TKR This Teacher's TKR Recovery Journey

I hope you soon start to feel better.
 
Day 8

Got some well needed sleep last night. Only had to get up to pee :heehee:

Did my bandage change this morning. Incision looks very good. No redness or discharge at all. I even saw why I felt like I was getting poked. It is bottommost staple. Is half out so it's at awkward angle. I shifted it carefully as I put clean bandage on . The old bandage was too long for the incision, and was actually hampering flex movement. The new one is about 2-3 inches shorter and does not seem to interfere.

Off to go get dressed and go downstairs (for first time since getting home) to go to my first outpatient PT appointment.
 
Be safe and remember to ice and elevate after that PT appointment! Rest after that busy holiday weekend-hope this week finds improvement and continued healing for you.
 
PT= Physical Torture

That was rough! I know the first one is supposed to be the toughest from so many previous surgeries.

The stairs were actually not bad. The car ride was. I'm so tall that I couldn't get it straight out. Going to ride in back seat on the way home so that I can .
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I hear you. I'm not that tall but have long legs and I swear I had to allow extra time for maneuvering in and out of the car for PT and those early rides felt really long.
 
Riding home in the back seat helped a lot! Until I can bend the knee a bit more without pain I'm going to ride that way. It's actually easier to slide in that way from passenger side. Plus keeps the leg completely supported.

Once I got home, I went upstairs to my recliner. Put the foot up, and BAM...I went out like a light for about 90 minutes. I didn't even realize how exhausted I was, how much it all took out of me.
:sleeep:
 
Everything takes so much out of you. Sleep, ice, elevate, repeat...
 
Day 9

As you can tell from an early post, sleep was not restful. Some lingering pain post PT. It didn't help either that husband has to be at work at 4 am, so his alarm went off too . Just gonna use @KarriB 's mantra: sleep, ice, elevate, repeat....

Husband's early roll in for work also means one son or myself will have to do my 6 am injection :yikes:
 
O my. Not what I would want to wake up to. Hopefully you don't have to do it for very long. I was glad I just had pills to take. Sleep whenever you can.
 
It ends up being me to do self injection of blood thinner. Actually it wasn't too bad.

My son surprised me and went out and got me a salad with a nice piece of steak on top for lunch. Wants to make sure I'm getting enough protein and veggies. I guess I've taught him well about correlation between eating healthy and healing well.
 
What a wonderful son. You definitely did teach him right. You are very brave giving yourself the injection. I'm not sure I could.
 
Day 10....

Had to do my own blood thinner injection again this morning. Husband had another early morning shift. Only 4 more injections to go !!

Woke up in quite some pain, but because I forgot to set my phone alarm as I drifted off last night. So ended up skipping a pain med dose. Not the most fun way to begin the day. My boys got my polar unit refilled pretty quickly which helped.

Today will be second PT visit. Will let him know Wed left me quite sore. Hopefully he will listen. Not sure, but he seems a bit green to this. His immediate supervisor said she was hoping to get me to 90° today. So I know her mindset is all about the numbers.
 
You are getting to be a pro with the injections. Make sure the PT listens especially since you woke up in such pain today. It's still very early to want to be at 90 degrees. You have plenty of time to get there.
 
I agree with Marian. No need to rush to get the numbers. You have all teh time in the world, because ROM (Range of Motion) can continue to improve for a year, or even longer, after a TKR.
Just make sure the therapists treat your knee gently.
 
Much better today. I have been doing my at home exercises faithfully, even made spreadsheet checklist. Got to 95°. :)

Did speak with him and the mentor. Was good visit. He even apologized for last time and pushing me, hoped I didn't hate him for it. I asked if he felt the voodoo pins I was using that night. :rotfl:
 
@Kazilla you should be proud of yourself! You are doing well and your sons are a blessing! Keep up the good work and don't let pt hurt you at all! When you ride in the back, don't forget the ice & pillows to elevate on.
 
Elevate in backseat is easy. Ice not so much. PT does ice it right before I leave though.

But once I get home and upstairs.... elevated and polar ice unit on full throttle. :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Day 11...

I may need to stop the oxycodone. I have been getting some skin eruptions. I wasn't sure what it was. Only med difference is that. Although I've it before, it was for a few days, not like I'm taking it now for the TKR. I looked it up, and sure enough there is a minor side effect of skin eruptions. When I looked up the images, it looks like what I have. I'm going to try just extra strength Tylenol today to see if it cuts pain enough. Will call doc on monday, unless pain isn't controlled with just Tylenol.
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom