TKR The Knees and Me - staged

@rubyyarn, I could just picture you sitting at WalMart and trying to look blase, lol. I think you're doing very well, but also think you're doing a lot, obviously too much for the natural knee. Mine also acts up if I overdo and the trick, of course, is finding that sweet spot in that fine line....not easy! I'd like to keep the natural knee for at least a year, so I'm a bit on the conservative side with any and all exercise. When in doubt, just remember, less is more.
 
I cancelled PT for this week to allow my arthritic knee to get its act together. We went to town again today and both knees did OK, maybe because I rode the electric carts in the stores. I'm not fond of those carts, because they are always doing weird stuff, but they do spare the knee! I got plenty of exercise walking back and forth from the parking lots. My new knee, I think, was happy with the workout. The other one kept its opinion to itself, thank goodness!

The Percocet/ibuprofen combo seems to be working well. The Percocet is down to every 8 hours with some help from the ibuprofen. Percocet for the surgery pain, ibuprofen for any inflammation. Crossing my fingers to be off of both of them soon.

Got a kick out of the Pouty Face discussion this morning. Knowing all of you has certainly lightened this recovery.
:roseshwr:
 
I'm late to the party but had to chuckle at the bear discussion. I'm in rural Virginia, too, and a bear gouged some pretty big holes in my outdoor trash can a couple of weeks ago but didnt quite get the lid off. This made my boyfriend think that maybe he interrupted the bear when he was leaving for work early one morning and he promptly moved the can farther away from the driveway. This bear has been messing with me for years- stealing bird feeders, scratching at trees and making my dogs bark at weird hours, and now assaulting the garbage can! I'm getting a wildlife camera when I get my next paycheck because I'm dying to get a look at him!
 
Yeah, bears are usually shy and do their thing at night. Not this guy. Reminded me of a joke:

Where does a 500 pound gorilla sit?
Wherever he wants to.
 
Those carts are a menace sometimes. I wanted to use one in the grocery store, but Mr. Shoes was afraid I'd topple some produce or a display of ketchup or something. I never did try one. They're just the thing, though, for a TKR.

Our new knees like a little activity, don't they? Some walking, some puttering around the house or running an errand. Just enough to keep them loose and a little bendy. Too much, of course, and they swell and complain. It's a fine line. But they benefit from moving.

If I saw a bear in my backyard, I'd freak. That's not happened in my neighborhood, but there have been some reported not too terribly far from here. Hope yours behaves itself!
 
Those carts can be the pits! I can walk faster, even with a cane. But they are convenient for traveling acres of concrete. I've managed not to run into anything (except when backing up). The biggest problem is other shoppers. They can't or won't see you at that level.

Arthritic knee appreciated the cart. New knee was all "C'mon, get a move on!"
 
Too true. Carts are too slow to be any fun. I was using them now and then before the surgery on my bad days and at first I was afraid I'd knock something over at first but they turn better than you might think. I went shopping for the first time few days ago and the cart was a lifesaver. It will be a few more weeks before I can use a regular cart as a walker.
 
Those motorized carts were a blessing to me after my tkr and broken foot/ankle. But, the worst thing was having to watch out for other shoppers. They can be down right rude. I will certainly be more aware of those in those carts from now on.
 
Instead of regular therapy today, the head therapist decided it was time for another evaluation. Medicare has a form that asks how well you do things like picking stuff up, getting into the car, etc. And there were about 5 questions about running, changing directions while running, and hopping! Hopping? Yeah, in my dreams!

Anyway, she checked my ROM and it was 110. She hemmed and hawed a bit, had me try another exercise, and it was 115. She hemmed and hawed about cutting me loose today, then decided on another session Wednesday to see if I could still get 115. If I do, I'm done with PT!

Then I see the doc Monday. I hope to be off of the Percocet by then, but I'm playing that by ear. So far today the Tylenol seems to be working pretty well. I'm icing more, though.

Tonight will tell. :prayer:
 
wow!! 115 is great for where you are in recovery -- I hope they release you. Those must be standard questions -- I have to do that every 4 weeks for my PT -- we call it the mid-term exam and joke that I am a C student - and I always beg to get an A. Anyway, the question about hopping always gives my PT and I a good laugh.
 
That's great flexion for your stage of recovery! Tylenol and ice is a dandy pain-killing combo. It's a guessing game, back and forth as to when you're ready, but it'll be soon.
 
@rubyyarn, I wonder if my Silly-Walking counts as hopping? If so, you could try some on your next store outing instead of a cart. I'm fairly certain all other shoppers would make way, lol! Hard to believe, but I never did try one of those carts, perhaps because I am accident prone? Yes, that's it!
Your flexion is absolutely fabulous for just 6 weeks; congratulations! :dancy:
 
yes, i agree, you flexion is fabulous for 6 weeks. hope you will be released soon so you can get back to your normal routine.:yes:
 
Yesterday's PT was rather strange. I had been told I would be cut loose if I could repeat the 115 flex. Instead, I was faced with a therapist I had never seen before so I had to explain what was going on. She sat me on a flat table and had me bend my leg. Before I knew what was happening she pushed on my foot! I hollered "Don't push!" She looked at me like I had sprouted a third eye. "Don't push? Why?" "'Cause it's cheating!" I said. "I have to do it myself." So I bent my leg and she measured. "Is it 115?" I asked. "Oh, at least that," she said.

Then we walked down the street while she followed me. After stepping up and down from the curb a few times we went back. Then she had me step up and down on a block for a while. After making me solemnly swear to practice balancing on one leg at home, I got out of there.

Today we went to town where I walked at both Krogers and Wal-Mart. We also got haircuts and then went out to lunch. Right now my knee is on ice and my foot is in the air. All in all, a good day.
 
Yay for stopping that PT! You are exactly right, even if it didn't hurt you, it still wouldn't count. 115 on your own is super!
 
You Passed!!! Congratulations :happydance:- hope the foot push didn't cause too much after effect swelling. I find it so interesting to hear about all the different tests that different PTs use to gauge progress.
 
Yes, I'm glad that's done. Actually, I think it was a blessing that physical therapy couldn't be arranged until 2 weeks after surgery. I got to heal a bit first.

Don't know when the other knee will happen, I see the doc Monday. Meanwhile this knee is on it's way.
 
Yay! You get the PT Command Medal for demonstrating how to control your PT experience. What is it that some PT people feel this need to manhandle their clients? You handled it perfectly and your knee thanks you. So great to hear it's doing so splendidly. From this point on there will be more good days than bad days, and you'll really enjoy all the benefits of having had the surgery.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom