THR THR 3 weeks out

Thank you . Hip is doing well!
 
Has anybody been suffering from nerve pain ?It started in week 5 and still bothering me in week 7 since hip replacement. Pins and needles and pain on top of thigh and around the new hip area. It keeps me awake most nights and bothers me during the day. I was feeling better two weeks ago. I still can’t walk normally up the stairs without holding on the railing and even then it hurts . Anybody have this similar experience?
 
Have you started any new activity or increased your activity level? Lifted or pushed anything heavy lately? Are you taking any pain medication for this new pain? Icing?
 
No, I haven’t started any new activity but have increased my activity level , as far as daily house duties but nothing drastic. Went to a few stores for an hour.? Just Advil for pain and I am faithful about icing.
 
I had spinal rthr 10/11. Itchy as it wore off and some probs first night getting bladder to work agsin but it did eventually settle.
Also had staples taken out today...no probs really and suprised as not as uncomfortable as stitches.
Think am doing ok and not as bad as i thought it would be but good pain relief given.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.
 
:wave:I had pronounced numbness and then as it subsided... the prickles, zings and zaps...
I don't think it was quite as intense as you describe, but very disconcerting nonetheless.
Mine got less and less through month four or so...even had some numbness on up to month six.
I was beginning to worry if this was to be permanent...but it is perfectly fine now.
 
Thank you for your words of encouragement. Mojo333. This is my seventh week, I guess I was surprised because I didn’t have the nerve pain in the first 4 weeks. Did you have numbness and pain from the beginning?
 
Numbness...yes...not really sure I noticed it for a bit as I was an icing fiend!
The electrical type prickles came about after some weeks, I assume as numbness was dissipating.
 
Hi there :wave: Happy Monday to you and Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope your nerve pain is easing and you've been able to get some restorative rest.
Josephine has been away from the forum which may cause her some catch-up.
You are on her list and I'm sure you'll hear from her soon.
Wishing you comfort and a great week ahead.
@smokey1
 
I had glue for my tkr---I was horrified by the way the staples looked!! I think glue is so much easier, nothing to "catch" on your pants and you can shower right away.
 
Hi, Layla
Thanks for getting back to me. Unfortunately, I still nerve pain In my upper thigh and lower buttocks, MyPT thinks it’s sciatica along with hip replacement nerve damage because I have pain in lower buttocks on both sides. My Primary Care Doctor Gave me a anti inflammatory shot and a prescription of predesone. I am afraid to take the steroids and have read it doesn’t usually help anyway.
 
Aww, I'm so sorry. Please hang tight and see what Josephine has to add.
Maybe others who've experienced the same will stop by with their thoughts.
I hope you find some relief soon.
Hugs
@smokey1
 
Smokey1, a friend had the same symptoms of sciatica after his hip replacement (a revision). It started something like a month post-op, and it was incredibly painful—but did go away eventually.
 
Hi. I am 4 weeks in and yes have up and down days. Helps being on here to realise this is normal and also staying with mum of 88 at the moment which helps remind me I will move on from where I am.
Good lesson in patience though not a piece of cake ....
 
Thanks, Otisbeagle
Did your friend say how long it took to go away and if he or she did any PT at that time?
 
@smokey1 ... you might speak with your GP about trying Gabapentin to address the nerve pain you're experiencing. If the problem is sciatica, some targeted physical therapy may help as well if you can get signed up for some sessions with a good PT who understands the problem. Stretches and strengthening your core muscles can make a difference. Please don't be afraid to use the steroids your GP gave you. If it is irritated nerves, this can calm things down and allow you to heal.
 
Thank you, Jamie for your encouraging words. I have heard of that drug, Gabapetin . I am getting PT and she is giving me exercises to go for the nerve problem. I seem to go up and down with the pain. Friday I thought I was turning the corner and then Saturday, started to feel the sciatica again and today my thigh hurts badly every time I walk . I am not sure if it is nerve or muscle pain. Maybe I will try the steroids if I do not have consistent improvement. I thought I would be fine by now. It has been two months.
 
Smokey1, I’ll have to ask about whether my friend did PT, but I believe it took a few months to go away entirely (sorry to say). This friend has rheumatoid arthritis, leading to two new hips PLUS two revisions. So he may be an extreme case. Today he’s back to adventurous travel, cycling, hiking and a bit of tennis!!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom