TKR The Knees and Me - staged

Agreed. Don't tell her. I did NO exercises outside of PT and never told my therapist I was slacking. If I told him anything, it was that I walked a lot (true) and how helpful a certain exercise (whichever one I thought had been useful) was.
 
Yikes! Just looked outside and saw a bear checking out the trash can! My husband had to yell at him a few times to get him to move on . Bear didn't look too worried.

:shocked:
 
After that startle, back to knee stuff :dancy:

Keeping mum about the lack of exercise sounds like a plan :heehee:

If knees get well without a lot of PT, why do they push it? This is a young girl too, so wouldn't she have the latest info?
 
Ruby, I believe a lot of it is a money issue for why PT is suggested. You don't have to say a thing about what you are or aren't doing. It's really none of their business. You are the employer, they are the employee. What you say goes, not the other way around.

Some people truly need PT, but not aggressive exercise. That only slows down healing and increases pain. Oh, and yes, any movement is exercise. You are using your knee and that's working it!
 
That's THE question many have been asking.
Though the young woman physiotherapist who comes here has had the "BoneSmart- like" training. BUT she did say to me when I asked her, that not all who trained with her thought the same way. She said it had to do with which doctors or institutions they first hitched up with.
She worked first on a geriatric floor and knows us older folks need more time to heal.
:yes:
 
Gosh, I'm not sure why they push PT... well... actually... it's because PT is a BIG money maker. I recall a dinner with the director of a regional hospital group who predicted, back in 1993, that PT would be a billion dollar industry in that region alone. He was right. At that time, PT was hospital and sports based. Since then, through outpatient PT facilities, it's exploded even more. It's a $30 billion industry in the US.

My OS wants all his patients to do initial PT because he wants to make sure they at least do some moving around right after surgery. If at six weeks he sees that the patient is doing well, he doesn't care about PT. My PT guy, though, wanted me to do another 20 weeks! Why? Because my insurance would pay for that much. Only reason. My OS was fine with me stopping it.

Don't get me wrong: PT can be quite useful. I'm glad I did it, because I think it did help me some. But the reason there is such a push to do more and more PT is more likely to be financial than because every patient needs that much.
 
PT went much better than expected, maybe because I growled when the therapist asked how I was doing. After that we cracked jokes and had a good time and she never asked if I had done any exercising.

By the time we got home it turned out that the bear had figured out the lock on the trash can. The lid was off and the single bag of trash had been dragged up into the woods a way. I'm just glad he didn't strew it all over the yard.
 
Good that PT went better than you anticipated! I'm glad you didn't have to come up with a statement about your home exercises!

You must have picked up that growl from that bear, who just might be a problem. You must be in a rural area. So am I, but I haven't seen any bears, just raccoons, possums, fox, and bunnies!
 
@sistersinhim, it's pretty rural here, that's why we moved here. But in 30 years I've never seen a bear strolling around in broad daylight. We get the 'coons, possums, and deer and I enjoy watching them. Don't really want a bear close to the house, though.
 
I'll just echo what Susie said about PT being a huge $$$ maker. Sure, there are many of us who benefit from some PT, and on good days, I *think* I am one of those. On bad days? Well...don't ask!

Yikes, there really IS a bear in those woods!
 
Oh, Ruby, I forgot about the white tail deer. It's nothing to see a half a dozen walking through the back yard. During my recoup time while icing and elevating, I had my recliner near the window where I could look out and see them. They especially liked my grape vines! No matter how bad you feel, when you see God's gentle creatures, you're going to feel better! But, seeing a bear in broad daylight is scary. He almost sounds tame.

Now, if we could just get rid of another upcoming heat wave and get a little rain. Have you found that this humidity hurts your knees? What about storms? They did my new knee for about 6 months or so. Now, just my old one is bothered by them. I'm on the SE side of Richmond. Where are you?
 
Good job with your PT. Mine is today - I am definitely going for low key, since I am making strides in reducing swelling. Smart bear!
 
@sistersinhim, I live about 30 miles north of Roanoke. The bear will make summer interesting, but some hunter will get him this fall.
 
Woke up today rested and happy--yay! Maybe because I took control of my meds rather than calling my husband when I thought it was time. I put my phone by the bed so I could look up the time. Did the bathroom thing, took the pill, and slept until morning. My husband has been so dedicated...I'm glad I was able to let him sleep.
 
You know you have a keeper (even after decades) when your mate tends to you without complaint through a knee replacement surgery. It's grinding, and might be on a par with serious traumatic injuries. I haven't any experience with the latter. But knee replacement can put a heavy burden on caregivers. I was very self-sufficient early on, but still relied a lot on Mr. Shoes. Mostly I did it because he was available, and asking him to bring me a meal was so much easier than fending for myself. It felt good after about three to four weeks to be able to take over all those little impositions and do them myself. Letting them know we appreciate them and love them even more than ever goes a long way as a reward. :loveshwr:
 
Great news Rubyyarn! A good night's sleep makes such a difference and I know your hubby appreciated your self-sufficiency with the meds. I echo @SusieShoes sentiments when it comes to the role of caregivers for a TKR patient; not easy! I haven't taken back everything I normally do as yet, but probably 75%, and added a few little, extra perks for Mistah that I never did pre-surgically such as setting up his coffee each night. It really is the little things in life that matter.:SUNsmile:
 
Ruby, you're in the the beautiful mountain area!

Wow, what a good night you had! And taking over some of our own care is a huge blessing! Each baby step in this recovery adds to a big step! The best is yet to come!
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom