THR THR 3 weeks out

I had a total rt hip replacement Oct 10. Th past five weeks I have been dealing with nerve pain from the surgical leg and also Sciatica on both legs and lower back. Nine weeks out and still something comes up every week that causes me more pain. Now, I am suffering from shin splints on my surgical leg. I am not over exercising, just going to PT twice a week and walking when I can. Anybody experiencing similar problems from hip replacement?
 
So sorry you are going through this. I don't know how to answer this. Have you started a thread in the Hip Replacement area? I'm sure there are many there to answer your questions. Hope you feel better soon. Hip or knee replacement surgery can be very hard to deal with.
 
@smokey1 I moved your recent post to your own recovery thread. It was off topic in the thread where it was posted. That thread was about @MEPil and her knee replacement. I'm sure you'll get better responses to your questions here.
 
@smokey1 sorry to hear about your pain.
What does PT think...what do you do when you go ? Are you on pain meds ?
I am five weeks out and have developed back shoulder and hand pain but think this is crutch related and restrictions.
At your stage though maybe need to speak to someone...
Wish you relief soon
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope all is going well for you.
Please leave an update next time you stop by, we'd love to read of your progress.
A great 2019 to you!
@smokey1
 
Hi, Layla
Thank you for your kind words. I can’t believe it’s brfn three months! Well, as far as my new hip goes , everything is fine. Unfortunately , I am still suffering from Sciatica. I have had it for over a month. I have been told this can happen after joint replacement. I am going to physical therapy and just recently back to the pool. I am hoping for some improvement soon. It’s been quite a journey.Happy New Yearsnd hope you are well.
 
@smokey1 My sciatica reared it's ugly head post my first THR. I worked with a PT who was a spine specialist. He did deep massage as many of the muscles around the sciatic nerve were very tight. I also saw an osteopath who did a few adjustments to my spine and acupuncture. Hope you can get some relief soon - sciatica is a bear!
 
Hi, Jacey
Thanks for sharing your story . May I ask how long you had the sciatica and if you had any spine conditions ? I have arthritis and bone spurs, bulging discs, tethered chord to name a few! Lol! I guess I would have to see if I am a candidate for acupuncture and spine manipulation! Thanks again for your insight!
 
I have had years of lower back issues including Spondylolisthesis, degenerative discs, spinal stenosis and had spinal decompression surgery for my sciatica in 2007. Unfortunately I took NSAIDs for the pain for too many years. I had no problem with my sciatica post RTHR. But I waited many years before having my first THR - which does impact all the other areas of your body while you are limping around.
 
Wow, we have a lot in common! Can you tell me how long before your Sciatica problem was resolved?
 
I'm sorry you're struggling with sciatica.
I hope the physical therapy and swimming bring you some relief soon.
Let's hope 2019 is a year of healing for you.
@smokey1
 
Can you tell me how long before your Sciatica problem was resolved?
It wasn't resolved I'm afraid. The surgery was done to address intense leg pain when walking. That did work but I will always have lower back pain and deal with it daily. My strategy is now "keep moving". Core stability work does help as well.
 
Thank you for your candor, Jacey. I am sorry you have to continue to have lower back pain, but am glad you were able to resolve your leg pain with surgery. Just curious, do you take gabapetin for you spinal stenosis?
 
No problem smokey1. Plenty of our members also suffer from spinal issues. Our discussion might just help someone seek help with their discomfort.
do you take gabapentin for you spinal stenosis
No - I took it just post RTHR and that was the first time in years I had no back pain. But they refused to give it to me when I was discharged. I think it is tough to get is prescribed here. Due to issues with my heart (congenital) I can't take any NSAIDs so have just stopped taking any pain medication for my back.
 
Wow, you are one tough woman! I guess you are very adaptable and are making the best of it. I applaud you. I am not there yet. I keep hoping the Sciatica will go away before I have my rt. knee replaced in the summer.
 
Have you done any core stability work (PT)? It does work. You need a PT who specialises in spine issues. I had (literally) years of spinal PT.

Don't think I am tough - more stubborn. I am stiff and mornings are the worst time for me. I usually take 2 Tylenol before going out to do all my chores in the early morning.

Have you tried any hamstring stretches from a seated position. I bring my leg straight out in front and pull toes toward the nose with my chin pulled down to my chest. This stretches the sciatic area and frees it a bit. Start very slowly and gently as your hamstring is probably tight. I do these frequently - especially if I am sitting for any length of time. My spinal PT gave me this exercise years ago.
 
Happy Four Month Anniversary!
Wondering how you're doing over the past month.
Hopefully your sciatica has eased and your knee isn't causing you great discomfort.
Let us know how you're doing when you have time. We care.
Hope 2019 brings many blessings!
@smokey1
 
I hope you are doing better with the sciatica. Of all of the pains I had before my back surgery about 10 years ago, and my hip surgery in August, the worst pain of all was the sciatica.

Like Jaycee, I did have spinal decompression surgery 10 years ago which relieved the sciatica, but still have some bulging disks, and narrowing that produce some back pain. Not as severe as Jayee's it sounds like, but still present, and every time I garden, lift, or do a lot of bending/housework, I feel it.

However, none of that pain is anywhere near as debilitating as trying to teach, walk, or live with sciatica, in my opinion. I am so hopeful you are getting some relief.

One exercise I did that helped a lot with sciatica was to lie on my back and lift one leg straight up--hold 15-30 seconds, and then do the same with the other. I know you can look it up online for more info/details.

Good luck!
 
Thank you, Ladies
Sorry it took me a month to get back to you, and now it has been 5 months since my rt hip replacement. Well, unfortunately my sciatica is still here . It moves around from my buttocks to my lowe back and spine. I did try the Prednisone for 6 days and it did make a difference. He gave me another refill but I hesitate to use it, because of all the known side effects. I am in Florida now for 3 months and I walk, swim , use the sit down eliptical 5 days a week, but still no relief. I also follow my Ex stretching exercises everday! So , I am beginning to think this condition is going to be permanent and Ibam afraid to give my knee done now.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom