guess I believed my
PT’s when they said at 4 weeks I would see a big difference. They are ready to sign me off this week, even with the knee pain. I still can’t walk normally up the stairs (16!of them) I will ease up on knee lifts and stick to walking , icing and resting. Thanks for your advice. BTW. I like your car.
 
Well, another day and my knee is getting worse. This knee is on my rt hip replacement leg. I am already slated for knee replacement in the spring, I also have patellar tracking disorder and I think I may have experienced a patellar subluxation. I have had one before. Should I call my surgeon ‘s office tomorrow?
I am in a lot of pain.
 
Hi, again
Thanks fir your responses so far . They have been reassuring and helpful. Quick question . I had staples on my wound And were taken out two weeks later. Out of the 15 staples, 7 were tightly wrapped around scar tissue. Needless to say it was very painful for me as the nurse took them out.
How many of you had staples versus glue or stitches? Having my knee done in 6 months and would like to look at differed options.
Thanks.
@smokey1
I had dissolvable stitches although they said I would probably need the knotted ends removing. The nurse came after 2 weeks to remove the remnants and it had all gone. She just checked that everything looked OK and left. I would be happy to have the dissolvable stitches again
 
Hi @smokey1
Yes, If your knee is getting worse and you're in a lot of pain, I would call the office of your OS. It can't hurt. I'm sure through a series of questions they'll either offer you reassurance, or have you come in to check it out and possibly x-ray it. Ice it in the meantime for no less than 40-60 mins, several times daily.
Wishing you comfort. Let us know what you hear....
 
Having a history of a bad knee I'd say call your OS and get their opinion. My knee would have a burning sensation especially after walking uphill or up stairs. The muscles from your beltline run down the thigh and end at the knee. When they get upset you will have pain in the knee.
I didn't have any staples or stitches on the surface, I had a clear tape over the incision.
You'll see big improvements along the way and then periods of no improvement when you expect it or a set back. Over doing will set you back but you will bounce back with rest ice and patience.
 
Hi, just had my my right hip replaced 4 weeks ago. The hip recovery is going fine, but about 4 days I heard some popping around my knee cap on my right leg and also some buckling.
It feels like I might have partially dislocated my knee.

I am slated to have right knee replacement in the spring and I have been diagnosed with patellar tracking syndrome before. Not seeing my surgeon for another 5 days . Do you think this is because of the hip replacement or part of the existing knee problem.

I can walk on the knee and bend it but it is quite painful. Should I discontinue PT for now?
 
@smokey1 you will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. If you would like a new thread title just give a shout.

I would definitely stop any PT and rest as much as you can. I hope this eases for you soon!
 
I am trying to keep it on thread but am having difficulty. Thanks I know that is the protocol. You still did not answer many of my questions.
 
It feels like I might have partially dislocated my knee. I am slated to have rt knee replacement in the spring and I have been diagnosed with Patellar Tracking Syndrome before. Not seeing my Surgeon for another 5 days . Do you think this is because of the hip replacement or part of the existing knee problem. I can walk on the knee and bend it but it is quite painful . Should I discontinue PT for now?

I certainly would stop the PT?
I'll tag @Josephine for you, our nurse director...maybe she can help answer those questions.
Not familiar with Patellar Tracking Syndrome

Sure do hope things ease for you soon!
 
Thank you, Mojo33. I hope I hear back from Josephine soon. I appreciate your kind thoughts and help
 
And here I am!
Do you think this is because of the hip replacement or part of the existing knee problem.
Do you mean is the patellar tracking issue caused by your hip? Absolutely not!
Should I discontinue PT for now?
Always! I'm a strong believer that PT (which I also call exercises!) is not good for TKR.
 
A Belated Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well.
Warm wishes for a great Sunday and wonderful week to come! :SUNsmile:
@smokey1
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom