TKR This Teacher's TKR Recovery Journey

Am home...in bed... elevated .....icing.

The CNA who brought me down was worthless. She spent more time looking at her phone or just standing there. Not sure she's ever dealt with TKR patients. Also brought a chair that did not have moveable foot rest. But now I'm home and upstairs. The knee is screaming from all the moving around and am shaking a bit from pain. It is slowly settling down. Put on a movie to distract me.

Checked the bandage, no bleeding or swelling. Just going to veg and let it calm down. Hubby went to go get my meds and some food for me.
 
I hope you're able to get some sleep tonight. If the knee is still hurting you can ice while you sleep also.
 
Good that you are home and in your own bed. Now, do nothing but heal, lay back and enjoy being waited on.
 
Hoping you're getting some good rest today. :ice:
 
Day 4

Yes. Keeping it a quiet day today. Took hot shower, did one set of exercises, and am dozing on and off. Guess I didn't get rest in hospital. Can't imagine. The raised toilet seat with handles is fantastic , even better than what I had in hospital . The hand held shower head, another winner! Got to wash my hair

Son brought me breakfast in bed. Other son's girlfriend is coming over later. Wants to cook dinner for me.

Bandage was changed on day 3 before I went home. The incision is about 3-4 inches, has 35 staples; but looks really good and should heal very well. (See pic).

Ok.... drifting from med again. Naptime:sleep:
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] This Teacher's TKR Recovery Journey
    _20160528_130803.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 249
Today I made sure to rest. Yesterday was a bombardment on my knee to get from hospital to home to upstairs in bed . I actually had the shakes from all of it and the pain. Too much, but I was at least home .

Today I dedicated to babying the knee and myself to let it rest after it all. It was a good thing too. It allowed my system to relax and let the bowels come back on line too.

Phone alarm set for next dose, nitey nite my bonesmart family. This phone keeps falling on my face as I drift off. So time to shut it down for the evening. :sleeep:
 
Hope you are starting to feel a little bit better now you are home. Wishing you a good recovery. Get lots of rest!
Love, Tabby xxx
 
Day 5

Getting some walking in by going across from bedroom to bonus room a few times today. Still elevating and icing. Still doing the PT exercises they sent me home with. Still some stiffness and soreness, but have been doing well with 1-2 pain med every 6 hours. Staying ahead of pain so far. Polar unit is wonderful!!

Bonding time today with both my boys. Watching movies and having fun together today. The oldest especially is making sure I have what I need. He needs to remember that I DO have to do some moving. Even the dogs seems to be on surveillance mode watching me. :)

The hubby....he managed to break the raised toilet seat . Instead of just using it like I do for a few weeks, he decided it was better to keep taking it off and putting it back on. It's plastic and not made for that so locking mechanism broke. Thank goodness I check each time due to paranoia of falling right now. He obviously didn't check that it was locked back on. So glad I saved $ ordering it online, so he ended up spending extra to get it locally. All because he didn't want to use it that way. (No, he's not heavy, weighs 150 soaking wet)

Have one extra day of rest before trying to go down the stairs to go to therapy on Tuesday. Not looking forward to that. 14 steps. Going up wasn't bad as it was how I was already doing it for months, it was just more exhausting. Any words of wisdom for that from those that have BTDT?
 
Have one extra day of rest before trying to go down the stairs to go to therapy on Tuesday. Not looking forward to that. 14 steps. Going up wasn't bad as it was how I was already doing it for months, it was just more exhausting. Any words of wisdom for that from those that have BTDT?
It won't do any harm at all if you don't go to PT on Tuesday. I would ask to leave it for a few more weeks, until you are more mobile and can manage those stairs with confidence.
It's too much for your knee to be going out for therapy this early in recovery.

All you need to do right now for exercise is walk around a little bit - to and from the bathroom will do for a start - and do a few Heel slides and how to do them
 
Heel slides are slow right now. Extension is good. Flexation is slow go due to swelling still. Foot pumps are going well, as is tightening glutes and quads.
 
Heel slides are slow right now
Yes, they will be. That's OK. Just bend as far as your knee wants to go without hurting. The bend will come back gradually, as the swelling goes down. No need to worry about it, or to rush.

My knee wouldn't bend at all, not one little bit, for about 5 days. It bends fine now.
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom