TKR This Teacher's TKR Recovery Journey

@Celle yes, I know. Not rushing it. I know things will be slow coming back. That's why I've taken an entire summer to do nothing but rest/recover from this. My knee is just barely bending. But I can measure around it and compare to non surgical knee, there's considerable swelling. Not much will come back until that comes down a bit.

As for PT, they gave me an appt for Tuesday. But gave me that info on Friday after 5. Actually, it is quite difficult to go that afternoon as it would take hubby to drop me with my car, and our oldest to pick me up. There's no way I can get into his Nissan, too low. So it's easy to move that appointment.

Right now...two sons are trying to cook dinner. This should be interesting....lol
 
Your boys sound wonderful, what a blessing.

My daughter can cook, but her boyfriend is an incredible cook. I might have to fly him up after surgery :rofsign:
 
I had seen Pittsburgh Steeler, Jerome Bettis do it after games and tried it when my knees became painful. So it wasn't new for me. I still go down backward when I have a load of laundry and drag the basket down too. It's safer than me carrying the basket down forward.
 
Day 6

Up early today as both hubby and oldest son work until about 2pm today. That meant getting my blood thinner injection about 30 minutes early . Not too much pain this morning, still considerable stiffness, but I am making sure to stay on schedule with the pain meds.

Measured around the knee, down a quarter inch. Went through my post op exercises. Feeling sleepy this morning. Took a protein bar, pain med and will try for some additional shut eye. Eyes seeming to drift even as I type this. Keep seeing random letters/numbers, that's how I know I nodded off.

My oldest has promised grilled burgers later for dinner. He's really been great these first days home. My younger one, well he promised to clean his room and do his laundry.

Heading back to snooze ville. :alarm:
 
@Kazilla, good morning to you. It sounds like you're doing well this morning. You are blessed to be able to take your pain meds and get some sleep. Kiss your wonderful sons for me! I'm jealous, I'll be alone almost all of the time.
 
Sleep is a good thing, your body is working hard to heal and that uses a lot of energy.
 
@sistersinhim thank you for your kind words. I do feel blessed to have raised two wonderful sons. You can always PM me for virtual chats :)

@KarriB it's crazy. I will be doing something one minute, and just drift off with almost no warning. I have to remind myself that my body is in major recovery mode.

Today's thoughts: The hardest thing for me so far is the wait. Wait for healing, wait for food, wait to be taken out (feel like the pups for that one). For those of us that are independent, and are go-getters these first few post op weeks are awful. I was already frustrated prior due to how the knee interfered with day to day activities. Now, after surgery, it is magnified.

I'm a teacher who always preferred to stroll around room as I taught. That got scaled back due to crutches most of the year. Which got scaled back further as knee became bone on bone. I was swimming, working out prior and again that came to a stop also.

I think the point here is that this time is a difficult period in the recovery for those of us who are usually active people. Maybe this is where the post op depression comes from. Not sure. I myself am trying to stay mentally active. Word search, audio book, movies with my kids. Things to keep my mind occupied.

Forgive the rambling...I'm still on the pain med :heehee:
 
But always remember that you are going to be able to do more and more and not lose more and more ability. You will get back to all the activities that you have been missing.
 
I know. I keep reminding myself that I'm no longer in a "holding" pattern anymore. That now, each day brings me closer to where I want to be. Small steps (yes...pun intended :) )
 
Hello!
It is great to have family help and support! I don't know what I would do without mine. They are holding down the fort at him and at the child care center I own.
I believe this is also critical in our recuperation... Less stress!
Wishing you a stress free recovery
 
My oldest brought home a get well card. Made the front my new profile photo. It's a turtle with an ace bandage. Inside it says:
It's not the speed that matters. It's the getting there.

Talk about perfect:)
 
We all need to print off that card and display it need to us to remind us that in this healing time, we are the tortoise not the rabbit!
 
I have something similar for you:
[Bonesmart.org] This Teacher's TKR Recovery Journey
 
I would literally doze off in the middle of a conversation! Patience and lack of independence was difficult for me also as I've lived alone for over 30 years. My BFF and I switched roles when I had my TKR. I had always been a care giver for her as she's been fighting cancer for 23 years and had a TKR a year before me. It was an eye opening experience for both of us, we learned a lot. Some of us need to learn how to accept help, I was one of those people.
 
I've almost dozed mid conversation. I did mid game on my phone. The boys thought that was hysterical.

Well, another day closer to walking pain free is done. Nite nite all :sleeep:
 
Day 7....a whole week with my new knee.

Really bad night last night. Oldest did some grilling. This included hot dogs. It turns out he didn't get kosher dogs. So these were filled with nitrates and stuff. I was not feeling well all night and by 2 or so it became full on migraine. My reaction to the garage in them.

Seems like everyone needs to call today after the three day weekend too. Good thing we moved PT to tomorrow morning. I need a nap....:sleep:
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom