TKR This Teacher's TKR Recovery Journey

It's a good idea to let your doctor know about the skin eruptions. Perhaps another drug, such as Tramadol, could be prescribed?
 
Day 13

Got the drill sergeant PT today. 90 minutes of bending exercises. More interested in getting it to a certain number. Wasn't letting me go until it was at 95° where it was on Friday . She didn't check until after over an hour so knee was swollen and wasn't having it. So all it did was cause me great pain!!
:dead:
 
I'm so sorry. You don't need someone to push you so hard. Your knee needs to heal now. I never did very much after my revision and it helped me gain range of motion very quickly and without any pain. Tell her that session was too long and caused you a lot of pain afterwards.
 
She needs to be fired! Seriously. Hope you're feeling better now!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Day 14

Yesterday was rough, as was trying to get rest last night. I measured around the knee and I have gained which means increase in swelling. This despite almost constant ice/elevation since I got home from PT.

This morning, well I have lost some gained ground. I was starting to be able to slide leg a little in/out while laying in bed, now I need the strap or other leg to move it. The knee is still screaming from what she did. What little gains I made, I feel like were smashed by yesterday. :cry: My next PT appointment is tomorrow afternoon.

Husband went to the doctor's office while I was in PT to see about whether pain med may be causing the skin reaction. (Both offices on same floor of med building). They said they would call in afternoon. No call from them. He called again the minute they opened. Could only leave message. I'm down to one pain pill left, and not sure if that's what is causing reaction of skin eruptions.

I really do not want to eat this morning, due to pain. But hubby reminded me that skipping a meal will not help in healing. Will not take no for an answer. He's gone downstairs to go make something so I have breakfast in bed with him.
 
PT should never have caused you such pain. Don't let them do that anymore. But on a good note, you are so blessed to have such a caring husband! Many of us are alone and have to face this daily by ourselves. If I don't feel like eating, I don't even though I know I have to eat to heal. Give him a hug and kiss from us that don't have one!
 
So sorry you are having a rough time. 90 minutes of torture didn't help, just the opposite, and only two weeks from your surgery, whatever are they thinking? I think it's much too early to be worrying that you have lost ground, my OS said not to be concerned about day to day progress, but that it would become apparent as the weeks go by. Your body is doing major healing at the moment and will continue to do so for many weeks so you need to take things gently. I hear you on the pain and not wanting to eat. I lived on soup and bananas for a while. Protein drinks are good as well. I'm glad you have got such an attentive hubby, that's a blessing.
Hope you begin to feel better soon.
Love, Tabby xxx
 
@Tabbycat that was pretty much what my cuz said. 90 minutes of almost constant bending was completely counterproductive at just under 2 weeks out. Bone has been cut, hammering in of hardware, moving of tendons and muscles.....they need some time to heal before being abused like that. She was floored by what I told her the PT made me do.

I wanted to shower today instead of just a wash around. I just have not been able to gather the strength necessary for it. I was so looking forward to a hot shower and washing my hair today too. :(
 
I got my roommate to wash my hair. It felt SO good! Is there someone who would do that for you? I, too am too tired for a shower. I found the body wipes are a big help. You don't even have to rinse off after using them. That saves time and energy! When therapy comes back set up some ground rules and make sure they understand you are in control, not them! Then just pretend to do some of the exercises. And don't sweat the numbers! It seems that's all the therapist care about.
 
I finally got up and took a shower. My men wanted me to stay resting/elevating/icing today. Only one pain pill left, waiting to hear from doctor's office, but it's almost 5 so I am not holding out hope. It's gonna be a rough night :sorry:
 
Call them again!!!!! Push whatever number you need to get a real person. If no one is there get the doctor on call because he can at least call in a prescription for tramadol for you. Don't spend the night in pain.
 
waiting to hear from doctor's office, but it's almost 5 so I am not holding out hope.

Bless your heart.. that is absolute dejavu for me. I went through the very same thing.. twice. I agree with Marian above. Call any and everyone you can think of.

I called the orthopedic coordinator at the hospital where my surgery happened, explained his office would not return my calls and I was about to run out of my post-op pain med. She called them for me and they called me back within a few hours. The squeaky wheel gets the oil!

I do hope you have some extra strength tylenol on hand should they not call. It will control the pain especially if you can get someone to prescribe tramadol to take with the tylenol should you have any trouble getting your current pain reliever. I hope you don't.

I'll leave the chart for the tylenol/tramadol combination below the bonesmart forum nurse, (Josephine), gave me when I was unable to get my narcotic pain med anymore- at only 2wks out. It saved me! Just click on it to enlarge.

I'm praying for you~!

[Bonesmart.org] This Teacher's TKR Recovery Journey

:console2:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. I have the Tylenol. I'm trying to save the one pain pill for tonight so I can get some rest. That way hopefully someone can go to get the script and med for me first thing tomorrow. I just remembered my tens unit. Gonna try that for some relief too.

ETA: service called and they are relaying message to dr on call. Should hopefully get call soon. Stay tuned.....
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm happy you got through. I would let bathe doctor know you called early on the morning and no one called you back. They'll rethink the office procedures if they are bothered out of hours by their patients.
 
You know the number. Time for another call if you don't hear anything very shortly. It's the office that caused the problem.
 
  • Agree
Reactions: Suz

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom